Liu Bei - Need Help with an assignment

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Liu Bei - Need Help with an assignment

Unread postby Reaping Clarity » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:58 am

Basically I have an ancient history assignment, It's based on any ancient personality, and I've decided to do Liu Bei.

What I need to know is (I'm having trouble finding) Liu Bei's cultural/social, political and/or economic contribution to his ancient Chinese civilisation.

I'll take whatever information you have, I really want to do well on this assignment.

Thank you in advance

-Joel
Reaping Clarity
Tyro

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:30 pm

umm...i dont think that is considered Ancient because it was around 200AD and not BC
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Reaping Clarity » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:24 am

Yeah, I thought that at first too, but my Teacher doesn't mind :)
Reaping Clarity
Tyro

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:18 pm

Check out his SGZ bio (see 3kingdoms.net for it), which should give you a lot of the base info on Liu Bei's life and events.

As for assessing his cultural, social, political and economic contribution to society it depends on what perspective you take. i.e Are you looking for his cultural contribution made during the 3k era or his impact on China culture in general?
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Reaping Clarity » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:20 pm

Both, basically
Reaping Clarity
Tyro

Unread postby Shi Tong » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:25 pm

I'm not sure about his political and social achevements at the time of SGYY because it's all a bit shrouded in mystery, what with SGZ bio's being different depending on who you read about etc, but I do know what Liu Bei represents today..

Liu Bei- with his brothers- is a god, or at least as close to the idea of a god as we can think of in the west without saying that he's the one supreme.

What's interesting is that even though Liu Bei was the emperor, the way that LGZ wrote SGYY made Guan Yu into a hero who was an amazing general- that's why you can see Guan Gong temples with Zhou Cang and Guan Ping next to him, yet you will not find any Liu Bei temples because, even though he's the god of hero's, he's still not as important culturally for the Chinese.

That said, everyone knows who Liu Bei is but they base their experience on SGYY, not from historical sources, because SGYY is almost taken as truely historical.

I think the reason that a lot of people think of SGYY as more historically accurate in terms of personality is because it's read by younger people in China and Taiwan than I think it's read over here- the legends are told to kids in school who are around age 10, so they dont question the personality which is represented to them- when they read SGYY it becomes like a reality where Cao is evil and Liu is good dispite the historical souces being conflicting.

I hope this helps- if you want to ask anything more specific, post it here and I'll see if I can answer you! :D
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhilong » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:58 am

Liu Bei's temple is with Zhuge Liangs. The latters temple also eclipses Liu Bei's own.

Perhaps you could mention how Liu Bei reinforced the ideal that a benevolent and virtuous ruler could achieve great things even when there were stronger powers around him. His use of ZL and his concern for the people reinforced the idea that good governance and winning the hearts of the ppl made you deserve great things.

Or that someone of low position can rise to be emperor. Liu Bang did it and even though Liu Bei was supposedly of royal lineage he was but a sandal weaver up to that point. There was plenty of other Liu's but they did not have his ability and i think that social mobility is interesting.

You can pretty much use novel or historical sources as long as you are clever with the wording.
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Reaping Clarity » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:41 am

Thanks a lot guys for all your help, I have but one more question.

Where is shu on this map?

http://www.threekingdoms.com/map2.htm
Reaping Clarity
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:03 am

"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Reaping Clarity » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:19 am

Ha great, thanks, just curious though, Why are the colours mixed?
Reaping Clarity
Tyro

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium