What would have happened if Guan Yu stayed with Wei?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What would have happened if Guan Yu stayed with Wei?

Unread postby Mei » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:13 pm

I would like to know peoples thoughts on this.

What do you think would have changed had Guan Yu remained with Wei?

What would have happened to Shu?

What about Jing?

Whose life would have changed dramatically with this difference in history?

I've been having an interesting conversation on another forum about this and would really like to know what others think, please.
Mei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:21 pm

Eh... doesn't this belong in the
"What If" thread?
Well to answer this I would say everyone in this forum "yes Im putting words in their mouth" hates Guan Yu so it won't matter since he s-cked anyways.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Mei » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:35 pm

Shadowlink wrote:Eh... doesn't this belong in the
"What If" thread?
Well to answer this I would say everyone in this forum "yes Im putting words in their mouth" hates Guan Yu so it won't matter since he s-cked anyways.

If it does then I'm sorry. It was a topic I made that was flourishing in another forum.

And, the question wasn't asking people if they liked Guan Yu or not, I was asking for their thoughts on what they believed would have happened.
Mei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:57 pm

What do you think would have changed had Guan Yu remained with Wei? Zhang Liao and Guan Yu would own and get owned by Lu Meng, Gan ning and Lu Xun

What would have happened to Shu?
People say that without Guan Yu Shu would be a much happier place =D

What about Jing?
People say that without Guan Yu in Jingzhou Wu would be friends with Shu

Whose life would have changed dramatically with this difference in history?
Guan Yu destroys Wu and Shu together and his talents should be used all the time.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby FuguNabe » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:34 am

He would probably not be what he's considered today for one. Then again the Guan Yu SGZ bio may be alot more informative too. I'm certain he wouldn't stand out as much amongst the talented generals Wei already has.

If going by the novel Liu Bei may just commit suicide from being too heart broken his sworn brother betrayed him... hahaha. Zhang Fei would probably find a way to kill Guan Yu. :P
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Elitemsh » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:30 pm

For Wei I do not think much would have changed since, as has already been said, Cao Cao had so many capable generals and advisors that the addition of Guan Yu would not have meant that much.

However, for Liu Bei the possible change would be with the Jing situation. Guan Yu was a very capable general and he spent many years in Jing. Over time, Guan Yu built a strong force with the very limited resources that Liu Bei was able to provide him. It says in Guan's SGZ bio that he was able to strengthen his forces considerably by rallying local bandits to fight for his cause. It was with this performance that Guan Yu achieved great fame. It is logical to assume therefore that Guan Yu's performance in Jing was very impressive and unlikely to be matched by other generals in Shu. Hence if Guan Yu had remained with Cao Cao then Liu Bei may have had considerable more problems with holding onto the Jing province for any small amount of time.

Another possible and less likely outcome (again in reference to the Jing province) is that the loss of Guan Yu would have allowed Liu Bei to hold onto Jing for longer. Guan Yu was not very diplomatic in his treatment of Sun Quan and perhaps another general could have delayed Sun Quan's invasion through superior diplomatical skill. Although in my view, this general/advisor would not have been able to strengthen the Jing forces as much as Guan Yu did.

In short I believe if Guan Yu had stayed with Wei then Liu Bei may have suffered in regards to the Jing situation. Cao Cao's situation would not have changed much.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ricky » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:31 pm

Putting it that way he might of fought off his brothers time and time again.Also his battles could have a turning point, Shu could have ploted to kill Guan Yu with Lu Meng Lu Xun so Guan Yu would meet up with the same fate. :?
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:41 pm

Zhou Yu that is funny.
Imagine if he insults Wu from a Wei's position? :lol:
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Ricky » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:46 pm

Shadowlink wrote:Zhou Yu that is funny.
Imagine if he insults Wu from a Wei's position? :lol:

Yeah, guess some fates can ever be changed! :lol: Being on Wei's position and making an insult would be something Guan Yu: Damn Zhang Fei how did you get so smart? My time has come Lord Cao Cao forgive me the new Oath urrgh! :lol:
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:47 pm

It's be funny because if Guan Yu does insult Wu from a Wei's position he had still be on 24 hour alert.

Guan Yu would probably be Zhang Liao lackey though :lol:
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium