Unique Bios from Rafe's Tome of Kickass.

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Unique Bios from Rafe's Tome of Kickass.

Unread postby Sang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:It doesn't include everything and I think that was false.

I'm not saying it should include everything. But staging a coup should be included, things like "In 196, Chen Gong went out to eat with his family", things like that shouldn't be included and I don't need to know about it too. I'm not a fan of Chen Gong, I was just wondering about that rumour of him, that is all. There aren't that many who are loyal to Lü Bu, so I just want to know who are his loyalist are, but anyway, thanks. :D

@ Lady Wu,

Thanks for the passage. I'll find someone to translate it for me.
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby Sang » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:19 am

Sorry for duoble-posting. I'd like to request for Yuan Shao's advisor Shen Pei.

Thanks.
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby Tarrot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:26 am

Code: Select all
Shen Pei [Zhengnan] (d.204); Wei. Member of a powerful clan, Shen Pei became
Headquarters Officer to Yuan Shao when he took Ji province from Han Fu in 191.
In 199 Shen Pei encouraged the plan to attack Cao Cao, and as Yuan Shao moved south
he was lefl in charge at Ye city. When he arrested a kinsman of Xu You, however, Xu
You became angry and went over to Cao Cao at a critical stage of the Guandu campaign
in 200. As Yuan Shao's army fled, two of Shen Pei's sons were taken by Cao Cao: Shen
Pei's loyalty was questioned but he was defended by his former enemy Pang Ji.
Shen Pei and Pang Ji supported the succession of Yuan Shao's youngest son Shang, as
opposed to Shang's elder brother Yuan Tan and his allies Xin Ping and Guo Tu. When
Yuan Shao died in 202 they forged a will in favour of Shang and so procured his
inheritance.
Shen Pei remained at Ye when Yuan Shang went to aid Yuan Tan in 202, and again as he
attacked Yuan Tan in 203. When Cao Cao attacked in 204 he urged Yuan Tan to join
against the common enemy, but Yuan Tan refused.
Shen Pei then defended Ye city against Cao Cao for three months. As the city was starved
and then stormed Shen Pei was taken alive, but he maintained his loyalty to the Yuan and
was executed. -SGZ 6:195-206.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LuXunMaster102 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 am

Glad to see you are still around, Tarrot! :D

I would like to request Xu You's biography and Tian Feng's biography.
It is in times of chaos when heroes are made. -LuXunMaster102

Yuan Dynasty:

Ruler - Yuan Shao
Prime Minister - Guo Jia
Grand Commander - Zhou Yu
Alternate - Sun Jian
Viceroy - Lu Su
LuXunMaster102
Scholar

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:04 am

Xu You [Ziyuan]. Nanyang. In 188, Xu You approved of Wang Fen's plot to kidnap and depose Emperor Ling, but he wisely avoided any direct involvement.

Xu You was a friend of both Cao Cao and Yuan Shao, but as civil war began in 190 he became an adviser to Yuan Shao. When Yuan Shao moved against Cao Cao in 199, Xu You recommended that he should attack Xu city rather than face Cao Cao at Guandu. His advice was rejected.

During the campaign, a member of Xu You's family was arrested by Yuan Shao's officer Shen Pei in Ye city. Angry and resentful, Xu You went over to Cao Cao and told him of the approach of a major supply train. Cao Cao's attack upon the convoy destroyed Yuan Shao's army.

Later, however, Xu You addressed Cao Cao in public by his childhood name. Cao Cao smiled, but soon afterwards had him executed.

===============================

Tian Feng (d. 200) [Yuanhao]; Julu or Beihai. A man of local reputation, Tian Feng joined the offices of the Excellencies, was recommended as Abundant Talent, and became a member of the Imperial Censorate. Concerned at the eunuch influence in government, however, he resigned and returned home.

As Yuan Shao raised rebellion against Dong Zhuo in 190, he invited Tian Feng to join him, and when he took over Ji province from Han Fu in 191 he appointed him as Attendant Officer. Tian Feng killed the loyalist {to Han Fu} officers Geng Wu and Min Chun, became a valued adviser, and he sheltered Yuan Shao when their camp was attacked by troops of Gongsun Zan in 192.

In 198, Tian Feng urged Yuan Shao to attack Cao Cao's base city of Xu on a claim to rescue the Emperor, but his pre-emptive strategy was not followed. As Yuan Shao prepared his offensive in 200, Tian Feng stressed the need to move quickly while Cao Cao was engaged against Liu Bei, but after Cao Cao returned he warned against a direct attack and urged a policy of delay and attrition. Yuan Shao disagreed and, as Tian Feng persisted, he imprisoned him.

Following the defeat at Guandu, Yuan Shao's officers regretted Tian Feng's advice had not been taken, but his rival Pang Ji claimed Tian Feng was glad to see had had been proven correct. So Yuan Shao killed Tian Feng.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:20 am

I thought that Xu You had insulted Yuan Shao, when Cao Cao was paying his respects at his grave. Cao Cao then executed him out of anger. Maybe that was a folktale.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mendedties » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:10 am

Somehow my tiny local hole-in-the-wall library was able to get it's hands on a copy of this thing for me, and I'm super excited about it. I did not at all expect success (neither did they), but it's in my hands for the next three weeks and they are absolutely getting a donation.

If anyone's looking for any bios (this thread is old but needs resurrection), I'd be happy to contribute while I've got a hold of it.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby mendedties » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Here's one:

Du Xi 杜襲 [ Zixu 子緒 ]; Yingchuan. A grandson of Du Gen, during the 190s Du Xi went south to take refuge with Liu Biao in Nanyang. His friend Po Qin was received with favour, but Du Xi warned him against accepting such a provincial master, and he himself left Liu Biao and went south to Changsha.

After Cao Cao took Emperor Xian into his control and established the imperial capital at Xu city in 196, Du Xi returned north and was appointed magistrate of Xi’e in Nanyang, immediately north of the capital Wan on Cao Cao’s frontier with Liu Biao. Because of the uncertainty of the time and the region, the local officials kept the people inside fortified towns and villages, so no-one could work the fields and there was shortage of food. Du Xi ordered that the able-bodied men should be kept under arms in the defences, but that the old and the weak should go out to farm.

Du Xi’s rule was well supported by the people, but in 201 Liu Biao’s troops attacked in overwhelming force, and though he and his men fought with great courage, the invaders captured the city. Du Xi barely escaped, but he rallied the people outside and brought them back to a new defensive position on the Mo Slope.

Du Xi was then recommended by the Director of Retainers Zhong Yao, and became a Consultant and military adviser. Recommended again by Xun Yu, he was taken onto Cao Cao’s personal staff. In 213 Du Gong [I’m assuming this is a typo and intended to be Du Xi] was one of the petitioners who urged Cao Cao to take title as Duke of Wei, and he became a Palace Attendant in the new state. He was later Chief Clerk to Cao Cao as Imperial Chancellor.

In 215 Du Xi accompanied the campaign against Zhang Lu in Hanzhong, and when Cao Cao returned to the east Du Xi was named Commandant of Attendant Cavalry and left to supervise the military administration of the newly-occupied region. He persuaded some eighty thousand people to leave the frontier and colonise the depopulated areas about Luoyang and Ye city in central China.

After Xiahou Yuan was defeated and killed by Liu Bei in the battle at Dingjun Mountain in 219, the Wei forces were leaderless and confused. Du Xi and Zhang He took command and restored order, but even Cao Cao could not regain the lost territory. He abandoned Hanzhong and appointed Du Xi Area Commander for the region about Chang’an. When Cao Cao planned to attack the renegade commander Xu You, Du Xi defied his anger and persuaded him to treat Xu You generously and gain his surrender.

As Cao Pi took the imperial title in 220, Du Xi was enfeoffed. He was put in charge of military supplies and later joined the Secretariat. During the reign of Cao Rui he was adviser to Cao Zhen and then to Sima Yi in the war against Zhuge Liang in the west. He was raised in fief, but became ill and returned to the capital as a Palace Counsellor. He died about 232 and was posthumously named Minister Steward. –SGZ 23:664-67.

Interesting that Rafe lends him equal credit with Zhang He in containing the Hanzhong catastrophe. Or perhaps the good Doctor was being generous with the spotlight, it being the man's own bio after all.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:37 pm

mendedties wrote:Interesting that Rafe lends him equal credit with Zhang He in containing the Hanzhong catastrophe. Or perhaps the good Doctor was being generous with the spotlight, it being the man's own bio after all.

Du Xi's SGZ has a line talking about how Du Xi, Guo Huai and Zhang He regrouped after Xiahou Yuan died, it was felt that that Zhang He should take command so the soldiers could rally, and All Three Armies were Calmed etc. I imagine that Zhang He was ultimately in command as he was the one given the Jie staff, but it takes more than one person to contain a catastrophe like that, so you could certainly say that Zhang He couldn't have done it without him (or Guo Huai).
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium