Red Cliff (Film) Discussion Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Red Cliff (Film) Discussion Thread

Unread postby Baozi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:22 am

Cao Chao wrote:As we have seen, good reviews =/= the masses liking it.

What's your point? That statement is completely moot. If you don't like a film for whatever reason(s), fine, but don't assert your opinion as non-subjective and argue popularity in an attempt to reinforce your own opinion. And stop speaking for other people.

YOU: Appeased no one, no one is entirely happy with.
HIM: Very subjective, plenty of people were clearly happy with it.
YOU: Western audience doesn't matter, many non-western audience = dissapointed.
HIM: Well received in Asia (non-western audience).
YOU: Doesn't matter, good reviews =/= the masses liking it.

It just seemed like you were straight up trolling.

EDIT - Necro reply, I know and don't care.
Baozi
Tyro

Unread postby Aygor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 am

I liked the movie, it's unfortunately different from the novel, as Troy from Iliad for example, but it's a nice movie to watch nonetheless.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Just seen the western version. Thought it started well, ended in a ridiculous manner, in-between was alright. Battles scenes became boring which was a major problem but I did like they way they tried to freshen the battles up really on with some fun ideas. The treatment of Cao Cao was a disappointment, he goes from wily and overly ambitious dude to kicking puppies as a lonely old man. Less on the moral platform, more battle of wits would have helped. On the other hand, I loved the Zhou Yu, Zhuge Liang relationship. Bar the music scene (where they should have given Zhou Yu the mastery), thought it was decently balanced with Zhou Yu the genius giving a good match for the slightly superior super-genius, any rivalry being very friendly.

The social scenes were a bit hit and miss, some worked quite well while some were rather meh. I liked what they tried to do with Xiao Qiao, till near the end where it joined in the realm of the ridiculous, problem is it didn't really work. There didn't seem much chemistry between her and Zhou Yu, I never cared for them as a couple and didn't particularly care about her as an individual. Like SSX, at least they got a rare humor scene out of her character. As for SSX, was disappointed they didn't build anything with Liu Bei and they could have made clearer that she was the spy early on, at least she got the humor scene and one good battle scene.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm

@DZ - You'll probably want to try the full international release version. Based on what I read here and in the 'Watched any good movies...' thread, it seems that some of the things you state are lacking are actually there. Or at least, it is insinuated that those things are there and you figure it out based on the next scene. From what I've heard about the difference between both releases, parts of the movie that are bridged become ambiguous.

I agree that they could have done some more in regards to the Liu Bei-SSX relationship, but they probably didn't want to have too much post-Chi Bi stuff going on. Especially since they may have also opted to not have Zhou Yu and ZGL seem as friendly towards one another to give us a precursor to Nanjun.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 am

Probably the best scene missed in the international version is a scene with Cao Cao visiting sick soldiers which really solves a lot of his character problems. But I agree, having him invade due to Xiao Qiao is a stupid idea which took this movie into the realm of silly popcorn flick.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:08 am

I did like that the film didn't seem to have a bias against Zhou Yu. While it did take away something from the rivalry the Wu and Shu cast were done quite well.

Cao Cao was okay to start but then he became a regular villain by the end.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Crazedmongoose wrote:But I agree, having him invade due to Xiao Qiao is a stupid idea which took this movie into the realm of silly popcorn flick.

Cao Cao went from being a calculating anti-hero to an egomaniacal old pervert who had his gray hairs plucked for vanity and got his visual jollies off on a Xiao Qiao picture he painted himself. He was so pathetic to the point where Zhou Yu pitied him in the end and let him go. Another thing I had an issue with.

Shen Ai wrote:I did like that the film didn't seem to have a bias against Zhou Yu.

The movie had Zhou Yu seem like he was trying too hard to be serious at times. Almost to the point where he seemed uncertain of his own feelings a few times. Takeshi Kaneshiro's expertly manipulative genius portrayal was more believable.

I do agree that I enjoyed the fact that Zhou Yu at least seemed almost equal to ZGL. I mean he couldn't birth horses or measure the winds but.....

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 pm

The movie was very good, good cast and they handled the story well in consideration with their sources (wondering of they were the novel or history or a mix); the music by Taro Iwashiro is brilliant, moving and simple at the same time. What's more, they chose the scenery well, to represent the beauties of china.

I'm a bit disappointed of Zhuge Liang's role throughout the film, as I feel he is given quite a minor role, as Zhou Yu is more of a mastermind. Which makes me think that history was their source, but then that cloud scene...
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Korin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:23 am

It's confusing seeing this Zhuge Liang and THREE KINGDOMS 2010 ZHUGE LIANG. -_- - anyways meng meng was probably a major character obviously. :P
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ZhouGongjin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:22 am

Fengyi Zhang from this movie has to be my favorite Cao Cao of all time, next to Jianbin Chen (The guy who played him in the 2010 TV Show adaptation). Zhang just played him exactly how I'd picture him, while in comparison to Chen, who gave Cao Cao a more human and non-villainous approach to Cao Cao. I really refuse to view Cao Cao as a villain though, just a flawed but excellent leader. Zhang's performance is in my opinion, the best in the entire movie.

The disappearing of Wu-hate really makes me feel better, especially since every RTK adaptation I know makes it seem like the Southland is full of backstabbers or something. Not just being biased because they are my favorite, but it really is annoying to see Zhuge Liang become some kind of "military genius/god", and Zhou Yu become some kind of jealous cripple. That's the point where I start to question the legitimacy of RTK.

Tony Leung did well, but I felt like he was a bit unemotional during the entire movie and seemed bored lol. The guy who played Gan Ning did well, and him and Lu Su were great comic reliefs. I liked this movie a lot, probably my favorite RTK movie of all time.
ZhouGongjin
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium