Zhuge Liang’s greatest fault?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang’s greatest fault?

Unread postby lord darwin of sibarani » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:37 am

hi,what`s up do you know about Zhuge liang fault ? i only know one .It is about Ma su .In Liu bei deathbed liu bei advice zhuge liang not give ma su a big responbilities but zhuge liang ignores about this at battle of jie ting ( or whatever ) he given a big responbilities to keep wei advance and he failed, caused a huge defeat .he eventually execute Ma su.Anyone find another ZL fault

Mod edit (James): title clarification.
'A poor man is thrifty without be taught; a lowly man is respectful without being taught
lord darwin of sibarani
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:00 am

His failure to take Cheng Cang? His slandering of Peng Yang? His awful advice regarding attack Liu Zong and don't attack Wu?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:11 am

I think that after Jieting Zhuge Liang had some sort of major awakening. He suddenly became aware that he needed to shape up and start kicking ass, or perhaps he now felt a greater sense of duty? REgardless, after Jieting Zhuge Liang starts looking a lot better in my mind.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhilong » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:19 pm

His use of Ma Su is not wrong because Liu Bei said do not give him big responsibilities. Liu Bei is not always right and made many mistakes in his life. It was wrong of ZL to do so because it was a rather big appointment. ZL's judgement over personnel was often right but this time it was not and he had himself demoted.
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:56 am

Zhuge Liang had many faults, like many other people- his main fault is that he didn't manage to invade Wei and destroy it.

I know this is stating the obvious, but that was his remit and he failed, not only that but I think that the invasion of Wei from Shu was possible and if he'd been a little "better" than he was he could have got his job done.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:52 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:His failure to take Cheng Cang? His slandering of Peng Yang? His awful advice regarding attack Liu Zong and don't attack Wu?
who was pang yeng? when did he say attack liu zong?
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:26 pm

Peng Yang was an officer of Shu who while arrogant, was said to be brilliant which meant he was treated well by Pang Tong and Fa Zheng but Zhuge Liang told Liu Bei that Peng Yang was a threat and had ambitions.

Liu Bei's SGZ
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby jiang cheng » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:21 pm

His greatest mistake is to allow Guan Yu to be in Jing Zhou he should have put someone more patient at there like Zilong
jiang cheng
Scholar

Unread postby Elitemsh » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:06 pm

jiang cheng wrote:His greatest mistake is to allow Guan Yu to be in Jing Zhou he should have put someone more patient at there like Zilong

Placing Guan Yu in Jing was Liu Bei's decision not Kongming's. I would have to agree with some of the others that placing Ma Su in charge at Jieting was Zhuge Liang's most significant error. He had just captured three commanderies and the momentum was with him. A shame indeed, perhaps Zhuge Liang was not the best judge of character.

Shi Tong wrote:Zhuge Liang had many faults, like many other people- his main fault is that he didn't manage to invade Wei and destroy it.

I know this is stating the obvious, but that was his remit and he failed, not only that but I think that the invasion of Wei from Shu was possible and if he'd been a little "better" than he was he could have got his job done.

I do not agree with this at all. In my view, Zhuge Liang did very well considering the circumstances. Firstly, consider the fact that Zhuge Liang, upon Liu Bei's death, was personally placed in charge of all affairs (major or minor). To personally lead expeditions against a far superior force while also dealing with the infinite number of other issues was no doubt an extreme responsibilty and too much stress to handle for one man (even one as talented as Kongming). It is not like he could focus solely on the war against Wei, he had many other domestic and political issues to be concerned with. This should be considered when evaluating Zhuge Liang. Secondly, after Jing was taken and Liu Bei was defeated by Wu, Shu's already limited resources had been drained dramatically. Putting Jie Ting aside, Zhuge Liang was constantly forced to retreat due to a lack of supplies, had he had more resources he would have done much better. Also in his SGZ bio, Chen Shou states that Zhuge Liang had very few capable officers to call upon. All these factors must be considered when analysing Lord Zhuge Liang.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:13 pm

Shi Tong wrote:Zhuge Liang had many faults, like many other people- his main fault is that he didn't manage to invade Wei and destroy it.

He certainly did his best, and tha was what counted. Unfortunately he had to deal with the likes of Sima Yi in order to accomplish anything. He probably understood that the fate of the Three Kingdoms would likely come down to future generations and, as such, understood the implications of this for Shu. Unfortunately, he was up definitely outgunned in attacking Wei, and he was also dealing with a very strong enemy nation. Perhaps if Sima Yi wasn't there to oppose him he might have gotten the job done.

But given the fact that it was so hard to launch these campaigns—supplies, resources, troop counts, the attacker’s disadvantage, incompetent leadership at home, an overburden of responsibilities—I would not say he did poorly.

I'll agree that his greatest fault was probably trusting Ma Su.
I wonder what manner of person Ma Su was on other occasions?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium