A question about Xiahou Dun

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

A question about Xiahou Dun

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:13 am

He's know as a very skilled warrior in the biggest part of life with only 1 eye, could he been a match for Guan Yu, Zhang Fei or even Lu Bu with his 2 eyes?
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:51 am

You mean in the novel or historically? Historically he was known to be somewhat violent, but I don't think he could have beaten Lu Bu had they gone toe to toe...or horse to horse or whatever...
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:19 am

I meant historically, probably he couldn't win against Lu Bu but maybe against Guan Yu or Zhang Fei with his 2 eyes. I don't know if he was more skilled on horse than he was on foot.
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:57 am

No, Zhang Fei and Lu Bu would have chewed him out historically in battle and would give Guan Yu the edge too, Dun shouldn't be given sole command of anything military. Novel wise, Dun might get a few draws with two eyes in duel but while brave, I don't remember him being an outstanding warrior at any point
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby FuguNabe » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:09 am

Was about to post but realised Dong Zhou got there before me with my ppoint. Xiahou Dun a mediocrity historically in generalship and wouldn't last against those people mentioned in a a campaign or in a fight.
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Tan_Binrui » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:31 pm

The Topic Creator was talking about a duel. Who would win in a fight, not a field battle.

Then again, my opinion is based off of an entry in his SGZ biography that used to exist, but disappeared. This entry mentioned how Lu Bu raided Cao Cao's camp at night, and Xiahou Dun led the defense, which lasted long after Cao Cao retreated to safety, Lu Bu finally retreating at dawn.

In the novel, this is intensified with Xiahou Dun and Lu Bu fighting each other in a duel until dawn.

Now, ignoring the novel, we still have one warrior's prowess against another, and neither faltered. Because of this, I've always looked at Xiahou Dun as dedicated and physically powerful, though certainly not the better general (but certainly the better governor).

However, I must say again, the only proof I had was that one statement that was formally in his SGZ biography, and then disappeared. I know not where it went.
"Because he has died, there is no more room for death in him." -- Lao Tzu
Tan_Binrui
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Wouldn't that be good leadership then strength? I would pick Lu Bu, as he a won a duel, Guan Yu as he killed somebody and no idea about Zhang Fei vs Dun
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zeche » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Hardly anyone actually dueled in history so it would be rather hard to tell who the winner would be.
Zeche
Academic

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:28 pm

I suppose all you have to do is to taunt him by yelling "Blind Xiahou!!!" at him, which will get him into a, uh, blind rage. To fight effectively you need to be calm and observant of your surroundings, so this would put Dunny at a disadvantage.

You can also try to calculate where his blind spots are and hope he doesn't shoulder-check...
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zeche » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:21 am

Lady Wu wrote:I suppose all you have to do is to taunt him by yelling "Blind Xiahou!!!" at him, which will get him into a, uh, blind rage. To fight effectively you need to be calm and observant of your surroundings, so this would put Dunny at a disadvantage.

You can also try to calculate where his blind spots are and hope he doesn't shoulder-check...

Ma Chao defeated Zhang He in 20 bouts when he was angry while a calm Zhang Fei took a lot more. Zhuge Liang said something along the lines of "Should we have Guan Yu come to take care of Ma Chao?" to enrage Zhang Fei before fighting Ma Chao. I believe Cao Cao also said something to enrage Xu Chu before fighting Ma Chao. Sorry all my examples include Ma Chao. :lol:
Zeche
Academic

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium