Who was with Guan Yu in Jing Zhou?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who was with Guan Yu in Jing Zhou?

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:37 am

I've often used as a point in my discussions about Guan Yu is that he was basically alone in Jing Zhou when he was protecting it for Liu Bei.

However, I dont know for sure I'm right.

So..

Is it just me, or was it Guan Yu, Mi Fang and Fu Shiren with a couple of other people in Jing Zhou to protect this whole important part of Liu Bei's land? Or were there others there who were supposed to advise and assist Guan Yu?

I mean- I always feel like Guan Yu didn't really have any solid backup to win any battles because he was there.. basically.. alone!
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:59 am

Yeah he still had Zhou Cang, Guan Ping,Liao Hua and Ma Liang.
Zhou Cang has man str in the game and Guan ping has at least 80. Ma Liang was smart but he couldnt do anything..

He was suppose to dpend on his Wu allies though.
It seems even Liu Feng didnt want to aid him...
"No one... not even Sun Tzu can survive this!"
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:35 pm

Zhou Cang would have been hard to get anything out of though, seeing as he was fictional. :wink:

Liao Hua could have been a help, but what did he do in that campaign?

Ma Liang was pretty decrepit by then wasn't he? And he didn't do much in terms of advise or war matters, right?

Guan Ping- there's no SGZ translation for him, so I dont really know historically what he was like.. so.. even though he looks amazing in the novel (surprise, surprise!) I dont feel I can asses him clearly.

Anyone know any answers to these?
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:00 pm

Shi Tong wrote:Zhou Cang would have been hard to get anything out of though, seeing as he was fictional. :wink:

Liao Hua could have been a help, but what did he do in that campaign?

Ma Liang was pretty decrepit by then wasn't he? And he didn't do much in terms of advise or war matters, right?

Guan Ping- there's no SGZ translation for him, so I dont really know historically what he was like.. so.. even though he looks amazing in the novel (surprise, surprise!) I dont feel I can asses him clearly.

Anyone know any answers to these?

Liao Hua was Guan Yu's secretary as he had only joined recently. Guan Ping as you said we know really nothing about. Guan Yu's "controller" was Zhao Lei who was also captured and killed. Not exactly sure what a controller did but i think Hua Xiong was Dong Zhuo's controller if i am not mistaken so it could mean a military officer, or a high civil official.
I don't know anyone else who was with him. I am not sure if Ma Liang was actually there in history.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:01 pm

I don't think Wang Fu was there either, at least not in the brilliant but ignored advisor context in the novel.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lu Kang » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:45 pm

Yang Yi was under Guan Yu in some capacity for some period of time.

Yeah....that does sound pretty vague.

Whatever he did do I believe it was limited as I think he defected to Guan Yu during his campaign north.
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:56 pm

I just always get the picture that Guan Yu didn't really have any advise or help, and it appears I could have been right.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy abadoned in an important province and given the whole job with a bunch of duds in the pack.

I dunno- maybe it's just the Guan Yu lover coming out in my again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zeche » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:17 pm

Shi Tong wrote:I kinda feel sorry for the guy abadoned in an important province and given the whole job with a bunch of duds in the pack.

Probably Zhuge Liang's revenge for letting Cao Cao go.
Zeche
Academic

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:40 pm

Yang Yi
Who was he again.. Im getting confused... was he the guy who serve Zhuge Liang that hated Wei Yan?
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Zeche » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:52 pm

Shadowlink wrote:
Yang Yi
Who was he again.. Im getting confused... was he the guy who serve Zhuge Liang that hated Wei Yan?

He was the guy who fought with Wei Yan to get Jiang Wan's position and killed Wei Yan's whole family.
Zeche
Academic

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium