Ma Chao and Zhao Yun

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Ma Chao and Zhao Yun

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:12 am

I was playin ROTK to see the default General Status to see that Ma Chao was a higher echoleon than Zhao Yun?? first of all is this true?? If it was, then a general who has been serving Liu Bei and saved the second emperor (which is the emperor that is currently in control) from death has a lower status than a general who just joined Liu Shan??
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:14 am

What do you mean by higher echelon, and what RTK game are you playing? Sometimes stuff in these games is based on things like stats / deeds accumulated through gameplay, so things like ranks can get pretty mixed up.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Jimayo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:16 am

It's true.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Jimayo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:29 am

Kong Wen wrote:What do you mean by higher echelon, and what RTK game are you playing? Sometimes stuff in these games is based on things like stats / deeds accumulated through gameplay, so things like ranks can get pretty mixed up.

He's talking about ranks Kong Wen. Ma Chao held a much higher rank than Zhao Yun did.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:33 am

Kong Wen wrote:What do you mean by higher echelon, and what RTK game are you playing? Sometimes stuff in these games is based on things like stats / deeds accumulated through gameplay, so things like ranks can get pretty mixed up.

I mean ranks (General of the Flying Calvalry etc)
ROTK 11 is wat im playin
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:20 am

jebusrocks wrote:

I mean ranks (General of the Flying Calvalry etc)
ROTK 11 is wat im playin

It's true. Zhao Yun was the lowest ranked of the "5 tiger generals".
Jimayo

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:56 pm

but in rtk X he was the 3rd one and ma chao was the 4th
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Long » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:01 pm

5 Tigers:

First: Guan Yu
Second: Zhang Fei
Third: Ma Chao
Fourth: Zhao Yun
Fifth: Huang Zhong

Ma Chao was considered a higher rank for several reasons.
First was that Ma Chao came from an already established family, thus it was only proper for him being of noble birth, to have a higher rank. Secondly, I think I read somewhere that Liu Bei gave him accolades to honor his father whom Liu was allied with. Thirdly was that Liu Bei greatly admired Ma Chao, and was willing to do what it took to get him to serve. Ma Chao also had ties with the Qiangs which could've weighed
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"Censorship is a tool for the closed-minded and insecure."
Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Ma Chao also had quite a bit of military service (with his father and elsewhere) before he joined Liu Bei, whereas Zhao Yun hadn't served as much as a front-ranks general.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Niahak » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:20 pm

Wasn't there also the fact that while Zhao Yun saved Liu Shan's life, he also brought about (inadvertently) the death of Lady Mi, Liu Bei's wife?

I recall a note from Moss Roberts to the effect that he wasn't allowed in the Liu shrine, unlike the other generals.
Niahak
Scholar

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium