Guan Yu and Zhang Fei!!!

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who do you think is the better fighter

Guan Yu
40%
Zhang fei
60%

Total votes : 57

Guan Yu and Zhang Fei!!!

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:56 pm

I have put up this thread because Guan and Zhang are said to be equal and said to be able to fight 10,000 men but who do you think is the better fighter, I will say Guan for his feats of strength and skill on the battlefeild and Guan having alot more praise then Zhang but Cheng Yu Claimed them equal what is your opinion.

Cheng praised them greater then others, one of the warriors of Cheng's time being Dain wei who with his force defeated Lu Bu's force in which they both participated in battle Dain wei sending them runing with over 10 halberds in his hands. Guan And Zhang better then that is pretty good so Who do you think a greater warrior Zhang Fei or Guan yu.
Last edited by Guan Yan on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Interesting.

I think that Zhang Fei's fight into Shu following Liu Bei is very impressive. He took initiative and showed some real tactical thinking. He was strong and capable as a general.

Guan Yu was charged with more responsibility and ultimately failed in those.

Who's to say if they changed positions if Guan Yu would have been just as great as Zhang Fei when going into Shu? Also, what would have happened if Zhang Fei stayed in Jing Zhou? Would the outcome be better or worse?

My feelings is that they're pretty similar in quality, I feel Zhang Fei did better when on his own in the battlefield than Guan Yu, but Guan did some pretty amazing stuff when he dueled.

Guan Yu also seemed amazing when he had a leader to guide him- being on his own with just a bunch of nobs in Jing Zhou was pretty disastrous for him because I feel he needed quality guidance, and guidance he would respect.

So I think they're equal all in all.. as far as I know! :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:04 pm

Wow... after seeing this in almost every post by guan yan concerning Guan Yu, there is finally a thread concerning this "quote" if you will.

Well, for my tastes, Zhang Fei was the better fighter. His fighting prowess could have possibly translated into his victories in battle.

However impressive Guan Yu's charge against Yan Liang was, I cannot really be sure if that's because of his amazing fighting ability or if it was because there was a lack of preparation in the part of Yan Liang.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby MistroPain » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Whoever could scream, startle 10,000 Wei troops, cause thousands to fall of their horses and even give one a heart attack causing him to die DEFINATLY wins.
This and that he is both smart (when not drunk) and an extremely capable warrior, although i would say in a duel Guan Yu would have beaten Zhang Fei no doubt about it.
BTW Guan Yan i think you should poll this thread, it'll be interesting to see how many people vote Guan Yu and how many vote Zhang Fei, just to say mine goes to Zhang Fei. Although Guan Yu has a much better storyline but thats a different subject.
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:28 pm

One of Guan's victorys i like is he fouught against yu jin were they both participated and guan won, (praise from lu xun on this.) Also his victory when him and pang de fought on the battlefeild and Guan sent them retreating at old age even though he was shot by an arrow his ability in fighting and military skills were praised here.

Zhang fei though strong put fear into other soliders from his apperence (chang ban) but strength does not mean you have good fighting ability. I would say there bravery in battle was equal. But when it comes to praise Guan yu with Cao Cao, lu xun, cheng yu, zhuge liang if you can say he did from the letter but its a bit shifty, but i dobt he lied, even Lu meng said Guan yu is known for his military prowess he will not be easliy overcome. so in military skills to he must have tuaght his men good fighting skill.

sorry i dont know how to put up polls can you tell me please.
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:58 pm

In your default (first) post. Edit it, and go all the way to the bottom. It will say poll, and "add option". Just add the options.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks Corgan :D
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:18 am

As a warrior, Guan Yu simply for the fact he killed a general and showed bravery with the wound whereas Zhang Fei only has Cheng Yu's comment
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Elitemsh » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:38 am

guan yan wrote:One of Guan's victorys i like is he fouught against yu jin were they both participated and guan won, (praise from lu xun on this.) Also his victory when him and pang de fought on the battlefeild and Guan sent them retreating at old age even though he was shot by an arrow his ability in fighting and military skills were praised here.

Yu Jin's army was on open ground in front of the city Fan and hence they was easily destroyed by the flooding. Guan Yu could take advantage because he already had boats prepared since for his attack on Fan he would have to approach by river first whether there was flooding or not. In other words, the evidence clearly points towards the fact that Guan Yu was extremely fortunate here and showed little skill as a general or warrior.

I assume you are referring to Lu Xun's letter when you mentioned him praising Guan Yu. This praise was not genuine. Lu Xun was using a strategy he learnt from the art of war, that is: 'use humiilty to make your opponent haughty'. Lu Xun was acting intentionally humble and weak and feeding Guan Yu's arrogance. The fact that this strategy actually worked on Guan Yu shows the latter's lack of competence.

Like Yu Jin, Pang De's army was destroyed by natural disaster. Guan Yu was able to capture him for the same reasons as Yu Jin. Historically, there was no duel between Guan Yu and Pang De.

Guan Yu was shot by an arrow but not when he captured Pang De and Yu Jin.
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:24 am

I did not mean he had a fight like a duel i mean a battle in which they both fought but not each other. Also yeah i know the flood had a major impact i am just pointing out the fight and pang de's force i dont think was affected by natural causes when they had the first fight. Then they battled on boats the second time :D

Also the letter from Lu xun was to gain Guan Yu's trust but i am pointing out, just because he gave praise to gain trust does not mean it is not true what one says.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium