Pang Tong, genius of the time, or just overrated a lot?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Genius!
29%
Pretty decent.
23%
Medicore...
6%
Overrated a lot!
13%
Not sure, he died to soon.
29%

Total votes : 31

Unread postby Cao Shang » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:30 am

I wonder what people think about Pang Tong and why! He died pretty young for sure...

Would Shu have been in trouble without him or maybe even be better off and would it have been a big difference for Shu if he had lived longer?
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby Ma_Lin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:16 am

I think he died really young, and so it's hard to say. I think he almost certainly would have been an asset to Shu. Whether he would have been one of Shu's greatest is a question that is really impossible to answer. I also think that people who don't like the way ZGL handled things militarily will sometimes hype him up a lot to provide an alternative.
"You generals all and champions bold, stand true as well as I;
Stand to your men, take them on board and fight with courage bold.
I've led my men through smoke and fire but now to death must yield."

-The Duke Of Marlborough (an English Folk Song)
Ma_Lin
Assistant

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:30 am

If we're speaking historically here, I feel he is largely overrated. Never did much of anything in any regard, and was a failure at domestics. I find his battle strategies to be a tad bit too risky and short sighted as well. His most famous event, the chaining of the ships at Red Cliffs, is fictional. He never pretended to defect to Cao Cao or come up with the idea to burn Cao Cao's fleet.
Last edited by ZhouTai50 on Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZhouTai50
Sage

Unread postby xiaoxiannu » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:38 am

I put on last...Not sure he is died too young. :D
Imagine if he still survive after Liu Bei is taking Yi. This must be balance power between Jing and Yi, ZGL put in Jing and Pang Tong in Yi.
Maybe Pang Tong has a bit too risky strategy and short sighted as ZhouTai50 says, but he is still a brilliant strategist at that time. :D
Another follower of Sleeping Dragon
xiaoxiannu
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Shang » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:23 am

ZhouTai50 wrote:If we're speaking historically here, I feel he is largely overrated. Never did much of anything in any regard, and was a failure at domestics. I find his battle strategies to be a tad bit too risky and short sighted as well. His most famous event, the chaining of the ships at Red Cliffs, is fictional. He never pretended to defect to Cao Cao or come up with the idea to burn Cao Cao's fleet.

That is quite right. ;)
The chaining may seem like is his best "idea", even though if it really had happened...
I find it very risky and dangerous to attempt considering the situation.
He is just to risky in what he does, even fictional! ;)

I am sure that Cao Cao would have been very suspicious and the whole Fire Attack could have failed very easily.

I don't really know though why Cao Cao didn't reacted accordingly when it was noticed that the wind was blowing from the so dangerous direction...

The chaining wasn't a bad idea in itself, if Cao Cao had attacked with the wind in his favor, victory would have been his for sure.
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby Matteo Ricci » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:31 pm

There used to be an academic paper published in Hong Kong probably in the 1980s, which supposedly stated that the death of Pang Tong was actually not unwelcomed by Zhuge Liang. Probably because both of them were competing for the position of the advisor in Shu? I have not read the paper yet, so I am not sure how accurate it is. Still, has anybody heard that thesis before?
Matteo Ricci
Apprentice

Unread postby Skir » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:40 pm

his advice to Xu Shu is pretty solid...
Skir
Tyro

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:49 am

I like Pang Tong. As far as I'm concerned, he was quite like the Guo Jia of Shu, in that he died before he could show his full potential, and though we cant tell what he could or would have done, I assume that he would have been pretty useful!
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:54 am

Yeah i agree with Shi Tong about he could of been a genius afterall there has to be something there for a reputation to grow.... But we'll never know how capable he is because he did die to early. as for ZL welcoming his death its not very like ROTK Zl but might be his real safe unless he considered him unskilled and thought it would be better for Shu if he was killed.........
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hannibal ad portas » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:26 am

I have voted for he died to soon. We really didn't witness his true potential, maybe he was a genius maybe he wasn't we will never know. But i also agree that he is kinda overrated, just like Guo Jia!
*If three people say you are an ass, put on a bridle.

*Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day.

*Cuando amor no es locura, no es amor.
Hannibal ad portas
Master

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium