The true reason Cao Cao attacked Wu at Chibi

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Why did Cao Cao Attack Wu?

He wanted Wu itself
71%
He wanted to kill Sun Quan
5%
He wanted the Qiao sisters
23%

Total votes : 56

The true reason Cao Cao attacked Wu at Chibi

Unread postby Jedi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:55 pm

So what do you guys think?
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jedi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:56 pm

OOPs I forgot to put the 3rd one in can a Mod plz put in he wanted the Qiao Sisters to the Poll?
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby suntzu626 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:49 pm

Cao Cao is always one to think politicaly. He wouldnt spend military resorces just to kill one man or posses two women. They could be spent elsewhere, like Shu or Yi. Cao Cao wanted all of the Wu nation.
"The only reason that people get lost in thought is because it is unfamilliar territory."
suntzu626
Tyro

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:53 pm

well to get wu he probally would of had to kill sun quan...im going to say it was because he wanted wu
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:52 am

I think it was more of a statement that warlords will not be tolerated. governors must accept central rule and cannot act on their own accord. If they act on their own their loyalty cannot be relied upon.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Banishing Blade » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:18 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I think it was more of a statement that warlords will not be tolerated. governors must accept central rule and cannot act on their own accord. If they act on their own their loyalty cannot be relied upon.

AFAIK, China always had a problem with independent warlords. Around 208 AD, if my memory serves correctly, Cao Cao possessed quite a chunk of northern China. At the same time, Ma Teng posed a threat on Cao Cao's flank, while Sun Quan resided in the south with (I'd assume) a larger and well-fortified force. Why go after Sun Quan and risk a major defeat if you could subdue the likes of Ma Teng with much less effort?

Personally, I believe Cao Cao wanted the lands of Wu for himself. It made the most sense at the time -- Ma Teng could be defended against, whilst opportunity presented itself in the south should Cao Cao be able to capture it. The problem was, he didn't.

The whole Qiao incident might have been correct had this been a SGYY discussion -- I vaguely remember it being mentioned in the novel. However, realistically... I can't honestly picture an intelligent man like Cao Cao wasting precious resources over two beautiful women. Outnumbered, he managed a victory over the Yuans in the north -- it's doubtful he'd risk a large part of his force for two women.
Banishing Blade
Student

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:31 pm

The Qiao part in SSYY is a joke from Zhuge Liang. He mentions the "two Qiaos" in Cao Zhi's poem being the wife of Sun Cer and Zhou Yu. It was actually a word play of "bridge" on the bronze bird tower. Remember Cao Zhi's original idea to connect the 3 towers with 2 bridges? The word bridge is basically pronounced as "Qiao". ZGL did that to piss off Zhou Yu.

In the story, Cao Cao DID mention the getting to two Qiaos to himself, but that had nothing to do with the poem. Cao Cao only mentioned it once in the entire story.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:12 pm

He wanted to kill Liu Bei, I think. Otherwise why would he ask Sun Quan to surrender?
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:11 am

Moving to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium...
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby Son of Dragon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:42 am

That's funny, these options mean nothing
Cao Cao is a governer. He will never launch a war just for kill one man. He attack Wu because he pursues Liu Bei and attack by the way.
Son of Dragon
Apprentice

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium