Han Hao… (s)?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Han Hao… (s)?

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:10 pm

Greetings Scholars!

Han Hao (Yuansi) 韓浩 (元嗣)

We have a quandary. An officer or officers by the name of Han Hao appear in novel chapters 39, 70, and 71. The first appearance is the well-known familiar Han Hao that was convinced by Xiahou Dun to join Cao Cao, formerly an officer of Yuan Shu. This is also the same man that resolved a major problem of the Han Dynasty: kidnapping. He brought about the policy of kill the kidnappers and the kidnapped alike, thus putting an end to the practice.

Later, now speaking from the novel’s text, we see another (or perhaps the same) Han Hao, serving under Cao Hong with Xiahou Shang. He is listed as brother to Han Xuan, late governor of Changsha. Angered over Huang Zhong and Wei Yan’s betrayal and killing of Han Xuan, he asks Cao Hong for permission to fight the old warrior for revenge. Huang Zhong kills him.

Now, first question: Are they one and the same?
Second question: Anyone know where the hell we got the <i>zi</i> Yuansi? :lol:

And if you’ve any stories to share about him, or discussion feel free to chat away. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby JamesD » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:18 pm

The one killed by Huang Zhong is mostly likely fictional like the Dong Xi of Wei. Officers that go after a general and killed in one shot are usually fictional.
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby Zhai Rong » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:39 pm

SGZ Wei 9 mentions his style, quoting Wei Shu.
Zhai Rong
Master

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 pm

That helps a lot. So we know the Han Hao through the beginning is certainly an historic character. Does anyone know if this relation to Han Xuan and a death at Huang Zhong’s hands are mentioned <i>anywhere</i> in history? If not, it would seem Luo Guanzhong either created him as a fictional character (he is given the standard quick-introduction in the later chapter), or intended him to be a continuation of the old Han Hao. A disrespectful ending for an officer with such an interesting background, though.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:30 pm

For some reason, it was surmised (some time after the Three Kingdoms period) that Han Hao was Han Xuan's brother. There's no mention of any relationship historically, but then again, Han Xuan and Han Hao never are mentioned together anyway.

It's unlikely that Han Hao died to Huang Zhong's hands. Of course, we also know that Han Xuan himself didn't die to Wei Yan or Liu Bei, either.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby JamesD » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:48 pm

Another thing is that this one ight be the same one except a timeframe difference. Like Taishi Ci living longer than he should.
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:56 am

I seem to recall that it is the same guy, brother to Han Xuan and rescuer of Xiahou Dun in one instance (where Dun was captured by...Lu Bu? I think?). I might be incorrect though...
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jeremy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:13 am

It does appear that it is the same person. Before, I hadn't looked behind to notice that he was under the Wei forces. He is, and that makes it much more likely that they are one in the same.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:24 am

They are one and the same. If you look at the Koei games, you'll find that Han Hao's biographies usually indicate he is Han Xuan's brother, and he also serves Yuan Shu at one point in several of them.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Jeremy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:46 am

Thanks to James' searching, it appears that they are two different people. This shows that the Han Hao that appears in chapter 39 is Hao Han.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium