Cao Cao (wonderful lord or dreadful monster)? [historical]

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Cao Cao (wonderful lord or dreadful monster)? [historical]

Unread postby James » Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:48 am

Over my whole entire Three Kingdoms experience I have met many people that believe the historical Cao Cao was a great leader, generally kind to his people and China, and a great model ruler of history. There are others that feel he was a monster, comparable to Dong Zhuo and not worthy of honor.

I would like to hear your thoughts on Cao Mengde. Do you think he as a man-eating tiger, or a pristine lord? Please give specific examples for your thoughts and state the sources, as I would like this thread to be educational. There is the Tao Qian issue, and I am certain we will discuss that as well. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Starscream » Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:21 am

He was an effective ruler but his rules were harsh. I heard about his mandatory agricultural policies to prevent famine was really harsh and people were forced to go to the fields and before that, the northerners were perhaps cattle-farmers, hunters, etc. But well, after this was implemented, the north really did not get that much famine I suppose...

Cao Cao ruled with an iron fist. He's definitely no angel, but just a dictator. His contributions were stability to the lands and the fluorishing of poetry and fine arts, which was made possible with peace.

Xu Zhou again???? no thanks...I've enough of it. :P
Okay, just one statement before anyone start to defame Cao Cao: He did not kill as many as what LGZ proclaimed him to do, nor did he massacre the whole city. He just finished off the Tao troops. Mebbe Great Deer would love to handle this topic... :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Hotsuma Moritsune » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:57 pm

I say he's not given enough credit, he was kind enough and just, just with alot of faults and harshness. He was no Liu Bei(My fav ruler), he was respected because of his decisions, they were for the benefit of both him and his people.
Hotsuma Moritsune
Changshi

Unread postby Sen » Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:03 pm

Well...my views on this is that Cao Mengde gets a rather bad rap in the RtKs because of some of the actions and measures he took to try to spread his empire. Cao Cao is not reallu viscous in sense, yet he is no saint. I know that much. But to me, Cao Mengde is inbetween that whole "good and evil" sort of sense. He is surely by far not the evilest ruler in the whole novel. That is taken by Dong Zhuo
"I may not be able to defeat you among swords, but I shall conquer you with my words."

"It is hard to be an individualist among a world filled with uniformed droids." ---*Lady Vachella*
Sen
Apprentice

Unread postby Dennis » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:09 am

Cao Cao is like... god or something.

Sure he is not the nicest guy in the world, his tactics and rules are brutal at best. Still, a leader does not need to be benevolent, it's like todays politics: are people going to vote for someone who believes in family values like Liu Bei? No, they will vote for someone who can bring stability fast, 'cause growth in the economic sector, make a good policing force, while lowering taxes, helping the economy grow and using his officers/cabinet member, to their fullest extent. We in the new millenium would be lucky to see a ruler half as good as Cao Cao rule. He was IMO the most effective man of his era.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Re: Cao Cao (wonderful lord or dreadful monster)? [historica

Unread postby Chen Kun » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:32 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:Over my whole entire Three Kingdoms experience I have met many people that believe the historical Cao Cao was a great leader, generally kind to his people and China, and a great model ruler of history. There are others that feel he was a monster, comparable to Dong Zhuo and not worthy of honor.

I would like to hear your thoughts on Cao Mengde. Do you think he as a man-eating tiger, or a pristine lord? Please give specific examples for your thoughts and state the sources, as I would like this thread to be educational. There is the Tao Qian issue, and I am certain we will discuss that as well. :)

I would say that he was a wonderful monster :twisted:
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sen » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:38 am

Exactly. Cao Cao did what he had to do in order to prevail. I don't think he is a monster for doing some of those horrible things for all people commit sins that can be forgiven for the greater good that can be caused by them.
Cao Mengde was a very great and inspirational man. No one can deny him that much.
"I may not be able to defeat you among swords, but I shall conquer you with my words."

"It is hard to be an individualist among a world filled with uniformed droids." ---*Lady Vachella*
Sen
Apprentice

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:23 am

Cai Yan wrote:Mebbe Great Deer would love to handle this topic... :lol:

I don't think I've much to say at the moment. :roll: Here're two interesting writeups done by others on Cao Cao.

http://www.anu.edu.au/asianstudies/textnotes/morrison51.html

http://www.mystique-graphics.com/china/sanguo/caocao.html
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Zhang Ren » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:04 am

Generally, Cao Cao was an exceptional leader but he also a monsters. The massacre in XuZhou got nothing to do with his father nor to force a quick surrender of Tao Qian. From IMO, it just Cao Cao allowing his soldiers to kill 100,000 civilians just for fun.
Zhang Ren
Student

Unread postby Mu Shu » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:03 am

"Ning jiao wo fu tian sha ren, --- jou tian sha ren fu wo"
"Rather I betray the world, than let the world betray me."
- Cao Cao

Cao Cao was the opposite of Liu Bei. Liu Bei believed in morality and loyalty. He was loyal to his benefactors and brothers. On the other hand, Cao Cao believed that the "ends justify the means". He was smart enough to eventually realize that he had to treat people fairly in order to get their support and loyalty. But he never trusted people the way Liu Bei did. Ironically, one of the reasons he died was he was suspicious that his doctor was trying to murder him...
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium