Zhuge Liang and Cao Cao?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What if Zhuge Liang had not joined Liu Bei, but instead Cao Cao?

All China would have benefited tremendously!
21%
All China would have benefited somewhat.
No votes
Pretty decent, but after boths death, things would have played out similar.
24%
They would not have worked together well.
27%
They were to different, no good would have come of this!
24%
Something else... (explain in thread!)
3%

Total votes : 33

Zhuge Liang and Cao Cao?

Unread postby Cao Shang » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:27 pm

What if Zhuge Liang had not joined Liu Bei, but instead Cao Cao?

Let's assume there was no possibly incident where familiy members of Zhuge were harmed by Cao Cao!

If they would have worked together well, I am certain Cao Cao had united all China and
it would have benefited tremendously from it.

But what is your opinion?
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby huaxiong » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:00 pm

I know your question is a "what if" but tbh after reading the novel, I just can't picture that ever happening. It's better to wonder what if Pang Tong joined Cao Cao. After all, besided Zhuge Liang, Cao Cao was the only person who saw through Pang Tong's ugliness and knew he was a brilliant strategist.
huaxiong
Changshi

Location: In a pile of s***, and I ain't got the shoes for it

Unread postby xiaoxiannu » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:02 pm

I think the two can't work well together, as well as Cao Cao and Sima Yi. Cao Cao didn't want someone who is smarter than he played a important role such as Yang Xiu. Sima Yi didn't come up to the surface when Cao Cao still alive. Cao Cao more like a person like Xun Yu, Guo Jia, Xun You, Cheng Yu who is always work behind the desk to help him, not going to lead an army by himself. Anyways there is not mention that Cao Cao is intended to have ZGL on his side. Maybe a better question is if Xu Shu willing to work seriously under Cao Cao and give him his talent 100% instead of sleeping at Cao Cao army. :P
Another follower of Sleeping Dragon
xiaoxiannu
Langzhong

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:45 am

Cao Cao killed Yang Xiu not because he was smarter than Cao Cao, but because he wasn't very smart, and angered Cao Cao. Yang Xiu was so caught up in proving how smart he was, he didn't think twice about the consequences of his actions.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Shang » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:09 am

I think if Zhuge Liang wished so, it would have been possible, he was outstanding enough to work with Cao Cao and not get killed.

But I too am not very sure that it could have happened easily...

For Pang Tong, most don't like him much and don't regard him as a brilliant strategist at all, it seems.
He made some plans, then got killed by a strew arrow. :wink:

Xu Shu, I believe liked the way things played out very much, else he would have done something different.
Nothing wrong in that though.
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby Paler than Moon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:31 am

Wow I can't imagine Zhuge Liang joining up Cao Wei, it's very wickedseeing that even without Zhuge, Wei was a pretty great and stabilized country better than the other 2. If Zhuge was with Cao Cao, surely most of Wei's attacks on Shu & Wu would resulted in capturing more and more city. Shu would have less brilliant strategeist than Wei, and seeing that Sima Yi is there (also the others smart people Cao Cao already have), no one would stand a chance against Wei...

But then again, I'm not sure everything would stay that cool after Cao Cao and Zhuge died...
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
your fragrance deafens.
Paler than Moon
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:06 pm

Novel wise, Zhuge Liang would see the land conquered as he is absolutely brilliant. Historically, be no real change as Cao Cao already had superior talents in Wei and doubt Zhuge Liang could do the Gupo Jia role of twisting Cao Cao around his finger
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby NOD » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:06 pm

historically, nothing cao cao had all the talent in the world, liu bei would still attack chendu it was obviously his goal in the first place. later for shu it would have just fallen earlier to jiang wan i think?? or fei yi both capable. zhuge in wei would be nothing more than a civil administrator probley a small one seeing as wei had an over abundance of them
FOR KANE!!!
NOD
Assistant

Unread postby Elitemsh » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:25 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Historically, be no real change as Cao Cao already had superior talents in Wei and doubt Zhuge Liang could do the Gupo Jia role of twisting Cao Cao around his finger

Agree that not much would have changed historically. However were there really many superior talents in Wei than Kongming? I do not believe this is true. The historical Zhuge Liang was brilliant politically and a rare talent indeed? Didn't Sima Yi acknowledge this when he observed Zhuge's encampments or was this just in the novel? I know that Zhuge was overrated in the novel but still to say that there were many more superior talents in Wei is kinda harsh.
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby NOD » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:41 pm

in terms of military stratigest yes wei was harshly better, but il give him the political part he was a very capable individual but wei already at the time had capable political men so he would be needed. plus i dont think cao cao ever even heard of kongming untill word spread he joined liu bei
FOR KANE!!!
NOD
Assistant

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium