Cao Cao trust worthy?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Cao Cao trust worthy?

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:49 am

I do not think Cao Cao is trust worthy especial since the wang hou insident, poor Wang hou he really did not deserve death and was loyal and Cao Cao killed him and put disgrace to his name by saying he was the cause of the short supplies.
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:22 am

Phew... this is quite a thread to start.. was Cao Cao trust worthy?

Well, I'd say that his close generals and advisers could trust him. He was very loyal and trusting of them- Zhang Liao, Cao Ren and a host of other generals were left pretty much to do their thang while Cao Cao enjoyed their wins.

I dont think he was any less or more trust worthy with failed people than any other warlord- I mean, most of the warlords would execute people who they thought were responsible for failures.

Even if Wang Hou was ultimately innocent it's not the first and wont be the last person who died from an untimely and unjust execution.

I think the commoners could generally trust Cao's men to be pretty ok.. Cao wasn't the best with the commoners, but he did build all kids of schools and take care of civil affairs very well.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:33 am

Was Wang Hou thing historical? I forget

Certainly Cao Cao was not someone you wanted to upset or face if you lived in a city that just rebelled. He was a warlord, not everything he did was just or fair but think you could rely on him as much as anyone can on a warlord
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:55 am

I think it was historical i read it in the art of war commantary.

Wang hou was a loyal and good person Cao Cao killed him so he would not look bad sure it was a good plan but an evil one he could have handled the situation in better ways.
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 am

How? If the novel is accurate, so please correct me if I'm wrong, he was killed to keep the army from rioting over lack of food?

For the record, can't find him in Rafe's tome though that isn't always an answer to real or fictional but can't find him in any translated sgz, ZZTJ and encyclopaedia says he is fictional
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:38 am

If he is fictional that is different but where i read it, it was to stop the men from rioting but still he would not deserve it.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:44 am

Did Wang deserve it? If novel is accurate then no, however the state is greater then the individual for warlords
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 am

true but it could have been settled in a better way then kill a loyal servent as wang hou.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:27 am

How though? The troops have to be pacified and extra troop rations are not an option
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:29 am

by telling the truth and asking them to continue with honour it would not have changed the outcome to much.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium