3 Brothers becoming more like Cao Cao the longer they fight

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

3 Brothers becoming more like Cao Cao the longer they fight

Unread postby Eijiyoshikawa » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:35 am

While I was reading, something kind of far fetched popped up in my mind.

Towards the end of the first half of the novel we see that the 3 brothers start to subtly change:

-- Guan Yu starts to become more hasty and irrational (e.g. his wanting to fight Ma Chao when he has the responsibility of taking care of Jingzhou)

--Zhang Fei actually starts to become a little smart, as opposed to being a dumb brute (e.g. his iincorporation of Yan Yan into his army instead of executing him)

--Liu Bei begins to flaunt his virtue in an almost 'arrogant' manner; he starts to openly and consistently say that he is a 'humane and virtuous person'

My theory is perhaps that the longer the 3 brothers continue to fight Cao Cao, the more they start to become him. Those 3 aspects of change that the 3 brothers went through -- hastyness and arrogant confidence (Guan Yu), cunning (Zhang Fei), and external display of pseudo virtue (Liu Bei) -- all embody the character of Cao Cao.

I know it's kind of far fetched, but what do you guys think
Eijiyoshikawa
Tyro

Unread postby Guan Gong » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:43 am

Perhaps in the novel, yes. Remember the 3 Brothers historically weren't all they were in the novel (IIRC Zhang Fei wasn't a drunk, historically).
Guan Gong
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:30 am

I think Liu Bei always flaunted it really and Zhang Fei did have a fair few smart moments at the start, he suggests raising troops and has a few plans of his own that don't get remembered too often.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:08 pm

Historically, Liu Bei was just as ruthless as Cao Cao...
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:48 pm

I agree, I think Cao Cao had a bad influence on them.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Chao » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:48 pm

If that's the case, you could claim that almost everyone exhibits these traits that exemplify Mengde.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Zeche » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:22 am

That happens to everyone. As people get older, they naturally become wiser and crankier.
You will not like me.
Zeche
Academic

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:13 pm

It's sad that they realized after that long that acting like Mengde can make you stronger :wink: Can we say that historically, Zhang Fei was one of the few that become more polyvalent with time?
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby DAv » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Rakoru Hiryuu wrote:It's sad that they realized after that long that acting like Mengde can make you stronger :wink: Can we say that historically, Zhang Fei was one of the few that become more polyvalent with time?

That would depend on what polyvalent meant :wink:
It's 108 miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of ciggerates. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses - Elwood
Hit it - Jake
DAv
Academic

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Jiang Zhi wrote:Historically, Liu Bei was just as ruthless as Cao Cao...

I don’t know if I’d call Liu Bei as ruthless as Cao Cao (e.g. his march on Tao Qian, his handling of the Guan Du prisoners), but Liu Bei certainly was very much like Cao Cao in history.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium