Shaving in the RoTK era

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:48 am

The types of stylish facial hair you see in Dynasty Warriors' version of Sun Ce or the ROTK11 version of Han Dang aren't very realistic for the era, since as Lady Wu mentioned, shaving was a nono unless you were doing it for a special purpose. Cao Cao cut his own hair when his horse trampled a field; he cut his beard to hide from Ma Chao. Zhou Fang of Wu cut his beloved, Samsonite locks so that he could convince Cao Xiu of his false surrender.

Asian males are usually not very hairy, especially when compared to Caucasians (I'm a Sasquatch). So even though people didn't shave then, people like Guan Yu and Taishi Ci, who had large beards, were worth special mention because they were hairier than the average Chinese man. (Both Taishi Ci and Guan Yu hail from the north. This may just be a coincidence, however.)
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:40 am

But. . I promised to start drawing facial hair! That's why I'm excited about the natural-grown style of the wise-man beard. And the. . . slightly-longer-than-5 o'clock shadow pseudobeard?

:lol: You're a nutter (that's an affectionate British term BTW- I'm not being rude! :wink: )

Lady Wu is right, and if you recall there was another thread about the accuracy of the portraits in games of the SG characters.

I agree with Lady Wu too- I really hate the fact that KOEI decide what someone looks like, changes them to look less Chinese and gives most of them unrealistic beards.

Yes, and Taishi Ci. :D
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:16 pm

Doesn't that make you feel sorry for those men who got killed by Yuan Shao et al when they were slaughtering down eunuchs in the palace? It's not even like you could say "if they hadn't shaved that morning, they wouldn't have been mistaken for a eunuch." It's like, they were destined to die that day, by not having beard-genes.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:24 pm

Haha, inaccurate facial hair is the least of the ROTK portraits' problems.

Yeah, though lots of Asian guys aren't very hairy, there are exceptions -- ape-like exceptions. For northerners Guan Yu and Taishi Ci (whose ROTK portrait has also always irked me), well, I would think that colder or drier -- mostly drier, I guess - environments would lead to more body/facial hair, but there are so many exceptions that my generalization doesn't make sense. I can't even say that on average northern Chinese guys are hairier than southerners, simply because for every five smooth southern guys there's a guy waiting to be hunted for his pelt. Maybe it's just hairy legs. I dunno, everyone shaves nowadays! (Which I have no problem with).

And Lady Wu: Yes, that really sucks! Why didn't they do quick close-up checks to look for wisps of hair?

I imagine men would be happy that they didn't have to shave, though. And, of course, women, with whom I don't really understand the purpose of shaving, for the RTK reason: If it grows there on both guys and girls, it's gotta have a purpose, so leave it be.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Zhilong » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:01 am

Lady Wu wrote:Doesn't that make you feel sorry for those men who got killed by Yuan Shao et al when they were slaughtering down eunuchs in the palace? It's not even like you could say "if they hadn't shaved that morning, they wouldn't have been mistaken for a eunuch." It's like, they were destined to die that day, by not having beard-genes.

I wonder if the ennuchs in charge of the imperial theater managed to fool anyone by shoving on one of those opera beards! :lol:
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 am

:lol: classic.

It wasn't the genes which stopped the eunachs having no beards, it was the lack of..

anyway.

I would say that the reason that some Northern Chinese people today aren't as short/ dark/ hairless is that there's a higher chance of mixed genes with caucasian people (Russians), this wouldn't have been true back in RTK days, seeing as the Northern border was Mongolian, and I dont know how many Russian caucasians bordered with China at the time.

However, I do think it's genes which make people taller hairier etc, so I think they were slightly different genetically to have been those things.

Nowadays there's really quite a marked difference in looks between Northern Chinese and Southern Chinese people.

I dont know if everyone would agree, but that's the way it is in my experience. :D
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dekirh » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Genes play a part, but diet helps a lot too. Some people would be taller/hairier with the exact same diet but the diet would help you grow more.
The death of one paves the way for another.
Dekirh
Academic

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:03 pm

oooh..

What's the "lots of hair diet"? I've not heard of that one?

Are you sure?

I mean- I know that if you have a certain diet you can get taller/ shorter/ fatter/ slimmer, but I've really never heard the idea you can get hairier on certain diets!
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dekirh » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:52 am

Calcium maybe? I don't know, but don't you have to absorb some minerals before you can grow? Maybe it doesn't help to grow but a deficiency can prevent it from growing.

I don't know the science of it but my way of thinking is that there must be an input before an output.
The death of one paves the way for another.
Dekirh
Academic

Re: Shaving in the RoTK era

Unread postby Rydain » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:53 am

I don't have a specific source to cite, and I'm not sure how accurate my memory is. However, I recall reading about children's hair styles that involved some head shaving. Were these commonly worn in the RoTK era? If so, how did that mesh with the filial importance of hair? Did the no-shaving rule only kick in upon adolescence or adulthood?

Although shaving was a no-no except in the few cases discussed in this thread, how about trimming? Were men allowed to shape their beards as long as the hair was not removed entirely?
Rydain
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium