Zhuge Liang's Han Xin

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang's Han Xin

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:40 pm

IMO Zhuge Liang is equivalent to both Xiao He and Zhang Liang, but was no Han Xin, and shouldn't of tried.

Who could of been Zhuge Liang's Han Xin?

Possibilities:

Wang Ping, Zhang Yi, Li Yan, Xiang Chong, perhaps, Wei Yan.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Gabriel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:21 pm

Pang Tong, if he had lived of course. Out of people still around, Zhao Yun. He had the experience and respect. He possessed leadership and with the help of advisors he may have done an ok job. He'd only be able to lead one campaign, but that's all they should need.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:20 pm

Liang Shuo wrote:Pang Tong, if he had lived of course. Out of people still around, Zhao Yun. He had the experience and respect. He possessed leadership and with the help of advisors he may have done an ok job. He'd only be able to lead one campaign, but that's all they should need.

I dunno. Zhao Yun didn't show he had any tactical ability.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:32 pm

Wang Ping or Wei Yan.
Although tbh I don't think either really deserve to be called "his Han Xin". While Zhuge has legit comparative qualities to Xiao He and even Zhang Liang I don't think anyone from his northern campaign period really was good or potentially good enough to be a Han Xin.

I'd say Guan Yu or Zhang Fei would have been serious candidates but they were long dead by the time Zhuge began taking the helm of military ops.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Jimayo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:43 am

Exar Kun wrote:Wang Ping or Wei Yan.
Although tbh I don't think either really deserve to be called "his Han Xin". While Zhuge has legit comparative qualities to Xiao He and even Zhang Liang I don't think anyone from his northern campaign period really was good or potentially good enough to be a Han Xin.

I'd say Guan Yu or Zhang Fei would have been serious candidates but they were long dead by the time Zhuge began taking the helm of military ops.

That's why I'd posit perhaps Li Yan or Xiang Chong. Highly praised by Liu Bei but not used by Zhuge Liang, and we know who's a better judge of talent between those two, so maybe they had the ability and never had a chance to show it.
Jimayo

Unread postby damon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:47 am

I am going to name a few underdogs that might raise a few eyebrows but I am re-reading TK and so I am thinking about the parts I am coming across. As there seems to be no bio for Wang Fu or Zhao Lei, I am just going to have to recite from the book that they insisted Guan Yu retreat instead of holing up at Mai in Jingzhou as Wu advanced. They seemed adept commanders when fighting against Wu in the sense that they foresaw disaster as well as managed to even survive.

Zhang Ni has seen quite a bit of combat with great successes and few losses between the southern expidition into Nanman and the Northern Campaigns against Wei. He seems adept as a general but with little guile, I would say he is a great general as long as he followed Zhuge Liang's orders.

A lot of suggestions here will be officers who weren't so big in the novel as, obviously, Zhuge Liang had no Han Xin.
damon
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 am

Zhang Yi, Wang Ping or my outside choice, Peng Yang, considered as good as Pang Tong/Fa Zheng so Zhuge Liang got him killed. Brilliant :wink:
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:00 am

Did Peng Yang exist historically? And Fa Zheng's overrated, so saying Peng's as good as him isn't saying much.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:22 am

Liang Shuo wrote:Did Peng Yang exist historically? And Fa Zheng's overrated, so saying Peng's as good as him isn't saying much.

And Pang Tong's rep is justified how?
Jimayo

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:27 am

The invasion of Yizhou. It was all him (for the most part) up until he died, and even if you don't want to give him as much credit as he deserves he still did more then Fa Zheng.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium