Who Was Best: Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun, or Sima Yi?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

who is better lu xun or zhuge liang

lu xun
16%
zhuge liang
53%
sima yi
31%

Total votes : 55

Re: Who Was Best: Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun, or Sima Yi?

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Not sure Zhuge Liang was overly attacking, I feel he got the right balance between civil affairs and trying to nibble away at Wei.

Not really. The situation were different Dong. Sima Yi and Lu Xun have more capable commanders and more resources. I think Zhuge Liang's failure are when he faced Hao Zhao and wrongly appointed Ma Su as commander.

About who is the best, it depends on the situation. I see, Lu Xun really capable as a army commander but failed on politics (he gets fired right, when he play the game of throne-by the way, nice mini series- :P )

Zhuge Liang, well balance. But still i prefer is as a great prime minister not a commander.

Sima Yi, good at trickery and very skill on political.

Hmmm for me, the best is Lu Xun. Although he is not good at politics tricks. I like Liu Bei but sorry, out of the like or dislike, what Lu Xun done are trully amazing at the battle.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Shen Ai » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:36 am

If I had to choose one, Zhuge Liang easily. Skilled in politics, administration and governing, and decent as a military commander. I would have him over Lu Xun, who didn't seem as politically skilled and was a good defensive general, and definitely over Sima Yi, who I never thought was too skilled in military ways and didn't seem like the right type of man to have your back in a crisis.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Shen Ai wrote:If I had to choose one, Zhuge Liang easily. Skilled in politics, administration and governing, and decent as a military commander. I would have him over Lu Xun, who didn't seem as politically skilled and was a good defensive general, and definitely over Sima Yi, who I never thought was too skilled in military ways and didn't seem like the right type of man to have your back in a crisis.

Lu Xun didn't seem to be a bad Prime Minister.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:19 am

Not fantastic either and he clearly wasn't deemed important enough to keep around.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhao Yun '87 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm

He was also a bit of a douche.
The problem was I was on fire.
Zhao Yun '87
Master

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 pm

I think he was strict, like Xu Huang was. Either way, he didn't implement any huge changes in the governmental system at all unlike Zhuge Liang and Chen Qun and while he was Chancellor Wu was fairly quiet in terms of military achievements.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhao Yun '87 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:38 am

Lu Xun was more interested in being right than correct. He was hypocritical and, like I said, a bit of a jerk (look into his time around with the crown prince sometime around 229 a.d.). Aside from interactions with fellow officers as in that time he was reported as unnecesarily drafting commoners, his retreat from Xiangyang was originally conducted very well and then just plain cruel. He ambushed a small county after the enemy had ceased their pursuit, and for no reason. He caused large amounts of civilian deaths and then proceeded to kill civilians directly. Those they didn't kill they captured and then they make a show of being benevolent. But less than 1k civilians isn't going to hurt Wei or help Wu much.

The Lu Shi ordeal was silly as well. Maybe he was just bored, but why bother with that? In a dickish way too. You ever notice any time someone asks him about something someone else thinks he disagrees?

He was a pretty good military commander, though I'd have to hear others arguments before I would say he was close to great, but his political side wasn't great, probably hurt by his personality.
The problem was I was on fire.
Zhao Yun '87
Master

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:01 am

Sima Yi was great in his own right, but not so great for his country.

Zhuge Liang was great all around.

I somewhat disagree with the interpretations of Lu Xun here. Politically I think he had some good ideas. Sun Quan was routinely making stupid decisions when he and Lu Xun started butting heads. The way he handled the succession was disastrous, and Lu Xun just wanted to avert trouble. As for him wanting to be more right than correct...principles/rites/traditions are very important in Chinese philosophy. Arguments between ministers who believed things should follow propriety and those that were a little bit more realpolitik were not uncommon. However, in this case I think Lu Xun had both proper conduct and realistic concerns in mind regarding the succession. I personally think Lu Xun was great.

I've always liked Zhuge Liang, but I am very hard-pressed between him and Lu Xun. They were both enormous boons to their country. I'm going to actually not vote on this.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:21 pm

In terms of the succession issue, I would back up Lu Xun. He was in the right. In terms of his political skill, I guess you could say others vetoed him before he could implement anything, but Zhang Zhao didn't have a huge amount of trouble implementing what he thought was right, unless you count the ridicule he experienced.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bear_Fry » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:33 am

I voted Sima Yi. That doesn't seem to be the popular vote, but I voted that way because I feel like there was a lot of hidden potential in him. He lost against Zhuge Liang, but I would think that is a bad place to start to critique someones tactical abilities.

Also, I understand why someone would pick Zhou Yu, Zhuge Liang, or Lu Xun over him. But for some reason I just don't think that Sima Yi was able to demonstrate his potential with the political situations he was put in. He was caught in a crossfire between his own Emperor, and Zhuge Liang. Standing in-between Wei, and Shu at that time was a very bad place to be.

Again, I understand why people voted differently. Just some food for thought.
Bear_Fry
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium