Sun Ce: Help for an historical novel about him?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Would you Buy a Novel about Sun Ce

No
No votes
No
No votes
Yes
100%

Total votes : 5

Sun Ce: Help for an historical novel about him?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:53 pm

I'm currently writting historical novel about Sun Ce and although i feel i have a large knowledge of the time period i'm sure many others have superior knowledge or extra information i don't so i'd if appricate people added any infomation they have on him. I won't be able to use all the information given to me but i will use as much of it as i can. Thank you all who help me in this task.
also id like to know when i finish it will anyone buy it?

EDIT: I'd like to apoligise for the two no options.
Last edited by Sun Fin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:39 am

I would like to buy one... but that depends on the price and my pocket money... Oh I might not be able to help you much on your project... But I will root on you... :D

8-) 8-) 8-)
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:44 am

I’ll buy almost any well-written and well-researched book on the Three Kingdoms as long as 1) the cost isn’t insane (I did buy RTKA, though), and 2) it has some original content or translations so I can learn more about the era. I’ll promote ’em, too.

Not many good books outside Rafe’s work, though.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kittn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:51 am

Why are there 2 no options? Not very confident? ;)

Well, of course I voted yes. But I agree, if it's going to be historical then I hope you have verifiable sources and such, and also, something new. I guess I pretty much agree with James.

However, I'd buy a fictional one about him too, if it were written well enough and the plot were interesting. ;) And as long as the author wasn't trying to pass it off as historical fact.
Kittn
Changshi

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:57 am

Historical novels are not history texts. They are novels. If Sun Fin is writing a historical novel, then he's clearly not going to be trying to pass the story off as fact. He's just going to write a novel with a historical setting. Rafe's books aren't novels, so they wouldn't be a fair basis for comparison.

As for my answer, I would certainly buy a good novel about Sun Ce. By good, I mean something that's not a piece of Dynasty Warriors fanfiction or some story of that nature. I love Three Kingdoms, and if someone manages to get a story based in that period published, I would be all for supporting it.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:57 am

Haha, I'm actually already working on a Sun Ce-focused alternative ROTK. But don't let that stop you.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Kittn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:20 am

Kong Wen wrote:Historical novels are not history texts. They are novels. If Sun Fin is writing a historical novel, then he's clearly not going to be trying to pass the story off as fact. He's just going to write a novel with a historical setting. Rafe's books aren't novels, so they wouldn't be a fair basis for comparison.

As for my answer, I would certainly buy a good novel about Sun Ce. By good, I mean something that's not a piece of Dynasty Warriors fanfiction or some story of that nature. I love Three Kingdoms, and if someone manages to get a story based in that period published, I would be all for supporting it.

The 'novel' part doesn't stop some folks from taking SGYY as fact... or presenting it as such. Namely our beloved Koei. :P Gosh though! I've been working on a story about Zhou Yu! Hahaha.

Maybe we should all 3 of us compare notes? ;)
Kittn
Changshi

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:33 am

Well first of all it is a novel as has been pointed out but i would like to make it as factuly correct as possible. Of course there will be some things which are certainly fiction-i won't tell you here as it would give away lots of my story line. also i'd like to say sorry about the two no options :oops:. I hope my story wont't be dynasty warriors based as i have read a lot about the time period but my original reason for getting involved in the three kingdoms was dynasty tactics but now I've very much ROTK (book not game) based which is why i'd like some more historical facts and I'd love to compare notes with you Kittn and Sun Gongli.
Last edited by Sun Fin on Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Sun Ce-Novel

Unread postby Little_Phoenix » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:25 am

Sun Fin wrote:Thank you all who help me in this task.
also id like to know when i finish it will anyone buy it?

As long the price is normal.....okay!! 8-)
Little_Phoenix
Changshi

Unread postby Long » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:26 pm

I would, and here are some brief facts about Sun Ce that you may, or may not have known that could help you feel out what kind of man he was.

1) (And probably the most important) Sun Bofu was a very compassionate and understanding man, even to most of his enemies. He was not at all the hotheaded, reckless, superstitious man that Dynasty Warriors or LGZ painted him as.

2) Sun Bofu's closest family member was not a Sun, but Zhou Gongjin. The two had a bond that transcended blood relation.

3) Early in his career, Sun Ce suffered a defeat that nearly cost him his life.

4) Sun Ce didn't inherit his army from his father or through bartering the Imperial Seal, he toiled for several years under Yuan Shu, gradually gaining the respect and admiration of the men who followed him.

5) The Sun family was not very well established, nor wealthy even though they were said to be descended from Sun Tzu. They were in fact quite poor.
Wu Guotai's (Sun Ce's mother) family was well established though, and was said to be descended from Wu Qi. She willingly left riches to be with the unproven Sun Jian.

6) Sun Ce kept his men very well disciplined, and even executed some of them for committing crimes, thus when his army approached, the people welcomed and loved him, as they knew they would not be harmed nor stolen from.

7) As his army grew, and his reputation grew, he would offer his enemies the chance to surrender before he marched out.
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"Censorship is a tool for the closed-minded and insecure."
Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium