Was Cao Cao right to suspect Hua Tuo?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Was Cao Cao right to suspect Hua Tuo?

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:05 pm

Was Cao Cao right so suspect Hua To in a plot to kill him when the doctor went to visit him? One doctor already tried to poison Cao. So was his suspiciousness justified?Also, is the killing of him justified

I believe it was, but it just came back to bite him in the ass. The killing was not, Cao Cao should of at least had him searched or consulted before condeming him to death.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:36 pm

SGZ wrote:Hua Tuo was indeed highly skilled in his medicinal practice, but he was originally a scholar. Although he was skilled at healing people, he often regretted he was looked upon as a doctor by profession. Later on, when [Cao Cao] had taken personal control [of the affairs of the state], his illness became more severe and intensified. So he had Hua Tuo attend to him exclusively. “This condition is hard to heal in the short term, it requires a long term treatment to heal,” replied Hua Tuo. Hua Tuo was away from home for a long time and desired to return home. Telling Cao Cao, “I have received a letter from home, I wish to return temporarily.” Upon returning home, Hua Tuo delayed his return based on his wife’s sickness. Several extensions were added to his leave yet he did not return. [Cao Cao] wrote letters calling for his return. He even dispatched an imperial decree to the local authorities to send Hua Tuo back. Hua Tuo found it distasteful waiting on others for a living, he was proud of his abilities. So he delayed his departure back to Cao Cao. [Cao Cao] in his anger dispatched men to investigate.

If indeed his wife was ill, he would bestowed upon them forty bushels of ‘xiao dou’ and be lenient on his return date. If it was false excuse in delaying return, then Hua Tuo was to be apprehended and brought back. Hua Tuo was then thrown in prison, confessing his fault. Xun Yu (one of Cao Cao’s advisors) petitioned on Hua Tuo’s behalf saying to Cao Cao: “His skills are truly effective, many lives depend on him. Spare him on this account.” [Cao Cao] answered back, “Don’t worry, you think there are no other rats like him All under Heaven?” Hua Tuo was then sentenced to death. Upon his execution, he presented a scroll to the jailer. “This can save lives,” said Hua Tuo. The jailer fearful of the law didn’t accept the scroll. Nor did Hua Tuo force it upon him. Instead he inquired for a fire to burn the scroll.

Cao Cao’s beloved son, Cang ShuG died of illness. [Cao Cao] in anguished cried out: “I regret putting Hua Tuo to death. In doing so I have condemned my son to death!”

I'm not sure what you are talking about, unless you are speaking of SGYY. In which the treatment was to cut open his head to remove the tumor. In history it was nothing of the kind, this is just another example of Cao Cao's immature attitude, spoiled brat so to say. What he does result's in Karmic retribution on his son's death.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:50 pm

SGZ, Huo Tao lied to him and broke the law, how is applying the law immature?

SGYY, would you belive someone who wanted to cut open your head back then? It isn't suprising Cao Cao doesn't react too kindly to that espically after Ji Ping
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:07 pm

He only broke the law because Cao Cao made an Imperial Decree trying to force him to return. If it weren't for Cao Cao's incessant calling, and once again using the emperor to call forth Hua Tuo. Yet whatever the case did Hua Tuo deserve death? I believe he did not, Xun Yu was correct, he should have been punished, but this was a man whom genuinely helped everyone, killing him would mar Cao Cao's reputation as well. I suppose I am just a little passionate about the Hua Tuo case, as in fact he may have been a true immortal, as he was 97 when he died to execution. His SGZ also said that he looked to still be in his 40's or 50's. Aside from thatI can't say much in his defense, it was his pride that lead to his death.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shield » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:SGZ, Huo Tao lied to him and broke the law, how is applying the law immature?

SGYY, would you belive someone who wanted to cut open your head back then? It isn't suprising Cao Cao doesn't react too kindly to that espically after Ji Ping

Not sure but what law did he broke?
Shield
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 pm

I don't think he should have been killed but as you said, he should be punished

Ignoring orders Shield
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shield » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I don't think he should have been killed but as you said, he should be punished

Ignoring orders Shield

I don't think you can consider following order as a law, a military/government rule perhaps but not a law. A law is something that written out and apply to everyone. You kill or steal, that's breaking the law and you will be punished. You don't come back and treat your Prime Minister? That's not breaking the law. If Cao Cao wants to punish Hua Tua for that, he still would have to frame Hua Tuo with something else instead.
Shield
Assistant

Unread postby JamesD » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:41 am

You can't really go wrong since Cao Cao was pretty much the law around there at that time.
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:55 pm

Hua Tuo should have hauled his ass back to the capital asap.
The integrity of the entire north depended on Cao Cao.

The fact that he wanted to stay away because he was whiny that everyone considered him a doctor is rather petty when the well being of millions depends on him using his gift of medicine.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:02 pm

In SGYY, Cao Cao probably right to suspect Hua Tao wanted to kill him. This guy survived the most assassination attempts on his life and knew lots of people wanted him dead for the way he was treating the emperor. Anyway in Cao Cao's position would have paranoid that people around out wanted his head on a pole.

SGZ on the other hand just sounds like Cao Cao having a major power trip. He seemed to have a lot of those later in his life...
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium