Who can beat Lu Bu?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who can beat Lu Bu?

Unread postby Seraph » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:27 am

During the Three Kingdoms era was there anyone who could beat Lu Bu in a duel? Even people after Lu Bu's death. If not, what about the entire history of Imperial China and who would be the next best?

Also, how good was Lu Bu historically? Was he still the best fighter?
Seraph
Tyro

Re: Who can beat Lu Bu?

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:39 am

Seraph wrote:During the Three Kingdoms era was there anyone who could beat Lu Bu in a duel? Even people after Lu Bu's death. If not, what about the entire history of Imperial China and who would be the next best?

Also, how good was Lu Bu historically? Was he still the best fighter?

Someone on Koei Forums quoted a source which stated that Lu Bu once dueled with Guo Si when Lu Bu was fighting against Guo Si/Li Jue. If I remember correctly, Sun Gongli of this forum was in on the discussion on that, so maybe he can back me up on this one. Lu Bu bested Guo Si in combat, but did not land the finishing blow on Guo Si because several of Guo Si's riders came up and rescued their lord.

Other than that, there's not much historical information about Lu Bu's hand-to-hand combat related feats, nor is there much information about most of the three kingdom characters' hand-to-hand combat feats. The few other duels that are recorded from the era were between Sun Ce and Taishi Ci, Guan Yu and Yan Liang and maybe some other group of famous fighters who I'm forgetting...
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Seraph » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:51 am

In the novel, was anyone tougher?
Seraph
Tyro

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:24 am

Seraph wrote:In the novel, was anyone tougher?

A lot of people like to argue about who could have beaten Lü Bu and who might have been stronger than him, etc.

Given his record in the novel, I think we can safely surmise that no one could have beaten him in his prime, but that there were several fighters who would have been about on par with his ability. He fights to a draw with Zhang Fei twice, and he fights to a draw with Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, and Liu Bei at the same time (this last multi-person duel is one of the reasons people think Zhang Fei or Guan Yu on their own couldn't beat him).

He also duelled Xu Chu to a draw. Xu Chu fought to draws against Dian Wei, Xu Huang, and Zhao Yun. There are a number of other duels between these guys and other famous generals, too, but most of the evidence seems to suggest that Lü Bu could beat them or at least draw with them.

So in terms of pure fighting ability, it's doubtful that anyone else, even from after Lü Bu's death, would have been able to eclipse him.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby hconew » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:34 am

In my opinion, no-one at that time could've defeated and killed him.

I think that many great, allied generals fighting him together would do the job, similar to Kong Wen's opinion. Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei defeated him.

But after all, it says in the novel,
"As fierce as tigers soldiers be,
Battles are won by strategy"
:arrow: I like that one. :wink:
hconew
Assistant

Unread postby Seraph » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:39 am

How about in the entire history of China before guns? Was there a warrior who had a reputation like Lu Bu and could beat him?
Seraph
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:56 am

Xiang Yu comes to mind, though Xiang Yu was more feared for his military prowess as well, something that Lu Bu was only competent in.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Rastafarian » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:23 pm

no one can beat lu bu in one in one duel , zhang fei should be dead if his brothers valued about honor of one-in-one duel ..
Rastafarian
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:53 pm

Which is more honoruble Rastafarian? Letting your brother die and the alliance fail or helping your brother win and so defeat the greatest tratior to the Han since Wang Mang?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Rastafarian wrote:no one can beat lu bu in one in one duel , zhang fei should be dead if his brothers valued about honor of one-in-one duel ..
Lu Bu Master can beat lu bu in a 1 on 1 duel. I remember reading a folktale about his master. I wonder if he had any...
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium