Had Sima Yi stormed into the Empty Fort...

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Had Sima Yi stormed into the Empty Fort...

Unread postby lanceyap » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:07 pm

If Sima Yi were to storm into the empty fort (西城) after ZGL loss of Jieting, Shu would definitely fall much earlier.

Agree?
lanceyap
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:19 pm

It depends, if Zhuge Liang is captured or killed then Sima Yi will conquer Shu and Wu till eventually fall as Shu is unable to cope without Zhuge Liang in the novel, if Zhuge Liang escapes (which is what I guess would happen), Kongming would have slightly less fame but things continue as they did. There was always a small chance of escape if Zhuge Liang had luck on his side
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:10 am

I agree, although I don't see how Zhuge Liange could possibly have escaped if Sima Yi had entered the fort. He would have been trapped, with hardly any soldiers to protect him or help him escape.
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
Lord Chuff
Langzhong

Unread postby Lu Kang » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:19 am

Judging from a Novel Zhuge Liang perspective...

I'm sure he would have had a horse with it's engine running in the back of the fort just in case. If Sima Yi charges in, Zhuge runs out and leads them into an ambush.
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:26 am

Lu Kang wrote:I'm sure he would have had a horse with it's engine running in the back of the fort just in case. If Sima Yi charges in, Zhuge runs out and leads them into an ambush.

But he was sitting on top of the wall. How would he have made it to a horse with Sima Yi's army flooding into the city (and probably surrounding it)?
He didn't have enough troops to set an ambush though. If he did he wouldn't have needed to use the ruse in the first place.

Judging from a Novel Zhuge Liang perspective...

Just wondering, did the empty city ruse occur historically?
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
Lord Chuff
Langzhong

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:56 am

Ma Chao, Spear of Justice wrote:Just wondering, did the empty city ruse occur historically?
No, it never happend, just like the "borrow of arrows"
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:15 am

It did happen, except that it was actually performed by Wen Pin against Sun Quan, not by Zhuge Liang against Sima Yi.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:39 am

But why Luo Guanzhong (sorry for the bad spelling) would steal the tactics of Wen Pin to give it to Zhuge Liang? Or it simply say that ZL used the same tactics that Wen Pin used?
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby Tarrot » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:06 am

That wasn't Luo's fault. Luo worked with the sources he had. The Empty City plot was attributed to Zhuge before the novel in various plays and such. Also, Zhao Yun's recorded to have performed a similar action as well, and does so in the novel too.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:28 am

Ma Cho, Zhuge Liang is godly in the novel, he probably have a few other tricks up his sleeve :wink:

Zhao Yun also did it on a Wei army according to one annotation to the sgz. I think LGZ was trying to make up for the errors he was forced for Zhuge Liang to make and the opera tales that had adapted the ploy to Kongming were an excellent way of making him super again.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium