On Sima Yi and traitorness

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

On Sima Yi and traitorness

Unread postby DianWei » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:38 am

it is my opinion that sima yi is really not a traitor and is seemingly regarded as one consistently, as far as i understand he had nothing but pure loyalty for the house of wei, however the same cannot be said about his sons... did i miss something in the book or what?
Im in ur vanguard, vanquishin ur d00ds.
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunJian » Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:09 am

First post!

I don't think Sima Yi is a traitor. He got rid of Cao Shuang so as to strengthen Wei, since Shuang was just corrupted with pleasures, unable to attend to his duties correctly. Afterwards, Sima Yi reinstated the Caos, meaning he did not desire the imperial throne. His behaviour was also exemplary against Zhuge Liang in his Northern Campaigns. He was an almost perfect general and excellent politician. He was most definitely not a traitor.
SunJian
Apprentice

Unread postby Xiao He » Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:14 am

SunJian wrote:First post!

I don't think Sima Yi is a traitor. He got rid of Cao Shuang so as to strengthen Wei, since Shuang was just corrupted with pleasures, unable to attend to his duties correctly. Afterwards, Sima Yi reinstated the Caos, meaning he did not desire the imperial throne. His behaviour was also exemplary against Zhuge Liang in his Northern Campaigns. He was an almost perfect general and excellent politician. He was most definitely not a traitor.

But what did Sima Yi do after he died? He handed over military and political power to his sons. We can read that both ways but considering what Sima Shi and Sima Zhao later did, it seems to be quite obvious. :)
Xiao He
Apprentice

Unread postby DianWei » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:54 pm

wha?
with that kind of logic you could say that liu bei destroyed shu, because he had liu chan succeed him...
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:20 pm

correct word = treachery
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Mitsunari Ishida » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:19 pm

Although in the end his family bought peace to the land, and ruled well, he still was a traitor to the Cao family.
Mitsunari Ishida
Scholar

Unread postby DianWei » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:35 pm

Zhou Gongjin wrote:correct word = treachery

ya... i had no idea... i seriously thought that the word was traitorness :roll:
meanwhile.... sima yi wasnt a traitor it was his sons, he didnt even, to my knowedge instill the ideas in his sons...
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby lordostrategy » Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:51 pm

*buzzer sounds*

W-R-O-N-G

He did fight against Wei. He rebelled against Cao Fang. He did it after Fang went on the hunting trip with Shuang. That was a result of Shuang stealing his military powers. That is what he demanded before they be let back into Xu Chang. :wink:
Try this, you Wuists!

"If Wu was truly the greatest Kingdom, then why did Jin work them like a part time job?" -Justin
Want this buried into your skull? WWO ALL THE WAY!
lordostrategy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Trying to get a lame title from Zhou Dexiang and James... SSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postby Xiao He » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:16 am

DianWei wrote:wha?
with that kind of logic you could say that liu bei destroyed shu, because he had liu chan succeed him...

The only hereditary position was that of a King or Emperor. Sima Yi was a minister and there is no law which says it was hereditary. He had to give it back to the Court and let the Court decide who replaced him.

But Sima Yi handed over military and political power to his two sons and said there would be danger if they lost it. Is that not a sign of abusing and preserving immense power for the Simas?
Xiao He: High Minister of Han Gaozu
Xiao He
Apprentice

Unread postby Zhilong » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:25 am

I agree with Xiao He.

Like Cao Cao he illegitimately seizes military power and then expands his power base. Does he not then start killing the Cao's, starting with Cao Shuang & co. Xiaohou Ba even ends up surrendering to Jiang Wei.

Compare the situation upon his death when he hands over the power to his sons with Zhuge Liangs death. A marked difference.
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium