Ma Yunlu (Ma Chao’s sister; Zhao Yun’s wife)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Ma Yunlu (Ma Chao’s sister; Zhao Yun’s wife)

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:15 am

I was playing ROTK 11 in 240 (something like that), when i went to the officers list by war; and found Ma Yun Li on the list!!! is this just Koei's doing, or was she still living without Ma Chao living or somethin?? Although i doubt on Koei's reality towards Ma Yun Li ever since that one game (the game where its kinda like Diablo, and you control Zhao Yun), but was Zhao Yun really married to Ma Yun Li??

Edit (James): title edited for clarity.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:29 am

Ma Yun Lu (which is how it appears in KMA) is just a fictional reference to Zhao Yun's wife. Ma Chao and Zhao Yun are brother in law though.
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:58 am

Pi Ka Chu wrote:Ma Yun Lu (which is how it appears in KMA) is just a fictional reference to Zhao Yun's wife. Ma Chao and Zhao Yun are brother in law though.
how?
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:06 am

Like I said it is a reference. Zhao Yun did marry one of Ma Chao's sis. I don't know anything more than that though. :?
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:15 pm

in rtk x do they have a ma yun lu?
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Shadowlink wrote:I think they were allies before they attack liu bei but whatever. They cant share for that is that. Who was Ma Yun Lu? Is zhao yun ma chao brother in law? did he marry ma chao sister in real life? can I see her biography?

As far as I can tell she is a fictional character in every regard aside from Zhao Yun having had a wife. This includes the name, which does not seem to appear in historic reference or in the novel. She appears to be a creation of Koei along the same vein as Lü Lingqi (Lü Bu had a daughter, but her name isn’t recorded as Lü Lingqi, nor is there a basis for this character’s personality).

Encyclopedia Entry for Ma Yunlu

Ma Yunli appears to be a mistranslation (of the characters Koei uses for her name).
I don’t recall seeing her in Koei’s games as Ma Yunli. 騄 = lu4.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:43 pm

Do you see her in rtk x "Home" as a wife of zhao yun? or is she a playable officer? I saw mistress fan for zhao yun wife
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Shadowlink wrote:Do you see her in rtk x "Home" as a wife of zhao yun? or is she a playable officer? I saw mistress fan for zhao yun wife

I think her first appearance might be in <i>Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI</i>. Though I suppose it is possible she may have appeared in another Koei game prior to this—they usually don’t introduce these characters first into the Three Kingdoms series.

Edit: If someone wants to translate the biography Koei gave here, here it is:
http://kongming.net/11/i/p/?p=397-Ma-Yunlu
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Niahak » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:23 pm

Here's a brief translation of the first part. Place names needed, will post the characters later tonight.

A fictional character. Ma Teng's daughter. Younger sister of Ma Chao, Ma Xie, and Ma Tie. Along with beauty like that of a heavenly maiden, she also excelled in valor.
After Ma Teng, Ma Xie, and Ma Tie were killed by Cao Cao's plot, she followed Ma Chao in his battles for vengeance. After their defeat, she went with Ma Chao and Ma Dai to serve Liu Bei. She met Zhao Yun in the invasion of 益州 and married him. She then led in the battles of 荊州 alongside him.

Novel-wise: No record.
Historically: No record. Ma Teng's family perished after Ma Chao's rebellion in 211 A.D. In 222 A.D., when Ma Teng died, his only recorded living relative was his cousin Ma Dai.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:18 am

Niahak wrote:Here's a brief translation of the first part. Place names needed, will post the characters later tonight. […]

益州 = Yizhou
荊州 = Jingzhou

Ah, thank you, as always, Niahak! :)
While you’re at it, would you mind one more translation?

Lü Lingqi, Koei’s other fictional gal.
http://kongming.net/11/i/p/?p=484-Lu-Lingqi
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium