Slick's Three Kingdoms Bios

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Slick's Three Kingdoms Bios

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:03 am

Because of problems with microsoft word, I'll be posting all my three kingdoms bios here. Because I can't save documents on my computer for some reason, I'll put up a lot of unfinished stuff. Feel free to comment, give suggestions, ask questions, etc. To start with, here is what I've done with my Zhou Tai Sanguo Yanyi biography so far...

===============

Zhou Tai (Youping)*
周泰 (幼平)
Lifespan C. 163-225 AD

Zhou Tai was a powerful general and warrior who served Wu. After years of fighting, he was famed for acquiring numerous scars and injuries, and in a banquet on one occasion he was able to recount how he received each wound. Though initially starting off his career as a bandit of Jiujiang commandery, Zhou Tai later joined with another pirate and bandit named Jiang Qin and gathered a band of followers with the goal of joining Sun Ce (I). Sun Ce at the time was warring with a retainer of Liu Yao’s named Zhang Ying, and when Zhou Tai and Jiang Qin heard about this they promptly marched to Niuzhu, where Liu Yao’s granaries were located. While Huang Gai, a general of Sun Ce’s, was about to ride forth to duel Zhang Ying, Jiang Qin and Zhou Tai came with their forces and set Zhang Ying’s headquarters ablaze, and because of this Zhang Ying was utterly defeated.

For this deed, both miscreants were allowed to enter into Sun Ce’s army with their band of warriors, and Zhou Tai was given the particular honor of protecting Sun Ce’s brother, Sun Quan, in the city of Xuancheng (II). When a group of thieves attacked and surrounded the city while Sun Ce was away one day, Zhou Tai bravely took Sun Quan in his arms and, armed with nothing but a simple lance, dismounted his horse and slew every rebel that came to fight him, including a mounted warrior. He then stole a horse from the robbers, helped Sun Quan onto the steed and rode to safety, hacking his way through numerous brigands that came at him from all directions. In this skirmish alone, Zhou Tai received over a dozen wounds, which swelled up and pained the warrior tremendously. Zhou Tai’s life hung on the line for many moons, but to Zhou Tai’s great fortune, a famed doctor named Hua Tuo was enlisted by Sun Ce and successfully treated Zhou Tai’s infections. Within a month, Zhou Tai went back to active service.

When Sun Ce died, his brother, Sun Quan, succeeded him. Near the beginning of his reign, Sun Quan made an alliance with Liu Bei in order to try to thwart Cao Cao. Cao Cao decided to test the mettle of the Southland sailors on one occasion by sending out two minor officers, Jiao Chu and Zhang Neng, to fight with Sun Quan’s forces. When Sun Quan’s general Zhou Yu heard of the approach of these ships, he asked for volunteers to intercept and defeat them. Zhou Tai and another commander named Han Dang eagerly accepted the mission. Zhou Tai thus sailed out with Han Dang carrying a sword and a shield. He fended off arrows from the enemy ships with his shield and moved his ship toward Zhang Neng’s vessel as quickly as possible. Once Zhou Tai’s ship was a short distance away from Zhang Neng’s, Zhou Tai leapt off his boat with his sword, caught Zhang Neng by surprise and killed him. Reinforcements later came for Zhang Neng and Jiao Chu from the general Wen Ping, but Wen Ping arrived too late to do anything to help his unlucky allies. Before Zhou Tai and Han Dang could defeat Wen Ping’s fleet, Zhou Yu called the two officers back to camp however. Soon afterwards, Cao Cao would clash with the joint armies of Sun Quan and Liu Bei in the famous battle of Red Cliffs. Zhou Tai, along with his friend Jiang Qin, Han Dang and Chen Wu would lead a squadron of three hundred ships to the fight, and the joint Sun Quan/Liu Bei force would decisively defeat Cao Cao.

Following Wu’s victory at Red Cliffs, Zhou Yu, the Grand Commander of the Wu forces, wished to take Nanjun from the Wei officer Cao Ren. Cao Ren’s forces were set up in an ‘ox-horn formation’ whereby the city of Yiling, which was defended by Cao Hong, would protect against any possible advance into Nanjun. Gan Ning, a general of Wu and former-pirate, therefore suggested that he go seize Yiling first, and thus Nanjun would have to capitulate soon after. Though Gan Ning did take Yiling, once he did so he was immediately surrounded by reinforcements from Nanjun. Zhou Yu was alarmed by this and decided to send reinforcements, but he needed someone to break through the besiegers and deliver the message that help was coming to the defenders of Yiling. Zhou Tai at once offered to go, girded his sword and set out to speak with his comrade. Bursting through the soldiers of Cao Hong’s regiment, Zhou Tai got right up to Yiling’s walls and yelled, “The commander-in-chief is coming. Keep holding out for reinforcements!” After the Southlands generals finally came to support the Wu troops holed up in Yiling, Zhou Tai and Gan Ning surrounded Cao Hong’s unit from both sides and confused it, causing the battle for Yiling to end in a great victory for Wu.

Next when Wu went to take Nanjun, Zhou Tai charged forward and dueled with the Wei commander Cao Ren. Eventually Cao Ren tired and retreated and his soldiers became demoralized by the actions and swiftness of the Wu army. In one day of fighting during the siege of Nanjun, Zhou Yu was wounded in battle though. Cleverly, he thought to use this as a ruse and sometime later he sent two false deserters to pass on fake news that he had died to Cao Ren. Cao Ren, seeking to gain advantage of this, charged forward to raid Zhou Yu’s encampment but when he got there he found no soldiers. As soon as Cao Ren turned around to flee from the area though, Zhou Tai and Pan Zhang came to assault his forces from the West, while numerous other Wu generals attacked him from other sides. The result of this battle was that Cao Ren was forced to flee to Xiangyang, and troops under Liu Bei, Zhou Yu’s ally, seized Nanjun.

Zhou Tai served and distinguished himself in many battles after Nanjun. Near Ruxu, when Cao Cao was traveling on a reconnaissance mission to check the strength of Sun Quan’s army, Zhou Tai and Han Dang attacked Cao Cao’s scouting force and then again assaulted Cao Cao with volleys of arrows, forcing Cao Cao to abandon an attempt to invade the Southlands which belonged to Wu. Zhou Tai also aided Sun Quan in his attacks on Huancheng and Hefei. In the latter battle, the Wu army was caught in a trap and Sun Quan was himself surrounded and imperiled “Where is our lord?” inquired Zhou Tai of his soldiers. Zhou Tai’s troops responded by pointing to a large cluster of Wei soldiers that had surrounded a Wu force. Worried for Sun Quan’s safety, Zhou Tai mustered up his courage and galloped through his enemy’s ranks. He then found Sun Quan and declared, “My lord, follow me, and I will fight my way through your enemies!” Zhou Tai then cut his way through a swathe of men, but when he turned around to see where Sun Quan was, he once again could not locate his lord, and so he charged back into the fray to save his master. Sun Quan, with Zhou Tai at his side again, then rode out of the battlefield as fast as he could, whilst Zhou Tai covered his rear and prevented any attempt to pursue. Zhou Tai received many more wounds that day as a testament to his bravery, and his helmet was damaged from the numerous missiles that the Wei army shot. Nevertheless, Sun Quan made it back to safety.

“I owe my continued existence to Zhou Tai, who thrice came to my aid," said Sun Quan to his officer Lu Meng once he was back in his camp. “But Xu Sheng is still in the thick of the fight, and how can we save him?” he continued. In spite of his wounds, Zhou Tai was eager to prove himself and answered, “I will plunge back in and rescue him.” With his spear, Zhou Tai then rushed into the great masses of Wei soldiers that were still closing in on Xu Sheng and brought back his comrade, though both Xu Sheng and Zhou Tai were severely injured from the battle.

Sun Quan was so pleased with Zhou Tai's meritorious deeds that he honored him with a great banquet. With tears running down his cheeks, Sun Quan embraced Zhou Tai and said, "Twice you saved my life, risking your own in the process, and you have received numerous wounds. It is as if your skin has been engraved and painted with scars and injuries. What sort of a man would I be if I did not treat you as one of my own flesh and blood? Can I regard you, Noble Sir, merely as a unit in my army? You are one of my grandest generals and thus I share the glory you have won, and so too do I share in your joys and sorrows." Sun Quan then bade Zhou Tai to display his wounds before the ministers and officers of Wu. Sun Quan asked how each injury was etched upon Zhou Tai's body, and after Zhou Tai explained how he received each one, Sun Quan allowed him to drink fine wine from a goblet. By the end of the celebration, Zhou Tai was thoroughly intoxicated! As a final reward for Zhou Tai's excellent service, Sun Quan bestowed upon Zhou Tai a green silk parasol and told him to carry the gift on all occassions so that Zhou Tai's enemies and allies might clearly see the general's magnificence. Sun Quan and Cao Cao both sought to pull back their armies after they had fought at Hefei and Ruxu respectively, so Sun Quan went away but honored Zhou Tai by leaving him and his friend Jiang Qin to command the garrison that would guard Ruxu.

Zhou Tai, aged though he was, afterwards participated in Lu Meng's campaign against Guan Yu. During this military expedition, Zhou Tai's friend Jiang Qin offered to duel Guan Yu at one point. After a few bouts though, Jiang Qin fled and Guan Yu pursued, but this was a scheme and soon Zhou Tai and several other commanders ambushed and pushed back Guan Yu. Eventually, Lu Meng defeated Guan Yu and various commanderies of Jing, which were formerly under the leadership of Liu Bei, were thus acquired. Liu Bei heard the news of Guan Yu's defeat and was angry, so he led troops against Wu to avenge Guan Yu and seize Jing. Zhou Tai and Han Dang, among others, were mobilized to stop Shu's attack. Zhou Tai first led soldiers, along with several other officers, to ambush the famed Shu officer Huang Zhong. The old veteran of Shu was hit by an arrow and died of the wound later, but this only incensed Liu Bei further. At Xiaoting, Liu Bei re-organized his army and continued his march against Wu. In one battle, Zhou Tai's brother, Zhou Ping, went out to challenge the Shu officer Guan Xing to a duel, but unfortunately became frightened and was slain. Seeing it unwise to do battle, Zhou Tai retreated into his battle array.

The news of Liu Bei's first successes against Wu armies worried Sun Quan, so Sun Quan sent the relatively young commander and scholar, Lu Xun, to be the new commander-in-chief of Wu. Several Wu officers under Lu Xun's command had been veterans of Wu who had proven themselves on countless occassions. Among them were Zhou Tai and Han Dang, each of which greatly disliked the fact that they were made subordinate to Lu Xun. Lu Xun wasted no time in expressing his opinions and giving orders to those he was supposed to command and nearly all of the Wu officers dejectedly acquiesced to Lu Xun's orders. Zhou Tai broke the silence by saying, "Sun Huan, the nephew of our prince, is surrounded at Yiling and is running low on rations. I venture to petition that relief be sent to him immediately so that Sun Quan's heart may be comforted." "I know all about him. His soldiers are faithful, and he can easily maintain Yiling in a siege. There is no need to reinforce him. When Shu is broken, he will be free to come out," uttered Lu Xun in response.

As the Wu generals filed out of the meeting they had spoken to Lu Xun in, several of them, including Han Dang, expressed contempt at being bossed about by their new leader. "This will be the end of Wu, did you hear what that fool said?" said Han Dang to Zhou Tai as the two colleagues retired to their camps. "I tried him just to see what he would do and noted that he had no plan ready. He may be the death of Wu!" Zhou Tai replied in agreement. The next day, Han Dang spoke up against Lu Xun's orders and expressed his opinions, but Lu Xun threatened to put anybody who disobeyed commands to death. Enmity that Han Dang and Zhou Tai had for Lu Xun only increased after the young commander-in-chief refused to respond to attacks that Liu Bei had launched on various defensive strongholds and after Lu Xun ignored many veteran commanders of Wu when they volunteered to attack Shu. Adding insult to injury, Lu Xun eventually appointed a young junior lieutenant to lead an attack on one of Liu Bei's camps instead of Han Dang, Zhou Tai or Ling Tong. Just as it seemed that several Wu commanders might mutiny, Lu Xun finally sent out orders to prepare for a decisive battle. Zhou Tai was ordered to assault Shu encampments on the South bank of the river near Yiling, while Wu's other officers launched simultaneous strategical attacks. The Wu army set fire to all of Shu's encampments and dealt Liu Bei a decisive defeat. Many Shu officers were killed in Wu's onslaught, and as a last great feat, Zhou Tai managed to cut down the King of the Mang tribesmen Shamo Ke, who had allied with Liu Bei and successfully killed the Wu general Gan Ning earlier in battle (III).

Notes-

(I)-The novel states that Zhou Tai and Jiang Qin went to join Sun Ce because of the latter’s reputation for ‘treating able people very liberally.’ This quote can be interpreted in various ways, but it’s likely that the novel means that the two former criminals hoped to join Sun Ce because they thought Sun Ce would pardon them for their past offenses and because of hope for reward by serving under him.

(II)-Historically, Zhou Tai and Jiang Qin were originally made to be bodyguards of Sun Ce. Later Sun Quan wanted Zhou Tai to be his bodyguard, and Sun Ce granted this request. Zhou Tai did actually defend Sun Quan boldly at Xuancheng, though the attackers of the city were mutinous Shanyue rather than robbers, and Sun Quan also had troops that helped defend Sun Quan. Nevertheless, Sun Quan, and probably the Wu Empire, would not have existed if not for Zhou Tai.

(III)-The slaying of Shamo Ke is the last feat that Zhou Tai is mentioned as doing in the novel. After this, Zhou Tai does not appear in the novel again. Zhou Tai's death is apparently not touched upon in the novel, or at least in the Brewitt-Taylor translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Historically he is recorded as dieing about 3 years after the battle of Yiling in 225 AD.
Last edited by Jordan on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jedi » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:09 am

AWESOME!!!!!!! 8-)
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:11 am

Thanks. I'm only like...1/3 through though...
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:14 am

Definitely a nice job, even if you're not finished...
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:37 am

Wow nevermind. I was closer than I had thought to completion. After that particular attack on Hefei, Zhou Tai doesn't really pop up all that much except at Yiling. :shock:

Anyways I'm done, and I've also proofread it. Now I need to find something else to do. :/
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:20 am

Excellent! You may want to note that Zhou Ping was fictional, but again, this is a nitpick.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:35 am

Now...for Zhuge Dan.

Zhuge Dan (Gongxiu)*
諸葛誕 (公休)
Lifespan ?-258 AD

Zhuge Dan was an officer of Wei (I) and a cousin of the famous Shu Prime Minister Zhuge Liang. While Zhuge Dan's illustrious cousin was alive, the Wei government did not trust Zhuge Dan and so he had been assigned to relatively minor military posts. Once Zhuge Liang died, however, Zhuge Dan ascended the ranks of Wei quickly. Guanqiu Jian, an officer of Wei, at one point revolted against Wei with the cities of Xiangcheng and Shouchun. Zhuge Dan was ordered to participate in a campaign against Guanqiu Jian and distinguished himself by seizing the city of Shouchun. Sima Shi, the Wei leader during this campaign, was quite ill during the fight, but before he died he gave Zhuge Dan the title of 'General who Guards the East.' In time, Wei also promoted Zhuge Dan to become the Lord of Gaoping and the commander of all Wei troops South and East of the Huai River.

At the time when Zhuge Dan was at the height of his prestige, Wei was beginning to conquer Shu and Sima Zhao, who had succeeded Sima Shi and obtained a lot of power within the Wei court, started using the Wei Emperor as a puppet. Sima Zhao desired to eventually overthrow Wei, but wanted to figure out which officials supported him. Because of this, he sent an emissary named Jia Chong to speak with Zhuge Dan and try to win Dan over to his side. After Jia Chong praised Zhuge Dan's services, he was treated courteously and invited to a banquet. Once Zhuge Dan was thoroughly intoxicated with wine, Jia Chong said, "Lately in Luoyang there has been much talk of the weakness and lack of ability of the Emperor. Now General Sima Zhao comes of a family noted for state service for many generations. His own services and virtues are high as the heavens, and he is the man best fitted to take the rulership of Wei. Is this not your opinion?" Zhuge Dan was incensed when he heard what Jia Chong wanted however and replied, "You are a son of Jia Kui of Yu Province, yet you dare speak of rebellion! If the state is on its' last legs then one ought to stand up for it even to the death!"

Seeing that he couldn't persuade Zhuge Dan to give up his loyalties to Wei, Jia Chong unhappily returned to his master Sima Zhao. Sima Zhao decided that Zhuge Dan was a threat to his ambition and began to prepare troops to combat him. At the same time, Sima Zhao dispatched a messenger delivering the news that Zhuge Dan had been appointed to be Minister of Works and needed to come to the capital. The messenger that Sima Zhao sent irritated Zhuge Dan, who realized that he was being tricked by Sima Zhao. So Zhuge Dan put the envoy to death. Afterwards, Zhuge Dan rode to the territories Wei held in Yangzhou to speak to an Inspector of Wei, Yue Chen, about the matter. Yue Chen foolishly had raised the drawbridge and close the gates of his city and Zhuge Dan cried, "How dare this fellow Yue Chen treat me thus?" Then 10 of Zhuge Dan's bravest generals crossed the moat of Yue Chen's city, scaled the walls and slew all the guards who opposed giving Zhuge Dan entrance. The Imperial Protector of Yangzhou, Yue Chen, was frightened and locked himself up in a tower, but Zhuge Dan himself boldly climbed the building and met with Yue Chen face to face. Zhuge Dan then reproached Yue Chen and screamed, "Your father, Yue Jing, enjoyed the bounty of Wei. Yet you have not sought to repay the kindness of the Ruling House, and instead have the audacity to aid the brigand Sima Zhao!" Before Yue Chen could answer to these insults, Zhuge Dan furiously cut him down.

With Yue Chen dead, Zhuge Dan thus absorbed the troops that Wei held in Yangzhou into his army. He then sent a letter to the capital, Luoyang, detailing the many faults of the Sima family. Gathering the militia south and East of the river Huai, Zhuge Dan prepared for a long war with Sima Zhao. Then Zhuge Dan sent his son, Zhuge Jing, as a hostage to Wu, thus engineering an alliance with Wu's Prime Minister, Sun Chen, against Sima Zhao. Zhuge Dan thought all was going well with his rebellion, and also thought he had the Wei Emperor's support. Soon Sima Zhao went to attack Zhuge Dan with the Emperor of Wei, Cao Mao, and the Empress under his command however, and thus the devious minister of the Sima house eliminated the possibility of the Wei Emperor wresting power from him while he was away.

When Guanqiu Jian had revolted against Wei prior to Zhuge Dan's own rebellion, he had joined forces with a former commander of Wei's named Wen Qin. Zhuge Dan's prior occupation of Shouchun forced Wen Qin to flee to Wu, but when he heard that another stand had been made against Wei, Wen Qin sent his troops to assist his former adversary, Zhuge Dan, with his brave sons Wen Yang and Wen Hu. Zhuge Dan, supported by auxiliary troops from Wu and Wen Qin, thus felt confident enough to lead an assault against Sima Zhao, who had come to the South with mighty armies numbering several hundred thousand. In response, Sima Zhao ingeniously had one of his officers carry tons of valuables which were spilled along a road that the forces of Wu passed through, and because of this the Wu allies that Zhuge Dan had were distracted and occupied themselves with gathering up valuables rather than with fighting. Zhuge Dan, without the support of his comrades, was soon overwhelmed by Sima Zhao and forced to retreat into Shouchun. After the Wu general Zhu Yi was routed by Sima Zhao's armies soon afterwards, Sima Zhao laid siege to Zhuge Dan's city.

Zhuge Dan was hard-pressed from the start, and soon three retainers of his, Quan Wei, Quan Duan and Quan Yi, all defected to the camp of Sima Zhao. Zhuge Dan became miserable and stubborn as the straits of his forces grew worse. Two of his advisors, Jiao Yi and Jiang Ban, said to him, "The supplies of the city are running low, yet the soldiers we have are many. If Sima Zhao's siege continues, we will not able to last long, but while your soldiers' morale is high, you should go to engage the Wei troops with your Wu allies." Zhuge Dan had been extremely upset with his last defeat at the hands of Sima Zhao however, and he didn't want to sally out of Shouchun to engage his enemies again. He angrily turned on his loyal officers and shouted, "Why do you tell me to fight when I am set on holding out till the very last? If you suggest such egregious schemes again, I shall have you killed as traitors!" Jiao Yi and Jiang Ban afterwards knew that their lord's cause was hopeless, so in the middle of the night they too slipped over the walls of Shouchun and went over to Sima Zhao's camp.

While starvation loomed over the city of Shouchun, Sima Zhao's soldiers began to construct walls to withstand the flooding that usually occurred in autumn. Unfortunately, the season was dry though, and Zhuge Dan's last hope of resisting Sima Zhao flickered as soon as he learned that the rivers nearby Shouchun would not overrun his enemies. Wen Qin and other officers of Zhuge Dan grew anxious with their lord's depression and the lack of rations that their city had. "The northern troops should be sent away in order to save food," suggested Wen Qin to Zhuge Dan (II). But Zhuge Dan could not be persuaded to have troops leave and exploded with anger at Wen Qin's suggestion saying, "Is it that you wish to kill me that you propose to send the northern soldiers away?" Zhuge Dan then cruelly murdered Wen Qin and because of this misdeed, Wen Qin's stalwart sons mutinied against Zhuge Dan and massacred tons of Shouchun's defenders. Then Wen Qin's two sons escaped to join Sima Zhao's soldiers.

Wen Qin's sons were both given ranks and treated kindly by Sima Zhao, which caused the troops guarding Shouchun to lose the will to continue holding out. "If even the children of Wen Qin have been dealt with generously by Sima Zhao, cannot we surrender and receive the same treatment?" complained several of them. Zhuge Dan heard such statements and was enraged. He started becoming paranoid and began to patrol the city of Shouchun constantly, putting to death anybody who treatened to surrender. The conditions in Shouchun were squalid as Zhuge Dan kept stubbornly resisting and Sima Zhao would not relent with his attack. Finally, as Sima Zhao's men were assailing Shouchun rigorously, one of Zhuge Dan's officers named Zeng Xuan treacherously opened the north gate of the city so that Sima Zhao's troops poured into the city of Shouchun like a vicious torrent. Zhuge Dan, hearing that Wei soldiers had breached the defenses of his stronghold, rode out of the city to try to flee to Wu, but as he reached the drawbridge of Shouchun he was slain by a Wei general named Hu Fen. Many of his followers, specifically the men who made up his guard, were still loyal to Zhuge Dan, and refused to serve Sima Zhao. They, along with all of Sima Zhao's family, were slaughtered, and thus the last great threat to Sima Zhao's authority was eliminated.

Notes-

*-This is a Sanguo Yanyi biography, meaning its' focus is the character Zhuge Dan as he is portrayed in the book Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

(I)-Zhuge Dan's service in Wei is not described much in the novel. Historically he did help put down Guanqiu Jian's rebellion, which is ironic because Zhuge Dan later rebelled in the same city as Guanqiu Jian. But he also fought against the Wu officer Zhuge Ke in the service of Wei, which is even more ironic because if Zhuge Dan was really the cousin of Zhuge Dan, by fighting against Zhuge Ke he was clashing with his own relative, the son of Zhuge Liang's brother. The translated version of Zhuge Dan's Sanguozhi on Empire Divided TK interestingly does not ever state that Zhuge Dan was the cousin of Zhuge Liang.

(II)-This quote, with perhaps some slight modifications, appears to have been taken directly from Zhuge Dan's Sanguozhi biography. And what Zhuge Dan did to Wen Qin afterwards follows what occurred historically. Zhuge Dan probably grew suspicious of Wen Qin when the latter wanted to lead troops out of the city to gather supplies. As many from Zhuge Dan's camp had betrayed to Wei, Zhuge Dan likely thought that Wen Qin, who might have held a grudge against Zhuge Dan, was going to do the same. Zhuge Dan completely ignored Wen Qin's advice and had a falling out with him, eventually slaying him out of distrust historically.
Last edited by Jordan on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:01 am

Zhuge Dan. Awesome! :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:25 am

I'll finish it after taking a nap or something. I'm feeling woozy. :?

Edit-Done. :devil:

Now uh...I might be taking a break from writing bios for awhile.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby JamesD » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:49 pm

Great job SlickSlicer.
JamesD
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium