Cao Cao (wonderful lord or dreadful monster)? [historical]

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am

PrimeMinister Bu Zhi wrote:They were not 1.3 million soldeirs. It was a population total of 1.3. million(civilians counted) which were previously under YT control.

Also, Ling Tong managed to get 10,000 Shanyue to join his army.

Completely different situations.There were 300k YT rebels and Cao Cao would have had next to nothing at the time.The fact that that many people would surrender to one man is most impressive.
On the other hand,Ling Tong DID have the backing of the entire Wu state with him.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Iain » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:35 am

Historically Cao Cao was a very pragmatic leader who re-established government in the heart-land of China, and attempted to create order out of the surrounding chaos out there.

Cao Cao showed ability and imagination that raised his status, and despite suffering several defeats, he showed a fine ability to keep the loyalty of both officers and men under his command.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby didier » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:56 am

I agree with all that X-Zhou Yu said about CC.

But as I think about this topic I recall reading this from the Online Version of Romance of Three Kingdoms. It is from the part just after CC dies. I have read it a few times now and I always agree with this simple opinion:

» _Kevin -- Cao Cao -- Cao Cao has been portrayed as an evil character because usually in a novel, you need a good guy and a bad guy. Liu Bei is of course the good guy and Cao Cao is the bad guy in this case. But in reality, that was not the case. Cao Cao was one of the smartest humans ever to be born in China---not smart like Zhuge Liang, but in a different way. Cao Cao was amazing in everything. No wonder he controlled the biggest area. No wonder he had so many followers. Yes, he seems to be very cold hearted at times, but if you meet any successful people, they know when to separate their business from peronal matters. Remember, this is only a novel even though it is very based on the real story, but do not forget that there are lots of embellishments.
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Unread postby Xiahou Mengde88 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:04 pm

Sorry, my mistake about the 1.3 million troops thing, PrimeMinister Bu Zhi.

Although, you were wrong on the Ling Tong thing, as was already explained.

By, the way, Didier, I thought about putting that down comment from threekingdoms.com down, too.
Charlie Murphy: "Prince, you got any towels; It's hot out here!"
Dave Chappelle (as Prince): "Well, why don't you purify yourself in the waters..of Lake Minitanka?"
Xiahou Mengde88
Master

Unread postby caocao » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 am

Well, I beleive Cao Cao was an amazing figure. He stood alone to stop the chaos and, from what I have read in the novel, wanted the emperor once again ruler until he owned the central plains. He never made exceptions to his rules and was quite a motivational speaker. His armies, under his command, never had second losses-He was a great man.

AND, if he was such a villain, why did people willingly betray their lords and join Cao Cao, why did they come from far and wide to aid him? They could have gone to Yuan Shao, but instead came to him. He was a hero and a great man, not a villan and a devil.
"Fall To My Blade, You Pitiful Vermin!"
caocao
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium