Zhuge Liang's Types of Generals

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang's Types of Generals

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:39 am

I recently finished reading Zhuge Liang's "Mastering the Art of War" and in the book, he lists the types of generals there are. He lists nine types of generals in this section. Why I mention this is that I was wondering who (you think) in the era would best personify these generals or who would fall under these descriptions? Being able to witness some of the greatest people of his time, surely Kongming was, even for the slightest bit, influenced when he was writing this or found officers who resemble his list.

So without further ado, I'll list the nine types of generals:

1) Those who guide with virtue, who treat all equally with courtesy, who know when the troops are cold and hungry, and who notice when they are weary and pained, are called humanistic generals.

2) Those who do not try to avoid any task, who are not influenced by profit, who would die with honour before living in disgrace, are called dutiful generals.

3) Those who are not arrogant because of their high status, who do not make much of their victories, who are wise but can humble themselves, who are strong but can be tolerant, are called courteous generals.

4) Those whose extraordinary shifts are unfathomable, whose movements and responses are multifaceted, who turn disaster into fortune and seize victory from the jaws of danger, are called clever generals.

5) Those who give rich rewards for going ahead and have strict penalties for retreating, whose rewards are given right away and whose penalties are the same for all ranks, even the highest, are called trustworthy generals.

6) Those who go on foot or on a war-horse, with the mettle to take on a hundred men, who are skilled in the use of close-range weapons, swords, and spears, are called infantry generals.

7) Those who face dizzying heights and cross the dangerous defiles, who can shoot at a gallop as if in flight, who are in the vanguard when advancing and in the rear when withdrawing, are called cavalry generals.

8) Those who mettle makes the armies tremble and who determination makes light of powerful enemies, who are hesitant to engage in petty fights while courageous in the midst of major battles, are called fierce generals.

9) Those who consider themselves lacking when they see the wise, who go along with good advice like following a current, who are magnanimous yet able to be firm, who are uncomplicated yet have many strategies, are called great generals.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Guan Yan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:07 am

Where can i find this book I would be interested to know :D
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:09 am

guan yan wrote:Where can i find this book I would be interested to know :D

Local (large) book store?
Mikhail

Unread postby Guan Yan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:19 am

I wish ther is nothing around here that has anything to do with three kingdoms period, Can you reccomend a store name where i can buy it or a website where I can purchase it?
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 am

guan yan wrote:I wish ther is nothing around here that has anything to do with three kingdoms period, Can you reccomend a store name where i can buy it or a website where I can purchase it?

Here's a website

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Art-Shambhala-Dragon-Editions/dp/B000SNUTE6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209003648&sr=8-1

Since I don't know where you live, I really can't recommend a store, so a website would have to do.

But, back to the matter at hand... Does anyone fit into any of these categories?
Mikhail

Unread postby Guan Yan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:23 am

Thank this book seems interesting :D
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wang Can » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:09 am

Like most of that particular book, it's difficult to see what anyone is supposed to take from this. First, the categories clearly are not exclusive to each other, so it doesn't seem as if we have kinds of generals, but rather desirable traits that generals might have. I'll take a clever humanistic cavalry general, please!

Going by the novel, Liu Bei was humanistic, Guan Yu dutiful, Zhang Fei fierce, and Zhuge Liang himself clever.

We certainly can't categorize each general by these types, since they are all meritorious. Somehow, these seem almost like titles that a supreme commander might bequeath as terms of honor, since I'm not sure what value these could have as analytic categories.
Wang Can
Apprentice

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:57 am

Hmmm wouldn't anyone agree that Zhuge Liang's most favoured general is Zhao Yun?

I think that the only person whom Zhuge can trust with most of daunting task and never let Him down is Zhao Yun...
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:52 am

I think his favorite is Wei Yan
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:43 am

guan yan wrote:I think his favorite is Wei Yan

I think that was a joke,

Lonely_dragon wrote:Hmmm wouldn't anyone agree that Zhuge Liang's most favoured general is Zhao Yun?

I think that the only person whom Zhuge can trust with most of daunting task and never let Him down is Zhao Yun...

And I think you've got a valid point...
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium