Cao Cao's Luckiest Break

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Cao Cao's Luckiest Break

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:04 pm

What was Cao's luckiest break? What made him more powerful by default than the other two main antagonists?

I would do a poll, but there are so many, it's hard to list them all!

-Tongy.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mr Liang » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:12 pm

When he fell into Lu Bu's trap and Lu Bu accosted him and asked him where Cao Cao was.
"Writers always have the last word, probably because we have so many of them." -Gore Vidal
Mr Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:29 pm

When Wei Yan in Hanzhong just shot out his teeths and not his head.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Zhilong » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:07 pm

When the emperor pretty much fell into his arms. Using the emperor as his puppet he had a huge political advantage, able to order the other warlords around under the pretence of legitimate authority.
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:58 pm

In terms of pure luck, Lu Bu's cavalryman failing to recognise him
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sima Hui » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:06 pm

The Lu Bu ambush incident definitely tops it. But I'm always amazed by the fact that when Cao Cao is fleeing the capital after trying to assassinate Dong Zhuo, he falls into the hands of the only magistrate who would release and join him, Chen Gong.

Not to mention that Chen also decides not to stab him in his sleep, against his better judgement. :wink:
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Phuc » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:00 am

Sima Hui wrote:The Lu Bu ambush incident definitely tops it. But I'm always amazed by the fact that when Cao Cao is fleeing the capital after trying to assassinate Dong Zhuo, he falls into the hands of the only magistrate who would release and join him, Chen Gong.

Not to mention that Chen also decides not to stab him in his sleep, against his better judgement. :wink:

Those reasons, and he escaped Chi Bi in one piece. despite all the ambushes.
My English isn't very good, so forgive me if there are any grammar/spelling mistakes in my posts.
Phuc
Student

Unread postby Shi Tong » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Yes, the escape from Chi Bi, especially novel wise was pretty spectacular. I loved the bit where Guan Yu captures him then lets him go.

Historically this didn't happen at all, but it sure adds tension to the narrative!!

On a completely flip side of this lucky break thing (meaning that he just got away with his hair intact), what do you think Cao Cao's luckiest/ most amazing move was?

Was it when he met up with Xun Yu and Xun You and managed to get persuaded to take the emperor to Xu Chang or what? :D
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Long » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:59 pm

Having Xu Chu by his side at Tong Pass where he not only fended off a rain of arrows, but also cut the limbs off of the troops who were panicking in the water trying to get into the boat and possibly capsizing it. Xu Chu saved him from two separate deaths.
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"Censorship is a tool for the closed-minded and insecure."
Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:13 pm

I would say that it was when Dong Zhuo decided to go west, because that allowed him to jump headfirst into the major power-vaccum and gain the most economically, manpowery, strategical..ly region in China while only having to contend with Yuan Shu and Liu Bei (later Lu Bu).
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium