Was the War between Cao Cao and Yuan Shao to the death?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Was the War between Cao Cao and Yuan Shao to the death?

Unread postby Lu Kang » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:49 pm

The fighting between Yuan Shao and Cao Cao ended without any one-sided resulted because Yuan Shao died before either side could get conquered.

However, if one of the two sides actaully managed to secure a victory, what would they do with the other officer? Would they allow a surrender? Take them into their service? Execution? Commoner Status? Would they even surrender or would they be too proud and just commit suicide? Is is the same for both men?
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:07 am

Actually, the War went on after Yuan Shao's death since his sons inherited his lands. But I dont think things would have been different under Yuan Shao anyway.

Cao Cao did execute most of Yuan Shao's (or his sons) officers when they refused to surrender to his authority. But, in most cases, they he allowed them to live as soon as they agreed to switch sides. As for Yuan Shao, he would have probably done the same, since he would have needed to expand his officer corp after his conquest of the central plains.
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Hero of Chaos Vs. Esteemed Family Man

Unread postby Yuan Sho » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:55 am

The war of Cao Cao Vs. Yuan Shao was, I believe, to see who would be the one that looks out for the emperor and who is the righteous hero in the eyes of the people in the north lands. Examine their history up to the time they battle and after and then ask yourself this:

1. Who had the better morales or plans for the empire?
2. Who could have saved the people from a life of trouble?
And 3. Who is the better man to save the dynasty?
"I would rather betray the world than let the world betray me." Cao Cao, ruler of Wei Kingdom.
Yuan Sho
Initiate

Unread postby Lu Kang » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:09 am

Yuan Sho, it's not necesarily what they were ultimately fighting for, but what they would have done to the other side in the event that someone is about to win?

I mean they were closer earlier and even their fighting seems to be entirely buisness and not personal. It begs the question whether one or the other would execute the other.
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:15 am

I think the winner would execute the loser...too dangerous to keep around, especially Cao Cao
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:52 am

I'm guessing not so much of a public execution, but one of those "hey wouldn't you like to be governor of X?" deals, where the victim gets ambushed and slain by "bandits" on the road.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Tarrot » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:28 am

I don't know, Cao Cao seemed to be friendly with Yuan Shao. Now, I don't think Yuan Shao would've been allowed to participate in campaigns or be put in a position where he could get considerable power, but I think that if captured, Cao Cao would've left him alive if he surrendered as a token governor. Of course, neither man would probably willingly surrender, which makes that point mute.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:49 am

I think they would accept surrenders but be put in a positions were they sounded important but couldn't do anything. Maybe later got out of the way if they were still a threat but otherwise, I agree with Tarrot
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:49 pm

They couldn't leave the other one alive it was impossible. They were both "traitors" in each other's proclamations and both had too much influence to remain alive. Most likely if one captured the other they would have the other one commit an honorable suicide. There would be no way at least in my mind that one would trust the other to live and not betray them.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tonto_Simfish » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:55 am

A thought: if not to Gongsun Kang - then why not flee to Korea?
Tonto_Simfish
Assistant

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium