Pang Tong or Sima Yi

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Pang Tong or Sima Yi

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:42 am

I was wandering who is the better. The people said that if you have either the sleeping dragon (Zhuge Liang) or the fledging Phoenix (Pang Tong) you could capture the world. It's clear to me that ZL was the best stategist and Sima Yi was on his tail. Due the fast death of Pang Tong I have difficulties to know who was the best strategist between Pang Tong and Sima Yi.
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:59 am

Pang Tong gave good advice for the conquest of Yizhou, but his historical accomplishments are nothing compared to Sima Yi's.

Sima Yi quashed Meng Da's rebellion with unbelieveable swiftness, and also conquered Gongsun Yuan. Although he lost some battles against Zhuge Liang, and did some foolish things as a commander against him (I think Cao Zhen was better, personally), he did manage to stop Zhuge Liang from gaining a decisive edge against Wei. He also was a fairly good politician and did some smart PR moves that allowed his family to gain high positions in the Wei government.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:14 am

But if Pang Tong had lived longer, could he done greater things that Sima Yi did as strategist because I don't think that Pang Tong was as good at politics as he was on strategy. And if Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong worked together could Shu really had a chance to win?
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby James » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:33 am

We’ll never know when it comes to Pang Tong. Some shining reviews of his talent appear in historic documents but he did not live long enough to prove himself on that level. Zhongda, on the other hand, lived a life more than long enough for us to know what he was made of.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:56 am

I think Pang Tong was more adventurous but I think Sima Yi knew long term implications of things he did whereas Pang Tong's advice could be short term brilliance but have bad consequences. I would prefer Sima because of that
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:47 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I think Pang Tong was more adventurous but I think Sima Yi knew long term implications of things he did whereas Pang Tong's advice could be short term brilliance but have bad consequences. I would prefer Sima because of that

Well said. I would take Sima Yi as well. More for the reason of he didn't seem...arrogant? as Pang Tong.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:54 pm

Pang Tong's advice could be short term brilliance but have bad consequences
eh... how...? >< sorry. Pang Tong was arrogrant...? when..? he didnt think he was better than others and was jealous of Zhuge Liang saying that if they had Zhuge Liang they didnt need him... anyways he did care when Liu Bei Yizhou. He is those who hid his feelings.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Zeche » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:00 pm

Sima Yi cause he is Gao Qiu.
Zeche
Academic

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:19 pm

Shadowlink wrote:
Pang Tong's advice could be short term brilliance but have bad consequences
eh... how...? >< sorry. Pang Tong was arrogrant...? when..? he didnt think he was better than others and was jealous of Zhuge Liang saying that if they had Zhuge Liang they didnt need him... anyways he did care when Liu Bei Yizhou. He is those who hid his feelings.

Zhuge Liang told Pang Tong not to go to battle and he did because he though ZL was trying to keep him from glory...look how that turned out.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:35 pm

:lol: gosh Im a horrible Shuist now, I dont remember any of that, It was Pang job to help Liu then he got ambushed. Yup everyone is jealous of Zhuge Liang.
I need to read the book again...
Wait I dont think Zhuge Liang told Pang Tong not to go to battle.. he didnt realize Pang Tong die until the star fell.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium