Overrated & Underrated

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Overrated & Underrated

Unread postby Yuan Sho » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:22 am

From the start of the Yellow Turban Rebellion to the end of the Three Kingdoms, we have read about men and some women who have been either viewed as Underrated characters (Underrrated: Meaning not appreciated enough for their efforts) or Overrated characters (Overrated: Meaning well praised or always praised for their success).

From Zhang Jue (That Rebel against the Hans) to Dong Zhuo (The Tyrant pig of the Han), we have read about each amazing character and watched them grow into either heroes who are well talked about, people who can speak well and easily talk others to joining their side, or just people who could have been more had their talents been reconginzed earlier.

Anyway, for this post, why not share (All of the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" readers) with others who you see as the most overrated & underrated person or people of the Three Kingdoms Era.

For me, I'm gonna have to pick Cao Cao & Sun Ce as the overrated people on here since so many people love to chat about them and their success so much. As for the other two who, I believe, is underrated, they are Pang Tong for his short lived work and Fa Zheng helped Liu Bei out during his campaign for Cheng Du.

Overrated: Cao Cao & Sun Ce
Underrated: Pang Tong & Fa Zheng.

Anyway, I hope you all will be willing to share if no one else has a topic like this.
"I would rather betray the world than let the world betray me." Cao Cao, ruler of Wei Kingdom.
Yuan Sho
Initiate

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:50 am

Overrated :
Sima Yi
Sun Quan "You purple bearded rat, Green eyed boy... Don't you know who I am? I am lord of Hanshou Guan Yu..." :shock: :shock:

Underrated :
Huang Zhong
Hao Zhao

That's for now... will ad more later on... :)
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Overrated & Underrated

Unread postby Foif » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:40 am

Yuan Sho wrote:
Overrated: Cao Cao & Sun Ce
Underrated: Pang Tong & Fa Zheng.

Anyway, I hope you all will be willing to share if no one else has a topic like this.

Eh..

Cao Cao, i believe deserved what he got. He was intelligent, devious, and a great general, and he managed turn the Han into Wei, without actually turning it into Wei.
Smart man.

And Sun Ce, i think was underrated. He was, as many said, a magnificent general, probably one of the best of the time, if not the best.

And for Pang Tong, i think, in fact he was overrated. Especially in the novel where they talk about his political ability, whereas he had none.

Mine would be:

Overrated: Zhuge Liang [Novelwise] & Guan Yu.

Underrated: Liu Chan, and i guess ill say Zhang Fei.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:22 pm

I agree with Fiof about Sun ce being under rated and i don't think Cao Cao is overrated either.

I think that Guo Jia is under rated as is Gongsun Zan ( know many people disagree with me about this)

I think over rated is Lu Bu (he was good but not as good as his made out to be) and I agree with Lonely about Sun Quan being over rated to as he never really expanded and never seemed to look at the fact of if they allyed with Shu to beat Wei they'd get land rather then being obsesed with Jing.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby JamesD » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:44 am

Underreated
Sun Ce
Zhang Fe

Overrated
Zhuge Liang
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby xiaoxiannu » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Underrated : Zhuge Liang and Guan Yu, many people like to judge them a bit to low.
Overrated : Zhou Tai and Deng Ai, too overrated. :roll:
Another follower of Sleeping Dragon
xiaoxiannu
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:08 pm

xiaoxiannu wrote:Underrated : Zhuge Liang and Guan Yu, many people like to judge them a bit to low. :roll:

Good point about these two being under rated because although there obviously not as good as there made out to be in ROTK that doesn't mean there not great people like many people seem to think.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ricky » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:24 am

Overrated - Jiang Wei, Zhao Yun, Guan Yu, Ma Chao, Zhuge Liang, Huang Zhong.

Underrated - He Qi, Cao Zhang, Zhu Ling, Cao Chun, Zhou Tai, Dian Wei, Yan Xing.

It's very pretty clear why these are my choices. And I'm very sure about this.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Shang » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:40 am

Overrated: Sun Ce and Sun Quan, Wei Yan and Liu Shan!

Underrated: Zhao Yun, Zhuge Liang, Cao Zhang, Zhang Jiao(Jue)

and a lot more in both categories.
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby xiaoxiannu » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:07 am

Yuan Yun wrote:Overrated: Sun Ce and Sun Quan, Wei Yan and Liu Shan!

What ? Liu Shan is overrated ? How horrible if people like Liu Shan is overrated general. He is enough too bad in novel, does he must worst than that ? :wink:
Another follower of Sleeping Dragon
xiaoxiannu
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium