Zhuge Liang books

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang books

Unread postby Lord_LuBu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:26 am

I am looking for any books based on Zhuge Liang or translations he may have made. Anything on Zhuge Liang would be much appreciated. Also maybe where I could buy it but mostly of anything I can look for on him. It must be in English though. Thanks :)
Ambition is the only limitation to man.
Lord_LuBu
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:31 am

I don't think any of his actually survived. There is the "Way of the General" but is most likely a forgery trying to take advantage of Zhuge Liang's reputation

we have his sgz at kongming.net but best I can think of
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:06 am

Isn't there a book by Zhuge Liang? "Mastering the Art of War"? I dont think it's about him though, just by him.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_LuBu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Yeah, its a translation of the Art of War and he has commentaries and other bits of info. I have it and its really neat. Just wondering if there is other info. In the book there is a bunch of stuff written by him like letters to his nephew, son and other stuff. I was wondering if there was maybe a book that contains all know info that he wrote himself. The art of war is the only one where I have found a good deal of info about him
Lord_LuBu
Assistant

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:14 pm

I personally dont know anything other than Mastering the Art of War (which is a book I've always wanted to read seeing as it's by Zhuge Liang!), so.. sorry about that, hope someone else can point you in the right direction.

I think that about the only thing I could suggest otherwise is reading Zhuge Liang's SGZ bio which would give you the full lowdown on his life and times, but it wont give you anything personal about him which is what I think you're probably looking for. :roll:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:13 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I don't think any of his actually survived. There is the "Way of the General" but is most likely a forgery trying to take advantage of Zhuge Liang's reputation

we have his sgz at kongming.net but best I can think of

I have Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' with the commentaries. This partcular copy includes Zhuge Liang's 'Way of the General'. This copy of the Way of the General' is exactly the same as the one on kongming.net.

Dong Zhuo, I do not believe that this document is a forgery. All the information in it is consistent with Zhuge Liang's mentality and there is no reason to suggest that it is false.
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_LuBu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:24 pm

What is thw Way of the general about? Is it all his own words or is it based on other texts? The art of war is commentaries about Sun Tzu's art of war but is Way of the General his own thoughts about strategy?
Lord_LuBu
Assistant

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Lord_LuBu, Mastering the Art of War is simply the name of the book in which Zhuge Liang's "The Way of the General" is published. Mastering the Art of War is not a translation of The Art of War, and Zhuge Liang's "commentary" on Sunzi is very general (i.e. it doesn't refer directly to specific passages all that often).

So, yeah, people are just getting some titles mixed up. Mastering the Art of War is a little collection translated by Thomas Cleary, which contains original texts by Zhuge Liang ("The Way of the General") and Liu Ji.

(For what it's worth, the whole of Mastering the Art of War is also published as its own section in a larger edition of The Art of War by the same publisher.)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lord_LuBu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:32 pm

I'm looking fo Zhuge Liangs work so what would be the best one to get? I already have a completetranslation of Sun Tzu's art of war and wondering whats the best one to get concerning Zhuge Liang.

I'm looking at Amazon and it has a softcover for 10 dollars (134 pages) and hardover for 5.99 (224 pages) and the hardcover is pub. 2005 and the soft is 1989, why is the hardcover cheaper when its newer, its a hardcover, and it has tons more pages? Whats the best publication because there are so many. Thanks a bunch.
Lord_LuBu
Assistant

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:06 am

"Way of the General" is on KMA, right here, though I don't know how that's legal.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium