How many children, and wives did Liu Bei have...?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

How many children, and wives did Liu Bei have...?

Unread postby zhuge liang2 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:54 am

I was just curious, how many wives did Liu Bei have, and how many
sons did he have? How many wives did Cao Cao have, and how many
sons did he have? How many wives did Sun Jian have, and how many
sons did he have?
zhuge liang2
Tyro

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:00 am

Liu Bei- Wives: 3 Sons: 4(Including Liu Feng)
Cao Cao- Wives: 6 Sons: 25
Sun Jian- Wives: 1 Sons: 5

Of course, this is not counting consorts.
ZhouTai50
Sage

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:00 am

Liu Bei- Wives: 3

I thought Liu Bei had 4 wives: Lady Mi, Lady Gan, Lady Sun and a fourth whose name I can't remember but became his wife after he conquered Shu.

25 sons! I had no idea he had so many, from what the novel showed I always assumed he only a few: Cao Pi, Cao Zhi and Cao Zhang.
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
Lord Chuff
Langzhong

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:20 am

ZhouTai50 wrote:Liu Bei- Wives: 3 Sons: 4(Including Liu Feng)
Sun Jian- Wives: 1 Sons: 5

Of course, this is not counting consorts.

If you're not counting consorts, Cao Cao only had two official wives. See my new Cao family tree for more detailed information.

Liu Bei had at least four wives and concubines (Lady Gan, Lady Mi, Lady Sun, Lady Wu). It's unknown exactly how many of these women could be considered principal wives.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that only Lady Sun, Lady Wu, and Lady Mi were Liu Bei's wives. Lady Gan was just a consort, if I recall.

Hmm, Cao Cao was married to Princess Bian and Lady Ding, then, and not the others?
ZhouTai50
Sage

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:40 pm

ZhouTai50 wrote:I'm pretty sure that only Lady Sun, Lady Wu, and Lady Mi were Liu Bei's wives. Lady Gan was just a consort, if I recall.

Of the wives we know about and have names for, I believe you're right.

ZhouTai50 wrote:Hmm, Cao Cao was married to Princess Bian and Lady Ding, then, and not the others?

Sure, if that's how we'd like to think about marriage practices back then. It's evident that some of the concubines were highly favoured and considered to rival the wives in rank (the first Lady Liu in particular), though.
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby TsaoTsao » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Kong Wen wrote:Sure, if that's how we'd like to think about marriage practices back then. It's evident that some of the concubines were highly favoured and considered to rival the wives in rank (the first Lady Liu in particular), though.

Refresh my memory, but Lady Liu was his first wife right? Cao Ang's biological mother who died at child birth or something?
TsaoTsao
Master

Location: The Canadian city every other Canadian not living here hates

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:56 pm

TsaoTsao wrote:Refresh my memory, but Lady Liu was his first wife right? Cao Ang's biological mother who died at child birth or something?

His first wife was Lady Ding. Lady Liu, Cao Ang's mom, was a concubine (albeit a highly cherished one). She died a few years after he was born (Cao Ang had a younger brother and a younger sister). After she died, Cao Ang was raised by Lady Ding.
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:00 pm

But despite the fact that Cao Ang wasn't her son, Lady Ding loved him like her own. When Ang died, she supposedly was so overcome with grief, that Cao Cao divorced her because apparently she was too depressing to be around, making Lady Bian his principal wife.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby TsaoTsao » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Cao Ah Man wrote:But despite the fact that Cao Ang wasn't her son, Lady Ding loved him like her own. When Ang died, she supposedly was so overcome with grief, that Cao Cao divorced her because apparently she was too depressing to be around, making Lady Bian his principal wife.

Wait, wasn't it Lady Ding that left Cao Cao (and she slapped him on his way out too I think. Or am I mixing the sgz with that tv series?) because he "killed" her son? I remember Cao Cao went to visit her a few times at her home trying to win her back but she just stopped talking to him afterwards. Afterwards Cao Cao divorced her and told his father-in-law to find a good man for her.
TsaoTsao
Master

Location: The Canadian city every other Canadian not living here hates

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium