Was Ma chao a good general for shu

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Was ma chao a good general for shu

yes
58%
no
42%

Total votes : 38

Was Ma chao a good general for shu

Unread postby white_tiger_55 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:27 pm

I cant stand to see ma chao as a tiger general if he didnt do anything good for shu so tell me what did he did :?: pleas
i am the one who they talk about
i am the one who they fear
i am the one who they need to see me for help
i am the one who wants me in there army
i am your enemys darkes nightmare
and you are?
white_tiger_55
Assistant

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:02 am

I hate to break it up to you but... In Shu Ma Chao contributions were not much... he did participates in some campaigns and manage to gain victory... Other than that I can't seem to find noted services...

Why he is made a tiger general then? I think it is due to his fame and ability... He nearly captured Cao Cao... and the famous battle at Tong gate... He did good at Shu but did better when he leads the Xi Liang forces against Cao Cao... He also helped conquering Cheng Du so I think that's why he was made a tiger general...

So I had to say No he did not do any good for Shu!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Nope I was joking.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to say that Shu's northern defense lies on his shoulder against the Qiang tribe... and he did gain victory for Shu... so yes he is worthy as one of the tiger general....
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Shang » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:19 am

I guess Ma Chao was also a bit lucky... who else would have been suited to become a Tiger General?
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby Little_Phoenix » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 am

Yuan Yun wrote:I guess Ma Chao was also a bit lucky... who else would have been suited to become a Tiger General?

Wei Yan quiet suited enough.

Lonely_dragon wrote:I have to say that Shu's northern defense lies on his shoulder against the Qiang tribe... and he did gain victory for Shu... so yes he is worthy as one of the tiger general....

compare to Wei Yan, he's done nothing...just guard the pass. Victory? nope...he just doing joint attack with Zhang Fei....not his own skill. Ma Chao almost done nothing. he's not worthed become one of tiger general
Little_Phoenix
Changshi

Unread postby xiaoxiannu » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:30 am

Well...Wei Yan is surely one of famous general back then that is sure has a big contribution to Shu. But he seems like made a fatal error some times and his reputation is not good as Ma Chao. So I think five tiger general that Liu Bei made for raised their prestige through the land, which is a weak categories for wei yan.
For contribution to Shu wei yan is more good than Ma Chao, still Ma Chao achieved that rank because of his fame. :D
Another follower of Sleeping Dragon
xiaoxiannu
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:12 pm

I sid yes because he did have a mighty reputation and he did keep the Qiang (sorry for spelling) away on name alone saving many lives. also he did all that was ever asked of him by Shu. as for Wei Yan i know that Zhuge Liang in the book makes a comment about putting him to death the moment he comes to serve Liu Bei. I don't know if it happened in real life but if the main adviser was against him what chance did he have of being a tiger general? and as was said earlier no else deserved to be a tiger general.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ricky » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:22 pm

I'm pretty sure he was given this rank because of his reputation he had in the north. Other than that, his contribution to Shu is very little.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:49 pm

i know that Zhuge Liang in the book makes a comment about putting him to death the moment he comes to serve Liu Bei. I don't know if it happened in real life

for the record, no, Zhuge Liang never advised that
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Little_Phoenix » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:43 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
i know that Zhuge Liang in the book makes a comment about putting him to death the moment he comes to serve Liu Bei. I don't know if it happened in real life

for the record, no, Zhuge Liang never advised that

i think it is Wei Yan?...in novel, when Wei Yan want to serve Liu Bei after he killed his own master (Han Xuan)...Zhuge Liang give him sentence to death because of Wei Yan ingratitude's manner
Little_Phoenix
Changshi

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:40 pm

He said in real life he didn't know, I was just informing him. I know it happens in the novel but I did phrase that very badly, I apologise
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium