Dong Zhou's response
Whoooo long response.
1. I'm not saying it was easy but his invasion of Yan province was an epic fail despite having so much going for him. The fact that Cao Cao won at all is astounding.
The battle I mentioned happened outside of Xiapi.
... I still hate Lu Bu, I think he was just awful
2. With Guan Yu I was more referring to the popular opinion, not necessarily on this forum. His reputation is over inflated and the Sanguo Yanyi and folk tales probably did most of the work if not all.
3. I agree some people have a very negative reaction to Zhuge Liang. He's alright in my book I really have no problems with him overall just the exaggerations in Sanguo Yanyi and maybe some other sources.
4. Would Liu Bei beat Xiahou Dun? Hey if you say so.
My problem isn't that Liu Bei used an ambush, just that he seems unable to sustain himself in an even fight. His defeat to victory ratio is ridiculously towards one side, the defeat side. I'm thinking that he only survived or won because he used an ambush in that battle. My opinion of Liu Bei is fairly bad.
5. I was more referring to Xiahou Dun in Sanguo Yanyi where he fought Guan Yu. I think he gets more positive coverage in the book than Cao Hong and Cao Ren.
6. I like Sun Quan everything considered. The Sanguo Yanyi painfully underrates him and treats him like a side note. He is pretty much depicted as a cowardly back stabber who is not very competent and takes a back seat to Liu Bei. This might have distorted people's views of him I think.