Red Cliff (Film) Discussion Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Red Cliff (Film) Discussion Thread

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Watched part 1 today.

I really enjoyed it.

The fight scene with the formation was a little bit ridiculous I thought and some of the moves felt like they'd been pulled straight out of the DW games! :lol: I loved that Gan (N)Xing was armed with a falchion, is that something that is attached to his legend apart from DW? As a character he always looks so grumpy though! Zhang Fei to be honest just felt like comic relief.

I enjoyed Lady Sun's presentation, I felt like it captured what we think we know of her personality even if it wasn't entirely (/at all) historically accurate! :lol:

I particularly enjoyed the relationship between Zhou Yu's relationships; first with Xiao Qiao and also with Zhuge Liang. ZGL comes across as a lot less of a jerk than in the novel.

Looking forward part 2 tomorrow!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri May 11, 2018 7:16 am

I just finished this entire film today, and despite my reservations before watching it I ended up truly enjoying it. Tony Leung, who also played Broken Sword in Hero, stole the show for me as Zhou Yu. I was truly fearful this would be another "Zhuge Liang is so perfect and flawless" adaptation of the Three Kingdoms, but Wu really seemed to get the attention they rightly deserved and that was truly wonderful. As like all John Woo movies the cinematography was top notch. Beautiful film. The score was excellent. My only complaint was that there was too much involvement by Liu Bei in his crew, but that's the historical stickler in me.

All in all, despite it's ridiculous length, I truly enjoyed it a lot.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 am

It's not a movie you watch for historical accuracy but for fan service it does a better job of promoting Zhou Yu and the Wu faction than the novel!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri May 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Yeah, I agree with you DaoLunOfShiji and Sun Fin.

The attention and fair treatment that Wu gets is a big reason I like Red Cliff. It was also cool seeing SSX have a role in the war, even if historically unlikely. And I found that Zhuge Liang was played very well — he was there to help others think rationally, not just do all the thinking for them. (Like a therapist. :lol: )

I have not seen the American cut but I do wonder if the Wu was represented as well there.
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 pm

I've also only seen the full version so can't confirm if the shorter cut gives Wu fair screen time!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium