Pang Tong, genius of the time, or just overrated a lot?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Pang Tong, genius of the time, or just overrated a lot?

Genius!
29%
Pretty decent.
23%
Medicore...
6%
Overrated a lot!
13%
Not sure, he died to soon.
29%

Total votes : 31

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:48 am

You know the 215 invasion, Lu Su panicked and it was Lu Meng who took the cities? Lu Su wasn't much in terms of military but he was a political great.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby the glorious sun jian » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:10 am

Dong Zhou wrote:You know the 215 invasion, Lu Su panicked and it was Lu Meng who took the cities? Lu Su wasn't much in terms of military but he was a political great.

Yah I know what happened I was just pointing that he led something and I think he was calmer than Pang Tong whos plan will bring downfall to his lord army
لا اله الا الله محمد عبده ورسوله
the glorious sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Long » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:43 pm

Yuan Yun wrote:
Long wrote:Pang tong was a brilliant strategist, who I rate higher than Zhuge Liang in that regard, his death was a frek incident to say the least, and he could have changed the face of the three kingdoms had he survived.

But there are several men who could have done that as well..

Interesting, but why exactly do you rate him as a brilliant strategist?

Historically, his three strategies for taking Shu which he presented to Liu Bei were all excellent plans, with detail and angles covered that a lot of other strategists of the time would have lacked. Pang Tong was one of the greatest military campaign planners of the era.

I can't find it, but Dong and I examined his plans more thoroughly in another thread somewhere.

Edit: You can see a detailed discussion of Pang Tong and his strategies, courtesy of Dong Zhou and I here
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"Censorship is a tool for the closed-minded and insecure."
Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:07 pm

the glorious sun jian wrote:
Yah I know what happened I was just pointing that he led something and I think he was calmer than Pang Tong whos plan will bring downfall to his lord army

I don't think panicking is a sign of calmness or that helpful. Yes I also find some of Pang Tong's plans to be... overly aggressive but he did offer good plans as well
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby xiaoxiannu » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:06 am

the glorious sun jian wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:You know the 215 invasion, Lu Su panicked and it was Lu Meng who took the cities? Lu Su wasn't much in terms of military but he was a political great.

I agreed with Dongy, Lu Su maybe calmer than Pang Tong, but he is not more best than Pang Tong in military matters. I prefer says Lu Su is good at second person in charge ( I mean assistant than a commander ). It is proved when he is participate in Chi Bi as Zhou Yu's sub-command.
Another follower of Sleeping Dragon
xiaoxiannu
Langzhong

Re: Pang Tong, genius of the time, or just overrated a lot?

Unread postby Bai Mei » Thu May 20, 2010 4:50 am

Pang Tong is a genius. If he wasn't, Zhuge Liang wouldn't have ever considered the man his equal. Maybe he did overate people like Ma Su and Li Yan, but those were pretty much his only oversights. And although it's true Pang Tong had a penchant for coming up with risky strategies, so did many other very successful strategists like Zhou Yu. That's less a matter of genius, and more a matter of personality and temperament, and besides, even the cautious Zhuge Liang admitted there was a time where risky strategies were the best, maybe even the only, ones. He was instrumental in obtaining Yiazhou for Liu Bei, which was pretty much the most significant territory they ever gained. So even if he isn't the equal of the Sleeping Dragon, he's still the Fledgling Phoenix and he has the title for a reason: because he was considered worthy of it. So regardless of whether or not he's Zhuge Liang's equal, he'd still be an incredible asset for Shu to have had during, say, Guan Yu's defense of Jingzhou or the Battle of Yiling, where his risky strategies could have turned the tide, much like what you could say about Guo Jia or Fa Zheng.
Bai Mei
Tyro

Re: Pang Tong, genius of the time, or just overrated a lot?

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 am

I think we were talking historically. And historically was there a fledgling phoenix at all? I don't recall so. There was only Zhuge Liang as the sleeping dragon.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium