Who Was Best: Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun, or Sima Yi?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

who is better lu xun or zhuge liang

lu xun
16%
zhuge liang
53%
sima yi
31%

Total votes : 55

Re:

Unread postby Aventador951 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 am

Terranigma Freak wrote:This poll is lame. Of course ZGL wins. Sima Yi died shortly after he became Prime Minster, and Lu Xun didn't do crap worth mentioning. And I think Lu Xun also died shortly going into that position. This is no contest.

What you should be asking is whether ZGL or Cao Cao was a better Prime Minister.

In fact Lu Xun is worth mentioning, he did manage to drive of Liu Bei's revenge attack against the Southland right after Guan Yu and Zhang Fei had died. That is a pretty good feat, although Liu Bei wasn't using much tactics and was being overconfident of his abilities then.

Also, I believe that Lu Meng said that Lord Guan's defeat at Jingzhou was all Lu Xun's doing. (All this is in ROTK)
Aventador951
Initiate

Re: Who Was Best: Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun, or Sima Yi?

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Lu Xun was really hyped up as a child genius in the novel and his 'aid' in Jing was to make it look like Lu Meng, Zhou Yu's apprentice, could not win on his own. Of course, Lu Xun did not historically have a role there at all. Lu Meng did it all.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 am

Lu Xun did have a role in Jing, a fairly considerable one as an adviser, "Lu Meng's successor" and as a general once the Wu forces arrived in Jing.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Did he? I always thought that was just novel.

But he wasn't a military figure during that campaign was he, as you've claimed that he was an adviser.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:12 am

Strategists play a type of military role during battles. If they weren't around, you'd have some warrior charging around and getting himself trapped. Lu Xun's advice was heeded, and it succeeded in capturing Jing. Then, there is the second half of Dong's statement:
Dong Zhou wrote:and as a general once the Wu forces arrived in Jing.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:22 am

But the overall plan was Lu Meng's idea, right? And he was the leader of the forces. Did Lu Xun assume some form of command when Lu Meng fell ill.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aventador951 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:32 am

Striga wrote:Strategists play a type of military role during battles. If they weren't around, you'd have some warrior charging around and getting himself trapped. Lu Xun's advice was heeded, and it succeeded in capturing Jing. Then, there is the second half of Dong's statement:
Dong Zhou wrote:and as a general once the Wu forces arrived in Jing.

Just a quick note: most of the Southland commanders didn't trust Lu Xun's tactics at first (the same happened with Zhuge Liang) but were impressed with the results.

I wouldn't say they only play a type of military role, but they play a crucial role during a battle. With the warrior charging around thing, they would most likely be killed (who was famous for this? I was about to put down Dian Wei, but he didn't die because of bad tactics) but most of the time (in the SGYY I have) they escape at the cost of half or more the force dead.
Aventador951
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:28 am

Shen Ai wrote:But the overall plan was Lu Meng's idea, right? And he was the leader of the forces. Did Lu Xun assume some form of command when Lu Meng fell ill.

Yes and no, Lu Meng was sent to capture parts of Jing while Lu Meng took other parts.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Striga » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:48 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Shen Ai wrote:But the overall plan was Lu Meng's idea, right? And he was the leader of the forces. Did Lu Xun assume some form of command when Lu Meng fell ill.

Yes and no, Lu Meng was sent to capture parts of Jing while Lu Meng took other parts.

Umm. Which Lu Meng was supposed to be Lu Xun or some other commander?
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:27 am

:oops:

Either works really but think the latter was meant to be Lu Xun
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium