Guo Jia vs. Sima Yi

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guo Jia vs. Sima Yi

Unread postby superbodz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:10 am

who was a better strategist? :roll:
superbodz
Tyro

Unread postby suntzu626 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:40 pm

Guo Jia. Althought they are both equal in their advice, Sima Yi has an ambition to take over Wei that Guo Jia does not. The Siams eventually overthrow the Caos, but i don't think Guo Jia would do that. He is too loyal to Cao Cao. If I had a strategist, I would rather have him.
"The only reason that people get lost in thought is because it is unfamilliar territory."
suntzu626
Tyro

Unread postby Roy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:10 pm

I agree, Sima Yi is overly ambitious and so Guo Jia would be the better choice.
For those of you who play or have played nation states, I am the Infamous Lord Watkins.

Ha Ha Ha Ha,
Roy
Changshi

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:00 pm

Guo Jia. Though I doubt he was as good as Sima Yi in the field as a commander he proved to be the very person that could win a conflict before the actual battle started. Personally I believe that's what makes a person a true strategist. Sima Yi was the greatest tactician during 3k era (imho) and an excellent, but not the best, strategist.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Changes » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:34 pm

Sima Yi imho was about the same as Kongming in terms of ability, therefore would that not mean that Guo Jia was a match for Kong Ming?
Changes
Assistant

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:01 pm

maybe, while cao cao said he would have avoided the fire attack at chi bi had only guo jia been alive....although sima yi was good at defence...id say they are all better in certain areas
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:35 pm

I'll say Sima Yi actually. Basically this is mostly because that he did far more than Guo Jia did in his relatively short life. Sure Guo Jia shows talent, and is surely an able strategist, I don't debate that. Remember we are discussing who you think is a more able strategist, not how great or horrible these men were.

Edit: After I posted this, I went up to cast my vote for Sima Yi...only to realize that alas, this isn't a poll...
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:53 am

maybe, while cao cao said he would have avoided the fire attack at chi bi had only guo jia been alive

I thought Cao Cao meant he would have followed the plan laid out by Jia Xu so wouldn't have advanced to Chi Bi so quickly

Althought they are both equal in their advice, Sima Yi has an ambition to take over Wei

He did? I thought he served Wei very loyally, it is a pity his descandants wanted more power.

I think I prefer Sima Yi overall but they are two difffirent types. Jia is an advisor, Sima Yi is a politcal man and a commander, at least to me

Jia: An insightful man, I wouldn't call him more then a close advisor who sometimes suggested things. If you need a plan quick, Jia wasn't nesscirly the best option but he had Cao Cao's trust, a huge advantage over other perhaps more capable advisors.

Sima Yi: Loyal even though he had to be forced into service, his poor showing against Zhuge Liang is a blot on his milatry record but he did seem to learn from it and did beat other skilled generals. He also restored Wei to strength after the incapable rule of Cao Shuang was stopped.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 pm

I think Sima Yi was the most able of the two. Guo Jia may have been better but he didn't do engough in the book to prove this whereas Sima Yi was a dominant character for a large portion of the book.
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
Lord Chuff
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium