Unique Bios from Rafe's Tome of Kickass.

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Unique Bios from Rafe's Tome of Kickass.

Unread postby Tarrot » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:55 am

The Guan Yu bio is the same as the SGZ bios on the site, no new information added. You might get more from the site SGZ bios.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:28 am

ohh ok. :)
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby talon1579 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:16 pm

James wrote:Edit: No, there is no Sima Yi SGZ biography.

Hold on a sec. Did Sima Yi exist, then?
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby James » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:33 pm

talon1579 wrote:Hold on a sec. Did Sima Yi exist, then?

Yes. But his biography was considered to be under the purview of the Jin dynasty, as such he was not included in the Three Kingdoms history (which was commissioned by the Jin dynasty).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:19 pm

If anyone could get Rui Zhi, Quan Rou (I forget if someone already did), Zhou Jun, and Cao Tai, I'd be very happy indeed!
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:26 pm

Rui Zhi [Xuansi]; Danyang.

An early and successful follower of Sun Jian, Rui Zhi was recommended as Administrator of Jiujiang, and presumably held that office under the auspices of Yuan Shu. He was later transferred to Wu, and was well regarded for his administration in both commanderies. It appears that he died in the early 190s leaving two sons, Liang and Xuan. -SGZ Wu 16:1398.

Quan Rou; Wu.

A man of local family, during the 180s Quan Rou was recommended Filial and Incorrupt and held a junior post in the Imperial Secretariat. As Dong Zhuo took power Quan Rou returned home, where he held appointment at provincial headquarters and was then Commandant of the east of Kuaiji. During a time of famine he did some trading in grain.

When Sun Ce arrived in 197, Quan Rou joined him and was made Commandant of Danyang. He was later Chief Clerk to Sun Quan and then Administrator of Guiyang. -SGZ Wu 15:1381.

Zhou Jun
No listing. Is another name possible?

Cao Tai; Pei.

Eldest son of Cao Ren, he succeeded to his fief and was later general of Wei. -SGZ 9:276.

Rafe’s Tome of Kickass
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:19 pm

Zhou Jun might've been past the cutline. He was a nephew of Zhou Yu and subordinate of Lu Xun, but he was primarily active after the fall of the Han.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:31 pm

Sun Gongli wrote:Zhou Jun might've been past the cutline. He was a nephew of Zhou Yu and subordinate of Lu Xun, but he was primarily active after the fall of the Han.

Ah, I guess I was used to you looking for information on many earlier officers. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:59 am

I asked much earlier on in this thread if there was a bio for Sun Gao, however I never got a response..... If it helps he was the oldest son of Sun Jing but I don't know much of his life before the death of Sun Ce. So I'd really apricaite if someon could come up with something.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:18 am

Sun Fin wrote:I asked much earlier on in this thread if there was a bio for Sun Gao, however I never got a response..... If it helps he was the oldest son of Sun Jing but I don't know much of his life before the death of Sun Ce. So I'd really apricaite if someon could come up with something.

Here you go. :)

Sun Gao 孫暠; Wu. [aka. Sun Hao]

Sun Gao was the eldest son of Sun Jing, who was a younger brother of Sun Jian and uncle to Sun Ce. When Sun Ce died in 2000, Sun Gao was stationed in Kuaiji with rank as a General of the Household. Though he came of a junior lineage, Sun Gao was older than Sun Ce and his brother Sun Quan. There was suspicion he might take over the commandery and claim leadership of the warlord enterprise, but Yu Fan, an older supported of Sun Ce and at that time a magistrate in Kuaiji, warned him that none of the local officials would support him against Sun Quan. Sun Gao gave up his ambitions.

Though his four brothers held office under Sun Quan, and his sons played a role in the later history of Wu, Sun Gao does not appear to have held andy senior position thereafter, he was probably kept at the family home. He has no individual biography in SGZ. -SGZ Wu 12:1319, 19:1444; deC 90:215-216 [as Sun Song].

Rafe’s Tome of Kickass

Sun Gao 孫高.

In 204 the Administrator of Danyang, Sun Yi, was murdered by Gui Lan and Dai Yuan, but sun Yi’s widow the Lady Xu IV had Sun Gao and other loyal officers kill the two mutineers. Sun Quan rewarded Sun Gao with appointment to his own headquarters staff. -SGZ Wu 6:1214–15; deC 90:232–234.

Rafe’s Tome of Kickass
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium