Guo Jia, what do you think of him?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guo Jia, what do you think of him?

Unread postby James » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:44 pm

Guo Jia (styled Fengxiao), one of Cao Cao's advisors, did not live a very long life. From what I have read though it looked as if he had real potential. What do you think? How would you rate him in comparison to others?

As far as the San Guo Yan Yi goes I would say he had the potential to be one of the best advisors in the land. The advise he offered Cao Cao was exceptional and Cao Cao cared for him very much.

As for those of you that know about the historical Guo Jia, what are your thoughts of him and what leads you to your conclusions? :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Taishi Guang » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:53 pm

I really think that his knowledge and advice were great, but the combined skill of all of Cao Cao's advisors was greater. I don't believe for 1 second that he could've turned the tide of Chibi, even though Cao Cao said so in SGYY.

He was however an important advisor and member of Cao Cao's staff who would've been sorely missed at Chibi, after all the success in the central plains. :cry:
Taishi Guang
Student

Unread postby James » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:56 pm

Taishi Guang wrote:I really think that his knowledge and advice were great, but the combined skill of all of Cao Cao's advisors was greater. I don't believe for 1 second that he could've turned the tide of Chibi, even though Cao Cao said so in SGYY.

He was however an important advisor and member of Cao Cao's staff who would've been sorely missed at Chibi, after all the success in the central plains. :cry:

Although the advise required to turn the tides at Chi Bi would have been easy to deliver, I think it would have been very hard for someone to convince Cao Cao. Chi Bi was a poorly executed attack, in my opinion, and if he had put more time into planning it might have worked out better for him.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby starsea » Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:50 pm

I believed that Cao Cao is a very smart man, and he did not have much respect to his advisors, except Guo Jia and Sima Yi.

I think that's why he regreted the loss of GuoJia after Chibi war because he knew that if a warning coming from Guo Jia, rather than Xu You/Xu Yu, would wake him up.
starsea
Tyro

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:49 pm

SGYY- I thought Guo Jia was extremely talented. He basically knew how to predict the future (Yuan Xi, Yuan Shang) kind of like Zhuge Liang. He had great success helping to form the Wei dynasty but died at only 38. Had he lived longer he could have serioulsly made an impact. He might have been able to give Cao Cao the advice to stop Chi-Bi because Cao Cao trusted him so much. If Cao Cao is stopped from his mad rampage at Chi-Bi then he'll have a lot of troops later on to destroy Shu and Wu.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Guo Jia

Unread postby GuanXing14 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:56 am

I think Guo Jia would have been better then Sima Yi, if he had lived. If he lived longer he probably would have prevented the loss at Red Cliffs. I think the best strategist are as follows.

1. Zhuge Liang
2. Guo Jia
3. Lu Xun
4. Sima Yi
5. Zhou Yu
GuanXing14
Tyro

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:09 am

Guo Jia gave some good advice. But he wasn't the type of guy that could make strategies. He didn't really prove himself to be that great.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mighty Zhang Fei » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:19 am

Guo Jia was the greatest strategist of the Three Kingdoms Era. He was even greater then Zhuge Liang. He is the one who made Cao Cao as famous as he was.
Mighty Zhang Fei
Apprentice

Unread postby Russ » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:29 am

TheGreatNads wrote:Guo Jia gave some good advice. But he wasn't the type of guy that could make strategies. He didn't really prove himself to be that great.

That is very true. Peole say he had potential, and it was a shame he died at such a young age, he could've accomplished a lot. Just cause you have potential, doesnt mean you're destined for greatness. Everyone makes mistakes. Who knows, if he lived longer and screwed up in one battle, people could have remembered him for that. And if he died shortly after that, peoples outlook on him would probably be different. So, I don't know. He could've done great things, or he could've spent the rest of his life screwing up.

I'm not taking credit away from him, this applies to anyone. :D
Russ
Legendary

Unread postby Jon » Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:40 am

i think this is the case for zhou yu, and IMO zhou yu contributed atleast as much to wu as lu xun if not more, but thats just me.
Jon
Ladies' Man

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium