What was Lu Bu really like?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What was Lu Bu really like?

Unread postby man_on_the_pot » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:03 pm

Reading Lu Bu's SGZ gave me a new picture of him. Was Lu Bu really the sadistic maniacal man he was portrayed as in the game?
man_on_the_pot
Initiate

Re: What was Lu Bu really like?

Unread postby Foif » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:08 pm

man_on_the_pot wrote:Reading Lu Bu's SGZ gave me a new picture of him. Was Lu Bu really the sadistic maniacal man he was portrayed as in the game?

Yes. Although he had his moments, he wasnt all that reliable, and betrayed many lords and treated his underlings with minimum respect.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:37 pm

The thing about Lu Bu, is that he's not all that different from some of the warriors in the same era that are celebrated as hero's. Sure, he's not the Kongming of warriors in terms of intelligence, but he gets a bit of a bad rap by many people. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some of the bad comments he receives, it's just that he's not quite as bad as the games and novel would have us believe. He was a selfish son of a gun, there's no denying that, but there were worse people in the era that's for damn sure.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby man_on_the_pot » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:59 am

Compare Lu Bu's character to that of Cao Cao's or the Yuan brothers.. Was he anywhere near them when it came to selfish ambition? To me, it seems as though Lu Bu killed Dong Zhuo to relieve the Emperor as well as to cover up his relationship with Diao Chan.
man_on_the_pot
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:07 am

Yes Lu Bu was as selfish and filled with ambition, unlike the other he didn't have any real political nous and was far too erratic with his loyalty. Lu Bu had helped Dongy control Xian, I suspect his betrayal there was because he feared for his life.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Tan_Binrui » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Yes Lu Bu was as selfish and filled with ambition, unlike the other he didn't have any real political nous and was far too erratic with his loyalty. Lu Bu had helped Dongy control Xian, I suspect his betrayal there was because he feared for his life.

It could be a multi-faceted event. Previous to his death, Dong Zhuo had threatened Lu Bu with physical harm. Although the Diao Chan plot didn't exist, I believe Wang Yun still had a hand in the assassination, mainly the part where he convinced Lu Bu to do it. This physical threat was the focus of that piece.

Also, Wang Yun held an edict written directly from the Emperor. Certainly, even if he didn't have full loyalty to the Emperor, he felt the time was then to take advantage of it.

Not to mention the military and political gain he would attain from such an act. Killing Dong Zhuo would mean he would gain Chang An, a venerable fortress, and the leftover military of Dong Zhuo. Unfortunately, this didn't matter since those inside the city let Li Jue inside Chang An...

I look at Lu Bu as a simple minded man. He does what he feels is best for himself at that time, caring little for other opinions. Point in case, even when he looked at the big picture and sought to ally with Yuan Shu, he defied everyone else's advice. That is, of course, until Chen Deng convinced him otherwise.
"Because he has died, there is no more room for death in him." -- Lao Tzu
Tan_Binrui
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Tan, obviously my explanation was oversimplified but I agree with what you said
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:08 am

I agree with Tan and Dong on this one.

Even though I think there were several reasons to do away with Dong Zhuo, I dont think there's much justification for his killing of Ding Yuan, that was just cold heartedly caluculated for gain.

Very cruel.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rakoru Hiryuu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:48 am

I think that maybe it was for gaining Dong Zhuo loyalty knowing that he was a powerful men but I agree that he was cruel doing that and killing the man who wanted to drink because he retrieved his horses.
Rakoru Hiryuu
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:58 am

He didn't kill the man, he threatened to punish him for breaking the law as getting drunk during a siege isn't always a good idea
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium