Searching for more on Li Dian.

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Searching for more on Li Dian.

Unread postby Jer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:29 am

Throughout my reading of RTK I couldn't help but become attached to this, in my opinion, remarkable man. The further I read on, the less I heard of him which was very disappointing to me. I've perused countless sites and read many short biographies, but never learned more then that of what I already knew.

What I have read I admire, and what I want is more! If anyone can enlighten me about this hero's life I'd be very grateful. Thank you!
Jer
Scholar

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:40 am

I just know that he was fighting against Wu at Hefei with Zhang Liao. That alone is pretty impressive. Wu could have pwned Wei there with their numbers. I kind of wish they had. :/
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WarriorWorthAThousand » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:20 am

Dunno if you've checked wikipedia, but for their standards his bio is fairly good (that is, not constantly vandalized).

In case you haven't looked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Dian
(having just been hit in the eye with Cao Xing's arrow) "Essence of my father, blood of my mother, I can not throw this away!" ~gulp~
WarriorWorthAThousand
Initiate

Unread postby JamesD » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:34 am

WarriorWorthAThousand wrote:Dunno if you've checked wikipedia, but for their standards his bio is fairly good (that is, not constantly vandalized).

Don't trust wikipedia. Anyone can add info.

A thing about Li Dian is he died to early, if he lived longer he could've done a lot more.
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:41 am

JamesD wrote:
WarriorWorthAThousand wrote:Dunno if you've checked wikipedia, but for their standards his bio is fairly good (that is, not constantly vandalized).

Don't trust wikipedia. Anyone can add info.

A thing about Li Dian is he died to early, if he lived longer he could've done a lot more.

Just because anybody can add information doesn't mean the page editors are always wrong. I admit that there is a bit of lacking in their 3kingdoms sections but that doesn't necessarily imply that everything you see on wikipedia is wrong and can't be trusted. :'(
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:36 am

*Sigh* Thank you all for your responses. I've checked Wikipedia long ago as well. It's a shame that he died so young, he could have aspired to great things.
Jer
Scholar

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:05 am

Hey Jer I found something for you. Shu-Han Zhao Lie Di translated a Sanguozhi biography for Li Dian on Three Kingdoms Frontier. 8-)

Here's a link- http://www.3kingdoms.net/forum/showthre ... post130103
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lafeel » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:28 pm

He was one of those officers that just does his job quietly, and never even tries to hog the spotlight, unlike so many others I could mention..

He was also at Bo Wan Po, as well as He Fei, not to mention being with Cao Cao from virtually the start..

Real shame he doesn't get the attention, and or recognition, he deserves. Hope you find more info on him. :)

Jer wrote:It's a shame that he died so young, he could have aspired to great things.

Young? Considering how long it had been since his first appearance in the novel, he must have been at least in his 40's at that stage..Still a lot of people lived longer than that..
Lafeel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MarvelousLingTong!!!!!! » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:23 pm

Young? Considering how long it had been since his first appearance in the novel, he must have been at least in his 40's at that stage

His biography here on this site says he died when he was 39, but there is still some dispute over whether that is true or not.
"Nooooooooo hot sexy wife!!!" - Martin Schean
MarvelousLingTong!!!!!!
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:37 pm

Ah, thank you! From all of my readings, it appears he died in his 30s or so. It's a shame he couldn't have had the lifespan of a Ding Feng :wink:.
Jer
Scholar

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium