Shaving in the RoTK era

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:24 am

Tonto_Simfish wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Liu_Bei_Portrait_2.jpg

haha - it looks like the artist didn't draw the correct picture of Liu Bei :p

I suppose someone was desperate to make him look more manly!

hm - your post count just went down. What happened?

It did? I didn't even notice. :lol:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:00 am

I agree with Lady Wu on this one- I have many Taiwanese friends, and one who realllly wants to grow a beard but cant because.. he's just not built that way.

Lots of ROTK people must have been the same.

Remember also that when you have shaven before, your beard tends to come back harder and faster than before you shaved, so people who never shaved may have a likelyhood to never have strong hair in the beard area at all.

I think most of the Taiwanese people I know dont have beards, and only a few have strong enough stubble to grow a decent beard, so chances are, most ROTK officers had small and insignificant beards, with the exceptions being people like Guan Yu. :D
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:34 pm

Aww. What about those cool ancient-chinese-wise-scholar-man long moustaches with the thin, long goatee? Not even style-shaving? :'(
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 pm

CaTigeReptile wrote:Aww. What about those cool ancient-chinese-wise-scholar-man long moustaches with the thin, long goatee? Not even style-shaving? :'(

They grow that way naturally!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:29 pm

I think Liu Bei wasn't known to have a lot of facial hair. He probably had a small moustache and barely any beard. Cao Cao, however, I can picture with a big beard and much more facial hair. Same with Sun Quan.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:16 pm

Lady Wu wrote:They grow that way naturally!

Hee hee. . .sweet!

Anyway, I forgot to mention:

The incident where Cao Cao cut his hair short is seperate from the Ma Chao novel thing -- it's not in the novel, as a matter of fact (I think it's not, anyway). It's in his SGZ Bio. If I recall correctly, it's when he makes some rule about not eating the grain that you farm by penalty of death, and he accidentally does it, and says that he, too, needs to suffer the penalty -- death. His advisors/officers/everyone managed to convince him to cut off his hair, instead, because his death would be too great of a loss.

Oh, and also, Qin Shi Huang's soldiers all have stylish, different facial hair. I recall one guy who's even just sporting a pair of groovy sideburns. Different during the Qin than during the Han when it came to cutting off hair?
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:38 am

You're right Cat.

Yes, that style of goatee is the kind which naturally grows more- so you can hold on to your old wise Chinese blokes with whispy beards.

You'll note that they usually have a gap on their top lip (beards grow less at that joining point too), and the beard is concentrated on the middle of the chin (unlike myself- hair all over my face.. appart from my eyelids and cheeks and forehead and nose that is.. just.. quite a lot of beard..)
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Yeah -- that's the one! That's the goatee! That's so awesome! You must be able to tell when an ancient chinese man is TRULY wise because that stylin' wise-man goatee/gap-moustache-that's-long-and-thin grows NATURALLY!

Man, that's totally awesome.

You, on the other hand, must be a natural-born warrior, right? Sweet! I propose beard-horoscopes for men. Your facial hair reveals your personality!

. . .Just kidding. ;)
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:38 am

Shi Tong wrote:with the exceptions being people like Guan Yu. :D

And Taishi Ci!

It irritates me that people don't read the historical descriptions before drawing portraits.
Lady Wu

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:45 am

But. . I promised to start drawing facial hair! That's why I'm excited about the natural-grown style of the wise-man beard. And the. . . slightly-longer-than-5 o'clock shadow pseudobeard?
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium