Overrated & Underrated

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Overrated & Underrated

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:02 am

I've always thought guys like Dian Wei were overrated over guys like Cao Zhen,

The most underrated for me is prolly someone like Chen Dao, who doesn't show up in the novel that often iirc but seemed to be highly regarded by his peers
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Jebusrocks wrote:I've always thought guys like Dian Wei were overrated over guys like Cao Zhen,

The most underrated for me is prolly someone like Chen Dao, who doesn't show up in the novel that often iirc but seemed to be highly regarded by his peers

Dian Wei will always be awesome, and in my opinion never be overrated enough :lol: :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby greencactaur » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:02 pm

I dont know much about DIan wei other then that he died protecting cao cao.
I do agree however cao Zhen is extremely underrated mainly due to the novel. He had to look bad to over sell Sima yi as the rival of zhuge, but cao Zhen is in my opinion a better tactician and commander then Sima yi
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:05 pm

greencactaur wrote:I dont know much about DIan wei other then that he died protecting cao cao.
I do agree however cao Zhen is extremely underrated mainly due to the novel. He had to look bad to over sell Sima yi as the rival of zhuge, but cao Zhen is in my opinion a better tactician and commander then Sima yi

Yeah, Dian Wei died protecting Cao Cao, but it is how he died which is important. Basically the novel isn't all that far off compared to the history.

They stormed [Cao Cao’s] camp. The battle went against [Cao Cao], with no advantage, he fled on a light horse. Dian Wei battled at the gate preventing the traitors from entering. The troops then entered from the other gates. At the time Dian Wei had about ten or so men; they all fought a desperate battle; each fought like ten men. The traitors numbered many and were coming from front and rear. Dian Wei using his long crescent halberds attacked left and right destroying ten or more. The surrounding area littered with many casualties and dead. Dian Wei received over ten cuts, yet he continued to fight despite lacking troops. Dian Wei held onto two traitors underneath his arms, killing them. The remaining traitors dared not to advance any further. Dian Wei continued attacking the traitors, killing numerous men. His wounds took its toll, he let out a great cry and then died. The traitors dared not to advance and take his head [from his dead body]. They instead returned to the army.

Now, is the history exaggerated? Probably, but the novel didn't have to do too much to make his death more awesome :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 am

Cao Zhen is one of those "hit for the Zhuge Liang vs Sima Yi clash" so while he has a good rep here, he is underestimated by the wider world. Dian Wei pretty much lives up to his novel portrayal and is just awesome :wink:
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby ivolga » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Cao Zhen is one of those "hit for the Zhuge Liang vs Sima Yi clash" so while he has a good rep here, he is underestimated by the wider world. Dian Wei pretty much lives up to his novel portrayal and is just awesome :wink:

It was painful for me to watch the last part of Three Kingdoms 2010 series because of how Cao Zhen is portrayed there... :(

Dian Wei - I don't know, is it even possible to overrate this guy?! :D

Actually, I feel a bit sorry for the overrated characters: in most cases, they are praised for their fictional merits, while their real deeds and good qualities are forgotten. Like Liu Bei, who is remembered as a kind-hearted paragon of benevolence, instead of a charismatic politician and a talented commander he really was. Or Zhuge Liang, whose law-making and administrative talents are ignored in favor of his "mythical" military achievements.
ivolga
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium