Red Cliff (Film) Discussion Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Red Cliff (Film) Discussion Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:04 pm

ZhouGongjin wrote:The disappearing of Wu-hate really makes me feel better, especially since every RTK adaptation I know makes it seem like the Southland is full of backstabbers or something. Not just being biased because they are my favorite, but it really is annoying to see Zhuge Liang become some kind of "military genius/god", and Zhou Yu become some kind of jealous cripple. That's the point where I start to question the legitimacy of RTK.

Totally. For all my issues with the movie (the Xiao Qiao/Cao Cao plot, the ending, the SSX plot), I liked it because it's like the first thing ever to not elevate Shu at Wu's expense. I didn't like Tony Leung's Zhou Yu but the rest of the Wu cast was great.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby ZhouGongjin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
ZhouGongjin wrote:The disappearing of Wu-hate really makes me feel better, especially since every RTK adaptation I know makes it seem like the Southland is full of backstabbers or something. Not just being biased because they are my favorite, but it really is annoying to see Zhuge Liang become some kind of "military genius/god", and Zhou Yu become some kind of jealous cripple. That's the point where I start to question the legitimacy of RTK.

Totally. For all my issues with the movie (the Xiao Qiao/Cao Cao plot, the ending, the SSX plot), I liked it because it's like the first thing ever to not elevate Shu at Wu's expense. I didn't like Tony Leung's Zhou Yu but the rest of the Wu cast was great.

Yeah, exactly lol. I felt that Tony Leung could have done much better.. I mean it may have been the director's fault, but not sure. Really should be more emotion though, I mean come on it's Zhou Yu lol
ZhouGongjin
Tyro

Unread postby Korin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:43 pm

ZhouGongjin wrote:
Lady Wu wrote:

Yeah, exactly lol. I felt that Tony Leung could have done much better.. I mean it may have been the director's fault, but not sure. Really should be more emotion though, I mean come on it's Zhou Yu lol

how do you feel about the guy who did Three Kingdoms (2010)'s Zhou Yu?
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:36 am

Korin wrote:how do you feel about the guy who did Three Kingdoms (2010)'s Zhou Yu?

I thought he was excellent as Zhou Yu but I have a Gongjin bias..

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:33 am

Korin wrote:how do you feel about the guy who did Three Kingdoms (2010)'s Zhou Yu?

Well I do think that the Zhou Yu in 2010 Three Kingdoms series fit the novel description quite well, I like how Lu Su was portrayed though.

As for Red Cliff the scene where Zhao Yun fought his way out of the army press at Chang Ban is awe inspiring, the thing I was a bit confused both in Red Cliff and ressurection of the dragon is Zhao Yun was supposed to held Liu Chan in front of his chest but both movie shows that Zhao Yun simply carry Liu Chan on his back.

And also the plot done by Xiao Qiao is... how do I say... seemed a bit off.

Btw Takeshi Kaneshiro's Zhuge Liang is nice to watch, how he's serious, playful, and deep insight intrigues me. When asked about his expertise (in medical, weaponry, and troops) He always reply with, "Just a little."
:lol:
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:57 am

Lonely_dragon wrote:As for Red Cliff the scene where Zhao Yun fought his way out of the army press at Chang Ban is awe inspiring

I agree. I actually got my wife to watch that much of the movie because of his dedication to saving Liu Chan.

However, she got turned off during the Zhou Yu-Xiao Qiao sex scene...

Lonely_dragon wrote:Btw Takeshi Kaneshiro's Zhuge Liang is nice to watch, how he's serious, playful, and deep insight intrigues me. When asked about his expertise (in medical, weaponry, and troops) He always reply with, "Just a little."

Indeed. I laughed at most of the moments where you could see that he was being modest to his skills. I even enjoyed his competition with Zhou Yu.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:25 am

Zhuanyong wrote:I agree. I actually got my wife to watch that much of the movie because of his dedication to saving Liu Chan.

However, she got turned off during the Zhou Yu-Xiao Qiao sex scene...

I quickly skipped forward during that scene, and I do feel that it was really unnecessary in the movie. :?

Zhuanyong wrote:Indeed. I laughed at most of the moments where you could see that he was being modest to his skills. I even enjoyed his competition with Zhou Yu.

Don't forget how he put a turtle on the battle map to symbolizes Yin Yang formations and also Zhang Fei throwing the turtle into the water pot.

Zhang Fei earned my most lol moment here, especially when he shouted when Zhou Yu snatched his caligraphy (Zhuge Liang instantly covered his ear when Zhou Yu did so).

What I do feel really lacking is Guan Yu, he isn't tall and his face isn't red. Also his blade is too small imo.
:P

One wonder did came did they have an NG sequence when Guan Yu throws his blade at Cao Cao? If they do I believe the blade would have hit Cao Cao then. Just the image of that would make me laugh.
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm just curious, but why, lonely dragon, do you think the scene with Zhou You and Xiao Qiao in bed was unnecessary?
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby TheMerchant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:00 am

I can see why people are upset with Cao Cao's portrayal, as it seems he literally went to war for a woman. But for some reason, after watching this film for the fourth time, I realized that he didn't just go to war for a woman. He was aiming for conquest. There are a few scenes of him staring at maps, even at the climax when Cao Cao was wondering what went wrong, he wasn't lamenting the betrayal of the woman he lusted after, he was lamenting over all his successes and what he sought to do: destroy all warlords.

That's what I saw his motive as. Xiao Qiao was just the topping on the cake.
TheMerchant
Tyro

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:28 am

Tokugawa Liang wrote:I'm just curious, but why, lonely dragon, do you think the scene with Zhou You and Xiao Qiao in bed was unnecessary?

Sorry for delayed reply, I didn't frequent the scholars like i used too.
:oops:

Well, I think it is unnecessary as it didn't have any importance whatsoever to the battle. I mean the focus of the film is the battle so why add some scene in bed?
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium