Zhao Yun as popular as ever?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhao Yun as popular as ever?

Unread postby Dirt » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Has Zhao Yun become more popular now with Koei's games? Or has he always been popular just as one of the Tiger Generals?
Dirt
Initiate

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:51 am

Hmmm..... :?

I think he is more popular now with all the Koei games... because he is depicted as a handsome young man wielding a long spear... and posessing an all around abilities...

However thinking back... I know him from the novel and didn't particularly known him from Koei's games... I've read about his deeds at Chang Ban and I was astonished... a single man broke trough the enemy lines alone leaving death in his trail to rescue the child lord... such daunting ability... the more I read the novel the more I like the man...

"Not in ways you think of... I'm a man and I'm not a gay..." :lol: :lol:

Now that since Koei makes Zhao Yun a nice character more and more people know him... and he become a popular man...
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:56 am

I think [the reason why] Zhao Yun is such a hero in Dynasty Warriors, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and other video games like Destiny of an Emperor, is because of the impression left about him in the novel. I imagine there aren’t many people who can read through the novel and not be left with a lasting impression of Zhao Yun (like him or not).

I think people wind up seeing him as a hero regardless of whether their introduction comes of reading the novel, or playing games. He’s Zhao Yun!
Last edited by James on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:57 am

Agreed with James, i think Zhao Yun was a popular figure back when, as well as now...

Maybe it was his heroic deeds, its faithful integrity, or it might've have been his handsome figure, but whatever it was...It has him famous.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Tong » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:58 am

Although koei's depiction of him has certainly increased his popularity, especialy for those many people that have yet to read the entire book.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."--Jack Handy--
Lu Tong
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:59 pm

I agree with all those who have posted all ready that he was popular before the games and that the games present him the same as the novel (a real hero) and that his always been popular and as more people get to know 3K then more people are going to like people but i dont think his growing more popular with loyalists.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby dwonline » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:14 pm

He is the best... say what you want. He's like the warrior version of Zhuge Liang. Unbeatable, and a great person. The difference is he had more success in the end that Zhuge Liang, or at least luck. Zhao was never beaten, and accomplished all he tried. ZL too was amazing, but he never succeeded in his overall ambition - to beat Wei.
dwonline
Initiate

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:19 pm

I was a Zhao Yun fangirl way before I played any 3k-related games. <3

He stood out for me because he was smart, a great fighter, and a nice guy. The only similar person I could think of is Zhang Liao, but Zhang Liao doesn't get even half as much coverage as Zhao Yun did.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Re: Zhao Yun as popular as ever?

Unread postby Striga » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:06 pm

I've never played any Koei games, but the book was sufficient to make him my favourite. I don’t think the game does much to people’s views if they’ve read the book already. I can see myself having an ingame bias based on the novel.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Zhao Yun as popular as ever?

Unread postby Elitemsh » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:03 am

Striga, how do you feel about the real guy? I mean who he was in history?
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium