Lu Bu or Guan Yu?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Lu Bu or Guan Yu?

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:28 am

Who is more known for their fighting skills?? I mean surely, Lu Bu will probably beat Guan Yu in a duel, but isnt Guan Yu Known more? in fact, isnt Guan Yu considered a War God?
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Lu Bu or Guan Yu?

Unread postby FuguNabe » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:27 am

jebusrocks wrote:Who is more known for their fighting skills?? I mean surely, Lu Bu will probably beat Guan Yu in a duel, but isnt Guan Yu Known more? in fact, isnt Guan Yu considered a War God?

Lu Bu would likely beat Guan Yu otherwise he wouldn't be considered peerless amongs men of those days. His notoriety didn't make him so popular though.

Guan Yu was not deified until Sui dynasty. His taoist war god title I think was a peception taken in and popularised by the west due to him being one of the more well known Chinese general and the various mythic tales that goes with his various ascension given him according to dynasties, buddhist and taoists. I'm unsure there admittingly. I know people in China that worship him more for good trade and loyalty. Police force and even triad worship the bearded fellow.
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby JamesD » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:37 am

I would say Guan Yu since he is widley known in China. Lu Bu i think historically was a better fighter.
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:56 am

Lu Bu is the better fighter while Guan Yu is the better general.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby FuguNabe » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:57 am

Baiko Arashi wrote:Lu Bu is the better fighter while Guan Yu is the better general.

This I agree beside what I said in my previous post.
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:31 am

And another is Zhao Yun, he is more known than Lu Bu..... just proves strength aint cut it
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starshine » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:53 am

The three brothers are all better known than Lu Bu XD Although for fighting skills I think Lu Bu is still the one who comes out on top. I don't think many who worship Yuan Yu statues think of him as a war god, more like good luck god.
Starshine
Initiate

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:58 am

More well known? The obvious answer to that is Guan Yu, since I can go to any chinese relic shop in town and pick up a General Guan statue, and nobody (and the people who own/run these shops are all chinese, from China, trust me I asked) know who Lu Bu is.

However, considering the fact that he dueled Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, and Liu Bei to a draw I think he had to have been a greater fighter. Just think about how much positive light is shed upon the "oath brothers", and how much negative on Lu Bu by Luo Guanzhong... he had to have been bad-ass for him to beat or tie his favored trio...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Starshine wrote:The three brothers are all better known than Lu Bu XD Although for fighting skills I think Lu Bu is still the one who comes out on top. I don't think many who worship Yuan Yu statues think of him as a war god, more like good luck god.
Right. Im just picking Guan Yu because Im bias and I hope Guan Yu can do a Yan liang on him
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Shi Tong » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:34 pm

I think Guan Yu is more famous for his fighting skills regardless of what Lu Bu did in SGYY. That's a bit odd because Lu Bu seemed to beat the three brothers in a duel.

However, seeing as Guan Yu is deified in China and is seen all the time with his Guan Dao- holding this leathal weapon and looking like a fighter would instantly make him more well known as a fighter even though (as FuguNabe said), he's not just a God of War at all!
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium