Most Hated Person

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Most Hated Person

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:24 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Being a young emperor can be a problem yes however Liu Shan and Zhuge Liang had been running the country for a year now, I don't think age was really a problem with Shan, more his personality. In the novel, he is a gullible idiot, historically he was kind but very lazy, fond of touring places of interest and beautiful things, far too lenient and didn't take control of things when needed. His hands off style worked for 30 years but when Chen Zhi and Jiang Wei needed restraining and/or sacking, Liu Shan let them have free reign.

oh...such a bad emperor..i think Liu Bei better imitating Cao Cao in educated his son.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:40 pm

I said this before, can't believe what good taste I had then :lol:, Sun Quan. He lived of his brother's hard work and then let his suborinites do everything, even then alienating his best officers. Now I know thats not true but its for some reason how I view him. I think I'd enjoy the Chinese Oprea story line.......
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:10 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:
oh...such a bad emperor..i think Liu Bei better imitating Cao Cao in educated his son.

Cao Cao had ages and the cream of the empire to use as tutors, Liu Bei didn't conquer Yi till Liu Shan was in his teens. Bit difficult, besides you can't make a great ruler just be educating that person, there has to be both drive and ability, Shan lacked drive and, to a degree, ability.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:48 am

Liu Shan should be whipped for his lack of drive as you said Dong. I think he should be sent to Sima Hui to study so perhaps inherits a little ability like Zhuge Liang, Pang Tong, and Xu shu. If he doesn't want to study... well the river Han is wide and deep so let's send him into some swimming tour. :lol:
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:51 am

Lonely_dragon wrote:Liu Shan should be whipped for his lack of drive as you said Dong. I think he should be sent to Sima Hui to study so perhaps inherits a little ability like Zhuge Liang, Pang Tong, and Xu shu. If he doesn't want to study... well the river Han is wide and deep so let's send him into some swimming tour. :lol:

what a good idea :D.....Sima Hui will be a good teacher, instead Yin Mo
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:15 am

What's wrong with Yin Mo? He was a) in Yi, b) served Shu not Wei and c) was alive. Three vital differences to Sima Hui and by Shan's own admittance, his education was good.

Liu Shan was a kind man and did oversee 30 years of prosperity, there were far worse rulers out there. I don't think he should have been whipped
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:07 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Liu Shan was a kind man and did oversee 30 years of prosperity, there were far worse rulers out there. I don't think he should have been whipped

30 years of prosperity because his ministers doing. He spent much time with cuncombines, and he is a drunkyard.

about Yin Mo there is no guarantee that his student will be a successful man, Sima Hui does (Sima Hui's students are ZL, Pang Tong, Xu Shu). but your are right about the place, Sima Hui's hut located in wei teritory.
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:13 am

That was Liu Shan's style though, he let the ministers get in with the job though he did handle stuff well enough early on, how many rulers mucked up their officers efforts and destroyed a kingdom? This didn't work so well when Chen Zhi and Jiang Wei were in charge, then he needed to get to grips and punish them.

Sima Hui took service in Wei but died quickly after. Sima Hui did have some successful students, so did Qiao Zhou, not all of them are successful however. It takes ability from the students, not just the good education they received to become a success, Yin Mo just had Shan and didn't have hundreds of students to teach. Yin Mo was a student of Sima Hui's and wildly regarded as a scholar in his chosen subjects, he made a good choice as a teacher.

That and Sima Hui died in 208, Shan might have got a little creeped out by a zombie teacher :wink:
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Sima Hui took service in Wei but died quickly after. Sima Hui did have some successful students, so did Qiao Zhou, not all of them are successful however. It takes ability from the students, not just the good education they received to become a success, Yin Mo just had Shan and didn't have hundreds of students to teach. Yin Mo was a student of Sima Hui's and wildly regarded as a scholar in his chosen subjects, he made a good choice as a teacher.

:shock: really? i didn't know Yin Mo was his student :P

Dong Zhou wrote:That and Sima Hui died in 208, Shan might have got a little creeped out by a zombie teacher :wink:

Waaakkk he died in 208? :P sorry didn't know that because in ROTK games he's live quiet long enough (maybe immortal,he5)
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 am

Dong Zhou wrote:That and Sima Hui died in 208, Shan might have got a little creeped out by a zombie teacher :wink:

I see I didn't know that... It's just Liu Shan didn't want to study that he delegates most of his duties to his minister. He should be more responsible... or perhaps we should throw him for the Song mountain. I just hope Zhao Yun didn't find out or my neck will be on the line...

Other than Liu Shan my most hated person will be Sun Quan because of his attack on Jing that results in the lost of Jing and the death of Guan Yu. :rangry:
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium